SASS Wire Forum

Probably where it all started from for me

Buckshot Bear

i cant say i saw these - i did see the old B&W westerns on TV when it was on the air - yes i saw the test pattern waiting for the channel to come on , back before the 24/7 occurred we had limited viewing hours , but i never got into comic books of any genre 

This was mine. Bought it the summer before 5th grade. That has been a while ago. 

20220326_072525.jpg

Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Bob Steele, Lash La Rue and several others I can not name anymore.

We didn’t have a TV for a long time (maybe 1 year) after all my friends families got one. You could always find me at one or another of my friends homes watch the 1/2 hour(?) Cowboy shows in the afternoon. I rode my first two wheel steed with my Hoppy straw Stetson and double cap gun rig. I was ready to protect the neighborhood from outlaws and Indians. :)

CJ

I never read Western books as a kid. I was into books about Mountain Men. Kit Carson and Jim Bridger. 
My western heroes were on TV and in movies. I liked them very much. Then I saw The Good, The Bad and the Ugly at a drive in movie. It was the second feature of double feature night. I really cannot remember what the first movie was that played that night. 
I was mesmerized. I was probably 6 years old but that night I became a Clint Eastwood fan. 
I will never forget my parents both about jumped out of the skins when at the end of the movie I blurted out how great I thought that movie was and could we see more like it. They thought I had fallen asleep like my brothers and sisters. 

41 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Used to love Commando comics as well

Now yer talking. I read every WW2 comic I could get my hands on. Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos, the Haunted Tank, Men of War, Lt. Johnny Cloud, G.I. Combat. :D

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Now yer talking. I read every WW2 comic I could get my hands on. Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos, the Haunted Tank, Men of War, Lt. Johnny Cloud, G.I. Combat. :D

My best mate (we're still mates and he was my best man) used to swap them back and forth until they literally fell apart.

I wish I still had them today Bob as I'd love to read them.

Sgt_Fury_Howling_Commandos_No._1.jpg.61c50cb3d7fd96294aa74f37e9acd678.jpg

4848_stand_and_fight.webp.14229d0b3d35bea3983b0275f232737e.webp

article-2034167-0DA2F72D00000578-540_233x349.jpg.b901fa82a8fec7a1ebe50e0601f13fdc.jpg

Capture.JPG.09287fd0a36c30c35cb9526e71e7bc4e.JPG

images.jpg.468d46928fbd5d22fe70f4ae632bb25d.jpg

trutruw.thumb.JPG.4fa3c5d78d3b78a3ff61fc588199596a.JPG

I thought we were talking about “cowboy” related stuff and the attraction to it. :)

Well, I was also a cop show nut when I was a kid and I loved reruns of Superman. It’s probably where I got my love or desire to own “police style revolvers”. While all my friends wanted 1911 style toy guns for playing “Army” I wanted a revolver. I was nuts about shows and reruns, like; The Untouchables, Dragnet, Adam 12, Peter Gunn, F.B.I, etc.

I was also a complete Sci-Fi nut as well, but they didn’t carry revolvers…

When I was little I was also amazed that Superman stood up to bad guys and their bullets but the one thing that made him duck was a Colt’s Detective Special. I actually thought that “This must be a special kind of gun!” (I was like 4 or 5 years old) and I wanted one for years. I just never could seem to find one when I could afford it or I found them when I couldn’t. Finally a couple of years ago I traded a Glock 26 for a Colt’s DS. It was actually carried by a Detective as his duty gun. Now I have the gun that the greatest super hero of all time cannot stand up to. :lol:

B39B2BD2-12ED-4085-A8D4-2EA1A348A1E0.thumb.jpeg.da3af583347606f7479c8bc5b69b0502.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

One of my favorite Lois L'Amour books is Flint.

Definitely one of my favorites, along with The Key-Lock Man, and the Kilkenny series. It was probably the Sackett series that got me started on his books, though. Between those and John Wayne movies, I developed my interest in things western.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

020119213930rOH1lSorHe1gpmia.jpg

This is one of my favorite comic series. I have several of his books and a framed picture of Hipshot and Belle Starr. I was brought up watching the 50's and 60's tv shows, western comic books like Kid Colt, and Louis L'amour books.20220401_231245.thumb.jpg.11a689154cd285dd87664f73b17607d1.jpg

The only Rick O'Shay comic I ever read was in the colored Sunday funnies.
We found it when we were remodeling the old home place.
Tore up linoleum in what was my bedroom and found the home's builder used colored Sunday funnies as linoleum underlaiment.

All three of us -- little  brother, myself, dear old Dad -- immediately stopped all work, dropped to our hands and knees, and read WWII era colored funnies with an absolute, fascinated delight!
There was no way to salvage that fragile old paper, long since welded to varnished wood beneath, but I remember Rick O'Shay was bare to the waist and firing genuine US Army Issue, dynamite arrows, into a German convoy, to great cartoonish effect!

For myself, it was listening to the radio, then Western Comic books, I did stray in 1954/55 when we got a TV set and Saturday Mornings of Tom Corbett Space Cadet and Space Patrol, then it was back to Roy, Gene and Hoppy and all the "B" Westerns. I remember one cowboy "B" western star whose real name was so western, that all Of us boys waited to see each Saturday the limited small amount of movies he made, Reb Russel and his horse Rebel.

Archived