SASS Wire Forum

1897 Cycling Troubles

Col Del Rio

I have 2 rather old 1987 Winchester pumps.  Both have problems cycling/ejecting spent shells. The guns fire just fine, then they jam upon cycling the pump.  I’ve tried several different kinds of ammo but the same result of jamming. 

Any suggestions, recommendations?

Del Rio

They both have the same problem? Have you cleaned them? 97s can be a bit finnicky if they are dirty or have old oil/grease that's got all hardened at stuff.

Don't ask me how I know. :D

1 minute ago, Col Del Rio said:

Guess I'd better do it

My first 97 was a bear to work. It took awhile to get the mag tube to turn and the slide to go forward to take it down. After I got it apart, I soaked the bolt and carrier in a jar of denatured alcohol for a couple of days to break all the gunk loose. After that, I started going after the hardened deposits with a small pick. I found screws I didn't know were supposed to be there. There could be other problems, you know how it goes, but you gotta start somewhere. I know there's smarter folk here than me that can help, too.

your magazine tube could be bent or out of round ,barrel chamber ring could be out of round , is your extractor broken ? sounds like a tare down and a good cleaning may be in order .

Woodfox

Archived