SASS Wire Forum

Cheap shaving options

Used Harry's for a while now especially since wally world picked em up.

Caveat: I shave in the shower since it softens the whisker.

That being said the blades work as well or better than a mach3. And being the cheapskate I am I change em every 4-6 months and still get a close shave.

I have a beard but I do shave my neck and part of my face. I mostly use a Braun electric.

I have a double edge razor that was my fathers and also a 5 blade razor that takes way too expensive blades! The electric is quick and easy. It doesn’t do an excellent job but it’s good enough for an old guy with a beard .:lol:

I buy the cheap disposable 2 blade hoes they sell at Walmart.  Most are very good, but usually 1 or 2 in the pack only last a few shaves.  And plus 1 on shaving in the shower.      GW

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have a beard but I do shave my neck and part of my face. I mostly use a Braun electric.

I have a double edge razor that was my fathers and also a 5 blade razor that takes way too expensive blades! The electric is quick and easy. It doesn’t do an excellent job but it’s good enough for an old guy with a beard .:lol:

I also use a Braun and have a beard. :)

I have used a Braun for the past 17 years. 

On to Marshal’s question. I work with several guys that swear by Harry’s products. They are very happy with them and they all started using Harry’s because of one guy convincing them to try them and drop their expensive “Quantum 5 blade Teflon enhanced girl catcher latest and greatest blade ‘systems”.

Not sure if they switched because they are all cheapskates or if Harry’s is actually better.  

Wilkinson's Sword and Zest bath soap in the shower unless I want or need a more precise shave.  The I use the same razor, Co. Ichabod Conk's bd shaving soap with a boats hait brush, and then I shave over the sink with a mirror up close.

Rinse thoroughly with water as hot as you can stand.

I still finish up with Grand Bay bay rum (because my favorite brand is no longer made).  The smell doesn't last very long, which I'm okay with, and it sort of sterilizes my face

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Try using a cheap cream rinse in the shower vice shaving cream. I know a few ladies that swear by it vice using regular shaving cream.

I actually like using the regular liquid hand soap in the pump dispensers. To me works better than shaving clean.

Derby blades in a Gillette Knack razor. Col Conk Badger brush with Van Der Hagen soap and Pinaud's Aftershave [yup, the old barber shop stuff].

I dare not use a straight razor. I live out in the country and paramedics are 25 minutes away on a good day. :wacko:

Whatever razor is on sale.

Gel cream. Brush.

But after I retire and no longer am required to be clean shaven,  I'll not spend much effort on shaving.

A $5 bag of BIC razors and a $2 can of Barbasol last me about a year. With a mustache and chin whiskers and shaving maybe twice a week it’s not much of an investment. 

Seamus

I am partial to a good safety razor.  Although I have a couple that are not cheap.   My favorite for serious mowing is a Maggard slant, about $15 and blades run $25/100.  I like Gillette silver blues.  I also like my Rockwell but it’s a bit more expensive.  Then for special occasions, I have a BBS.  

Archived