Costuming

Smokestack SASS#87384

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

UnionSuitCas - Copy.jpg

Love the outfit, by the way.

But, see, here is the problem with how some people define what is "cowboy." And how, without define rules, you can't legislate just based on one's opinion on what is or is not.

I wore a get up very similar to a state match a couple years ago. Albeit mine was sans the bandana. I had one fellow participant come up to me point blank and say I was making a mockery out of the proceedings and wanted to know if I realized Halloween was still a few months off. She was very adamant about me ruining her day.

In her mind, I was not very cowboy.

And then there was the time I dressed as the Hero of Canton.

40 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

And then there was the time I dressed as the Hero of Canton.

I'll raise a glass of Mudder's Milk in your honor.

8 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Yep, and an amazing number wearing Danner, Keen, whatever, hiking boots "because my feet hurt".

Not long ago I would have felt as you do. Then I broke a bone in my foot. Now I either wear some of the ugliest shoes you’ll ever see (Hokas) or stay home. 

6 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Hey Smokestack, would you mind doing me a favor and describing what a "barely cowboy looking shooter" is wearing?  I don't think this conversation can really go anywhere unless we know what is being discussed. 

A pic of me would probably do it. Button fly Levi’s, Henley shirt, a decent hat and Ariat lacers, if I can ever get my feet back in them.

A5E37B72-B39D-4439-AB37-F32E9BC2CEDA.jpegThat’s a minimalist crew if ever there was one.

5 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Sometimes I’m on fire doing  the B Western thing!:lol:

@Too Tall Bob them pumpkin seeds are going in the ground before too long!

B6FBAFF8-86B5-4703-B75B-8ECBE20328DD.jpeg

AND!  He really was on fire!

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Show us some pics everyone what you wear to a monthly shoot.

Back in my Wrangler days.

20200429_100129.thumb.jpg.434d8c47137d57b897c306bb65a0cc3b.jpg

Classic Cowboy

image000006.jpg.714abc720f70942ff84464e128b3c39e.jpg

One of me at my first SASS match in 2018, and the other at Fire & Ice 2022.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

11 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I think a match style award for each gender (only two :>)) would increase interest in costuming, and the rest would be organic, no rules.

Are there no costume contests at annual matches where you shoot?

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Not long ago I would have felt as you do. Then I broke a bone in my foot. Now I either wear some of the ugliest shoes you’ll ever see (Hokas) or stay home. 

I was barreling down the highway on a bicycle about thirty years ago, and my left foot slipped forward on the pedal on the downstroke. My toes hit the pavement and folded my foot back under the pedal, breaking three toes and two other bones in my foot in two places each. Seven breaks. I milked it for all it was worth and ended up off work for about six weeks. :D It occasionally bothers me a little, but not often and not much, although that foot is permanently swollen a little, and slightly larger than the other one now.

4 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I was barreling down the highway on a bicycle about thirty years ago, and my left foot slipped forward on the pedal on the downstroke. My toes hit the pavement and folded my foot back under the pedal, breaking three toes and two other bones in my foot in two places each. Seven breaks. I milked it for all it was worth and ended up off work for about six weeks. :D It occasionally bothers me a little, but not often and not much, although that foot is permanently swollen a little, and slightly larger than the other one now.

Have you heard of this?  http://www.oddshoe.org/   There are other commercial ones as well.

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've only been shooting SASS/CAS for a little over 18 years.

I see no deterioration in dress.

Increase dress requirements and you'll surely put another nail in the coffin.

Phantom

I can't predict about the "coffin nails", but I do agree that I have not seen cowboy dress  deterioration.  The matches I've attended have all had 99% of shooters looking pretty "cowboy" or "old western", (or folks dressed differently had good physical or medical reasons). 

This subject keeps coming up here on the wire (and I will always strongly advocate for an "old west" dress code when it does come up), but I just haven't personally seen much that I could have called deterioration.    Matches still look like an 1870s anachronism to me.  

I can't see how someone dressed at or above the minimum requirement, detracts another's enjoyment of the "game". Yet the blue plastic timers, plastic tables, nylon gun carts and a myriad of other items don't.

What detracts my enjoyment of the game is people who want to try to enforce rules and/or requirements that don't exist. That detraction is not limited to one's dress either.

If someone wants to dress the way they perceive the old West was...knock yourself out but don't force your perception of the old West on others who have their own idea of what it was.

11 hours ago, T-Square said:

You would think Misty and the Match Director's would get their heads together for some "Clarity".

No clarity needed. Te shooters handbook defines the minimum and also what you can't wear.

Minimum = long sleeve shirt, jeans, some sort of footware or not. Hats not required. Footware or not because I've seen shooters who shoot barefoot. No lugs there?  :D

34 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Why do you ask?

Because you wondered if a match style award for each gender would increase interest in costuming.

In addition to paraded costume contests accomplishing that goal, around here, costume awards includes the judges walking around during the match and selecting best dressed shooting costumes as well.

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Because you wondered if a match style award for each gender would increase interest in costuming.

In addition to paraded costume contests accomplishing that goal, around here, costume awards includes the judges walking around during the match and selecting best dressed shooting costumes as well.

Think monthly match.

54 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Your club does awards after a monthly match? Round here, several clubs don't even stick around for shooting awards, let alone costume awards after match. 

Same here, there’s 5 clubs I go to and none have costume awards except for the 3 day shoots!

22 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Here is my first outfit in '99, and what I wore today.

ABILENE2.JPG

GMR3 26Mar22.png

Before I scrolled down... my first thought was... "I sure wish I could wear what I did in 1999!"

14 hours ago, Griff said:

Before I scrolled down... my first thought was... "I sure wish I could wear what I did in 1999!"

Vertical stripes are slimming.  ;)

If one just needs a little help, these are handy:

Button Extenders.jpg

With all the categories and variations since I last shot,  and the fact I dress Western 365 days a year, figure I'll get up in the morning, get dressed in some nice stuff, grab qualifying leather and guns and get there.  They can tell me "what I am" and where I can shoot.

SASS has a minimum requirement, you meet that, no problem. 

We have this same discussion every couple years. 

If shooters meeting the minimum requirements bother you, petition the TG's to change the rules.

I like the dress up part, not going to get bent out of shape if others don't.

Everyone got here by a different road, let's enjoy our time together.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:22 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Your club does awards after a monthly match? Round here, several clubs don't even stick around for shooting awards, let alone costume awards after match. 

I never said anything about anual matches or what my club (s) is doing. It was a simple suggestion. Go on without me if you cannot read carefully and respond appropriately.

Archived