SASS Wire Forum

Frist match tomorrow.

Frybread Fred

First match tomorrow.  Not gonna lie, am a bit nervous,  just hope they don't laugh too hard. :lol:

Was supposed to have shot last Sunday, but ended up having a tooth extraction and bone graft insert that got rescheduled to the Friday before.  I was not really feeling it at that time.  Shotgun shooting probably would have been a bit painful too, as it was on my right side and would have made for an uncomfortable cheek weld.

Jaw feels quite a bit better now, but still not 100%.  Should be shootable though.

My brother and a guy that works for me were supposed to have came, but brother has an infection and friend has an unexpected trip out of town to make, so I will be going alone.  Never met any of the other club members, just emailed back and forth with one a bit.  Seemed like a nice enough fella.

Oh, and I will be dressed appropriately, just wish it was going to be warmer.  High in the mid 30's is projected.  XXX happened to the 60's and 70's earlier this week????  Gotta love Ohio weather.............

Undecided if I want to bring my 38/.357 guns or .45's.  May bring both, but that is a lot of iron to lug around.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Best of Luck, relax and have fun!  Bring the guns that you shoot best - leave the others home!

Most of my cowboy guns are new to me, so no clue which ones shoot best.  I have hunted and shot all my life, but only levers were 45/70 and .22's.  Shot a few single action .22's and a .45 that I have had for years, but never practiced a lot with them.  Mostly semi auto's and MSR's, bolt action hunting rifles.

Had planned on doing a few practice sessions before hand but between work being absolutely nuts and the weather have not had a chance to get out but once for a couple hours,  managed to function test the new guns but that is about it.

You may be used to dealing with cold weather, but I suggest keeping your gloves on until you are ready to shoot, and if you have a "hot-hands" warming pack or similar to keep in your gloves so much the better.  Good luck!

Nothing beats the knee shake of your first match.

Welcome aboard the best game and folks goin'. Hold on for the addiction!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Don't forget your gear!
I forgot my holsters  for my first match!

Had everything laid out on Friday night, and set my gunbelt/holsters aside while I put the guns in the car -- Holsters never made it.
Embarrassing, but I still had a good time.
Watched the unloading table, & made a bunch of new friends.

That was over 20 years ago, & over that time, I've been loving every minute of it.

So, relax & have fun -- Yule be fine!!

Welcome to the party.

--Dawg

Fun is the name of the game.  I have zero illusions about ever setting any kind of speed records.

I will be over the moon if I shoot a clean stage, but don't expect it to happen right away.

I really can't wait, been driving my wife nuts with all the videos I have been watching

I have everything set out and ready, ammo, gunbelt, holsters, eye and ears all packed, forgetting something is something I do on a regular basis so trying to double and triple check stuff.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advise!

Have the match director assign you a coach to help you through the stages. Ask the timer/operator for coaching if you get confused.  Shoot near the end of each stage so you can watch and understand.  Learn from others mistakes.  There are usually some.

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Some folks picture the audience nekkit when they speak in public. I did that once when reading a stage. I won't do that again! But, someone I know thinks about boobs before the beep. I think it works for him.

Hah!  I don't think with the weather, as well as this is a small club there will be much of an audience (probably a good thing), and most of the members from what I understand are older men.  I certainly don't have any desire to see that kind of flesh parade!  :lol:

23 minutes ago, Frybread Fred said:

I have everything set out and ready, ammo, gunbelt, holsters, eye and ears all packed, forgetting something is something I do on a regular basis so trying to double and triple check stuff.

Don't forget your guns.  BeenThereDoneThat. :)

Don't worry we have all been exactly where you are.

Besides the obvious remember to breathe.

When the timer beeps you will forget everything. Don't worry the TO will be there to assist you. 

As BWJ said concentrate on shooting clean don't worry about how long a stage takes. Very few shooters shoot clean their first match because they concentrate on speed and forget everything else.

A wise shooter once told me, "When you shoot slower the fun lasts longer."

Yeehaw!!!!

You will be overwhelmed with advise, and help...and just smile and say "Thank You" and enjoy!

Be safe, watch your muzzle, hang on to your guns and all will be hunky dory.

Don't think about the time...just hit the targets and time will come.

Post photos and update later!

4 hours ago, Frybread Fred said:

First match tomorrow.  Not gonna lie, am a bit nervous,  just hope they don't laugh too hard. :lol:

Was supposed to have shot last Sunday, but ended up having a tooth extraction and bone graft insert that got rescheduled to the Friday before.  I was not really feeling it at that time.  Shotgun shooting probably would have been a bit painful too, as it was on my right side and would have made for an uncomfortable cheek weld.

Jaw feels quite a bit better now, but still not 100%.  Should be shootable though.

My brother and a guy that works for me were supposed to have came, but brother has an infection and friend has an unexpected trip out of town to make, so I will be going alone.  Never met any of the other club members, just emailed back and forth with one a bit.  Seemed like a nice enough fella.

Oh, and I will be dressed appropriately, just wish it was going to be warmer.  High in the mid 30's is projected.  XXX happened to the 60's and 70's earlier this week????  Gotta love Ohio weather.............

Undecided if I want to bring my 38/.357 guns or .45's.  May bring both, but that is a lot of iron to lug around.

All the best I started last November so a new shooter as well :) If you love guns and like shooting then you will be all right :) What I did was try to take the time and shoot clean and enjoyed doing it. 

Fellow shooter from ohio here, glad to have ya. If you ever make it down to the middletown, xenia, or piqua shoots it would be good to meet you. Like others have said you'll have plenty of help and advise. I've met some of the best people I know in this sport and I’ll never regret signing up. I've been in for about 5 years and just got the life membership last year. Well worth it in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Frybread Fred said:

Good luck!  When you hear the beep, take a deep before firing. 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Good luck!  When you hear the beep, take a deep Breath before firing. 

Have fun... and like others have said... we all had a first stage, match... and look, we survived!  If they laugh... they're laughing because they're remembering their first match!

Only two rules matter in this game!  

1: Be safe

2: Have fun

The rest will take care of itself if you always follow those two!!

:D  Don't forget to load your guns!

Nothing's worse than jumping onto the firing line with gusto only to go.... click, click, click, click, click...  :P

Mo

6 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Nothing's worse than jumping onto the firing line with gusto only to go.... click, click, click, click, click...  :P

Mo

Hmmmm....seen that at 2 big matches!!!

One C&B that Big Ted (RIP) from Italy, forgot to charge. (When he realized, he made the pew-pew sound)

And the other was Capitan Regulator, while at the loading table, addressed an issue, and started his GF pistol run...with all 10 rounds hanging forgotten on his belt. (He still placed 5th!!!)

So, first two matches under my belt.  Shot the morning and afternoon matches.

Not one, but TWO first place ribbons.

Had a blast.  Gotta say I am hooked.  Had a couple three clean stages, but gotta work on my sweep counting, mixed a few up which cost me some proceedurals.  I think I only had three misses for both matches, so I have that going for me which is nice.

Would have been much better if not so damn cold.  Was 25 for the morning and warmed up to a balmy 34 when I left after helping to tear down the range and put everything away.

20220327_154145.thumb.jpg.d14d968c3fe4e798e3dd22d88a11abe8.jpg

Ok, so I was the only one in my category (picked age based) and for the first match was only me and the  club president, second match there were three of us.

6 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Mo

A couple years ago, I did that twice... in ONE match! Only loaded one revolver, but I did it on two different stages. :lol: I think it's the only time in 30 years of this that it's happened to me. Another time, I charged my C&B pistols at my gun cart, holstered, went to the loading table, capped them, holstered and went to the line - pop, pop, pop, pop, pop... I never put the balls in! Monthlies have been dwindling so much at some clubs lately, there just aren't enough people to have a TO, shooter, 3 spotters, LTO, UTO, scorekeeper, someone loading, and someone unloading.

I've also showed up with mismatched guns & ammo twice, no leather once, no gun cart once, and no shoes once - I'll often wear Crocs or moccasins while driving to a match, then put my boots on when I get there - got there, and no boots! My soft soled moccasins were appropriate enough, but walking on gravel for four hours in essentially suede socks really sucked.

We shoot many of the sweeps over and over again.  Eventually you will know how to shoot them without much thinking.  (Just don't shoot the sweeps for the previous stages.)  Regarding the weather, if your ammo went bang in 25-degree temps you have good ammo.  Some download their ammo so severely that it is unreliable in freezing weather.

6 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

We shoot many of the sweeps over and over again.  Eventually you will know how to shoot them without much thinking.  (Just don't shoot the sweeps for the previous stages.)  Regarding the weather, if your ammo went bang in 25-degree temps you have good ammo.  Some download their ammo so severely that it is unreliable in freezing weather.

All loaded by myself, except the shotgun shells.

3.2gn Cleanshot, Federal small rifle match primers 125gn LRNFP bullets.  Damn primer shortage means using small rifles in place of pistols.  I really don't notice any difference.

I had zero failure to fire.

Archived