SASS Wire Forum

Costuming

Smokestack SASS#87384

35 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Traveling to the big shoots, one of the things I always get tickled at is breakfast. You're sitting there eating the free continental breakfast at your choice hotel, and everybody's staring at you. They don't want to walk up to you and find out if there is, in fact, a rodeo in town. 

They just sit there and stare.

I usually stare back, but it's because the coffee ain't kicked in yet.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Traveling to the big shoots, one of the things I always get tickled at is breakfast. You're sitting there eating the free continental breakfast at your choice hotel, and everybody's staring at you. They don't want to walk up to you and find out if there is, in fact, a rodeo in town. 

They just sit there and stare.

I've had it happen in stores. I just tell them my mother dresses me funny after I've caught them staring a few times! They usually get embarrassed and then ask something like " Hey where's Festus".

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

I usually stare back, but it's because the coffee ain't kicked in yet.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've had it happen in stores. I just tell them my mother dresses me funny after I've caught them staring a few times! They usually get embarrassed and then ask something like " Hey where's Festus".

You fellers is doing it wrong. I've found if I'm also wearing my guns nobody says a thing and are extremely genial:ph34r:.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I just wish they would stop asking for blue meth! Walter White isn’t a real person folks.

A BB thread could materialize from this thread... I for one LOVED that series.

:D

If being dressed as a Classic ain't eye catching enough in public, the sound of jingle bobs will really catch folk's attention. :D I've been asked all sorts of cowboy questions while in costume and I take the opportunity and the time to talk to people, especially when kids are involved. Their eyes light up and they really seem to enjoy seeing and talking to a "real" cowboy. Now, if I only had a mustache like some of y'all have to complete the look. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is off topic or not, but here it goes:  Where is/are good places to get reasonable priced costuming articles? I really don't want to pay $400.00+ for a hat.

7 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Not sure if this is off topic or not, but here it goes:  Where is/are good places to get reasonable priced costuming articles? I really don't want to pay $400.00+ for a hat.

I have found two real nice hats at estate sales. One was a 7x for only $20.

36 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Boot Barn

I read the first two pages of this thread and already feel like the subject is being beaten up pretty bad!  However, I feel the need to say that "Costuming" is only one aspect of the game and it's set up to accommodate as many as possible.  Frankly, looking down on someone for either dressing up or down is simply not in the best interest of the game! 

Personally, I've never liked playing dress up and Halloween is my least favorite holiday because of it.  I almost didn't even bother to come out and participate because of the dress requirements, but in the long run I'm glad that I did.  Since I wore orthopedic shoes long before I started shooting Cowboy, I also really struggled with the footwear and often found it really difficult to even finish a match with proper boots, etc.  While I agree that folks should not wear sneakers, or silly footwear like the boot sandals shown earlier in this post, no one should care about wearing good lace up work boots that can be fitted with orthopedic insoles, etc.  I also have trouble believing that no cowboy ever wore short sleeves, but it is what it is and rolled up sleeves appear to be acceptable.   

Frankly, I've learned to really like the cowboy hats and wear one fairly often, especially the palm leaf type while working in the yard, but I will also wear my good beaver felt hat when going out around town, etc.  All in all, I guess I am one of those minimalists when it comes to playing dress up, but I've always met the requirements and I've never looked down on someone that dressed to the nines cowboy style.  Geeze, we even created dress up categories to help satisfy those that want costuming to be a bigger part of their experience and still they want to look down and/or complain about those that wish to keep it simple and comfortable, etc.  I'm sorry, I just don't get it!     

People staring at you is an opportunity to expand the sport.

last year EOT example. Three of us went to Waffle House for breakfast. Me in my B Western finest.  Two couples sitting across the restaurant were staring at us. Went over and explained what we were doing and invited them to come out and see. They showed up and last I heard one couple is joining SASS. Never pass up an opportunity to knvite new people.

My .02.

Fox

10 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

After guns and leather a good hat is a priority. My next will be a Dbar J 100x. Pricey but worth it.

Most of my forebearers were from Ireland.  Some just were passing through and some were ancestral residents.  A lot were from southern Ireland where the local criminals settled.  I recently have purchased an Irish patterned kilt. A nice thing about the kilt is that if you don't like it you can kiss my xxx, and a kilt makes it easier for you to get to.

Hell, I'm 83 years old and I can prove it by my stage times.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, Mister Badly said:

Jeans, boots and a button up shirt. 

may09_shooting_from_hip_250.jpg.webp

Yep shirt with a collar, belt not suspenders, that's how I roll.

I don't look as good as Chuck though!:blush:

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep shirt with a collar, belt not suspenders, that's how I roll.

I don't look as good as Chuck though!:blush:

He's just a bit taller than you are, otherwise you could be twins.

3 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

He's just a bit taller than you are, otherwise you could be twins.

Yea maybe about a foot taller that's it though!!!:P

Archived