SASS Wire Forum

AMAZON!

I ordered something from Amazon about noon yesterday and it just arrived at quarter to ten.  I happened to be taking my trash out for pickup and met the truck.  I commented that I had never had a delivery so quickly and the lady told me that they had just opened a distribution center two miles from my front door, and that her computer gizmo  shows the second half of the order arriving tomorrow.

There was a time I swore I'd never shop on line.  Now almost everything except fresh groceries, gasoline, and a few other things that I use on a regular basis, and a lot of other stuff as well, comes from Amazon or some other computer contact.

First of all it's usually in stock, arrives a short while after I order it and it usually costs the same or less.

It's no wonder that so many actual stores, independents and chains alike, are failing, malls are closing down, and no one seems to understand it isn't about the bottom like, IT'S ABOUT SATISFYING THE CUSTOMERS!

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

There was a time I swore I'd never shop on line.  Now almost everything except fresh groceries, gasoline, and a few other things that I use on a regular basis, and a lot of other stuff as well, comes from Amazon or some other computer contact

For several years my wife and I have used Amazon for things like shoes, clothing, some small appliances, some foodstuffs that we can't find locally.  I did shopping on Fridays on my way home from w**k

Then last November when we were down with the Wuhan Flu we started ordering from Safeway and going to pick it up.  By GAWD it makes it easy.  I still have trouble doing some of the weekly specials and things like buy 2 get 3 free, so we order most for pick up on Friday afternoon, then I make a run either late Friday or early Saturday.

My  son works for Amazon at the home office in Seattle.  The company is intensely focused on getting what the customer wants, delivered as quickly as possible.  I have never seen a more generous employer; exceptional compensation, loads of stock, clear paths for promotion.  My son has been working remotely since the pandemic began; he may never need to go back to a corporate office.

LL

I switched over to Amazon a long time ago after going to a bookstore and buying a book whose retail cost was twice what Amazon was charging.  I also started ordering online with Walmart, for non perishable and bulk items such as boxed pasta, TP, paper towels etc.  I even have a Peapod account for Stop & Shop to deliver food to my door in case I'm sick.

About the only time I go to a retail store is for food, alcohol and shotgun shells for skeet.

I don't see how Amazon stays in business.

There's this widget. It comes in three sizes - small for $6, medium for $8, and large for $10. If you do the math you will see that if you order one of each size it will cost you $24. But they will sell you a package of one of each size for $18. So I ordered one.

When it arrives there are only two widgets in the package. I get in touch with Amazon customer service. I tell them that one widget is missing. The CS rep says that they can refund my money ($18). I tell him that what I would prefer is they send me the small widget - the one that was missing ($6). He says they can't do that, so I tell him that in that case I will take the refund. I do not have to return the medium and large widget.

I could understand this if they only sold it as a three pack. They would have to open a package to get one to send me, and then they would have a two pack that they couldn't sell. But they don't. They sell all three of the sizes individually. So instead of losing $6 by sending me the one that was missing, they lose $18 by refunding me for the whole order.

This makes no sense.

I ordered ball point pen cartridges from Amazon on March 10th. This was the anticipated delivery stated when ordered!

image.png.92720b2d3700c0eefdc2a00d0b0d3bd1.png

As of today, Mar 25th, that is still the expected delivery!:wacko:

The above notwithstanding, I order a lot from Amazon and am very satisfied with their service.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I ordered something from Amazon about noon yesterday and it just arrived at quarter to ten.  I happened to be taking my trash out for pickup and met the truck.  I commented that I had never had a delivery so quickly and the lady told me that they had just opened a distribution center two miles from my front door, and that her computer gizmo  shows the second half of the order arriving tomorrow.

There was a time I swore I'd never shop on line.  Now almost everything except fresh groceries, gasoline, and a few other things that I use on a regular basis, and a lot of other stuff as well, comes from Amazon or some other computer contact.

First of all it's usually in stock, arrives a short while after I order it and it usually costs the same or less.

It's no wonder that so many actual stores, independents and chains alike, are failing, malls are closing down, and no one seems to understand it isn't about the bottom like, IT'S ABOUT SATISFYING THE CUSTOMERS!

Take a moment and think about the Amazon workers in that warehouse who can hardly even take a bathroom break without their supervisor coming down on them.

I ordered a couple of router bits yesterday morning because the local tool store that I would normally buy them at moved farther away and they were delivered about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Earlier in the day we had a near traffic jam of delivery vehicles when a USPS carrier made her delivery and at the same time another Amazon vehicle pulled up and as the USPS vehicle was leaving another Amazon vehicle showed up. All 3 deliveries were for my wife and 2 of them had been ordered at the same time. As far as profits go they must be making a bunch to afford to send 4 different delivery vehicles the same day.

Just to give you an idea of their business model, Amazon pays USPS exactly $2.00 per package to deliver for them. Imagine how many people have to handle that package, plus delivery and fuel charges. USPS is losing money big-time delivering for Amazon, and I reckon it's no better with UPS and FedEx. BTW that info comes from my ex who is a postmaster at USPS.

I don't see where delivery and fuel charges would come into it. The last Amazon order I got, it was in my mailbox along with three letters and a magazine. The truck made the route, whether there was an Amazon package or not. The truck stopped at my house, whether there was an Amazon package or not. If all they did that day was deliver that package, and make their amazing $2, then yes they lost their shirt. But how much do they get paid to deliver a letter? 50, maybe 55 cents? They're rolling right along on that 50 cents. Seems like they would be making more money if they get 2 dollars for making a delivery, since they are making the delivery anyway.

Sunday deliveries - yeah they're losing their shirt and pants and socks and underwear on those.

I ordered a pill box a few days ago, and it arrived with two of the compartment lids broken. I contacted the seller, along with two pictures, and instead of just sending another one out ($8.88), they emailed me a return shipping label to send it back for a refund. :mellow:

It's not as fast here in Australia because of the distances, but its still pretty good.

When I go to our country store that doubles as our post office, there's always a stack of Amazon Prime boxes waiting to get picked up by folks.

Just now, Buckshot Bear said:

We are around 25m Australia wide.

Last I looked, a million and low change in Montana.  Of course, in these times, there has been an influx, many good, others "repeat the same mistakes voters".

I have a hard time believing a couple of reporters out to make names for themselves regarding Amazon and it’s employees…especially when the news comes from leftist rags with an anti corporate agenda. Screw them!

I love Amazon and they provide a damn good service. Everyone whines about how they are hurting local businesses when local businesses cut back on products because of some stupid business model where stock is not profit if it doesn’t sell within a given time period. I go where I can get what I need. 

Here is an interesting tip: If the item came from Amazon, you can return it at no charge to any UPS Store, provided you print out the special QR code for returns. But, you need to find a UPS Store employee that actually knows this. I called one store and the young lady didn't know anything about it. She said she was going to charge me for packing it up! I stopped by another outlet, ready to do battle with the clerk, and the young man had it scanned and on its way to Amazon at no charge before I could even start arguing my point. Plus, I had my refund within minutes.

Every time I turned around this week it seemed I needed something that wasn’t available locally at all. I been givin the Amazon folks a lot of work.

And $$

One of my friends in California, whose daughter was my daughter's friend, just retired from Amazon in San Diego at age 55 because of on the job injuries and with a pension and benefits beyond what I would have had if had retired from teaching.  She would have loved to stay on because she had a great job that she enjoyed.

Her husband will stay on for nine more years if nothing else happens.

I know several drivers and a dispatcher here who also like their jobs, but I also know USPS, FedEx, and UPS drivers who don't like theirs.

funny , this topic makes me comment -

recently amazon and such get delivered real quick and you can track it if you want , its crazy how fast they can put it at your door as well as how accurately it can be tracked , my wife gets notified on her phone almost instantly

but - 

its funny how many bills ive not had delivered recently , my BCBS got cancelled for non payment in a month and i never got the bill in the mail one of my, my credit cards got a hold for late payment and i never received the bill , 

NOW -

one could say it was my fault for not paying or late paying but thats not the case , one might say it was busy time of year 

but -

how is it they can track a delivery but not a bill from sa buisness ? 

Amazon said they’ll deliver by April 26th if I order the prybar tonight and join prime at $15 per month.  They’ll deliver it in May if I don’t join their “Prime” club.  Looks like I’ll drive the 3 miles to the store tomorrow and have the bar in hand in 11 hours.

@watab kid  We have the same problem with unreliable mail.  My calendar has a reminder the first week of every month, giving me a chance to call the company for a bill reprint.  Some companies will email a PDF, others will mail a duplicate printing.  The post office scans all mail now.  You can sign up to see the images of your mail online.  Good luck.  

I use Amazon when I have to.  I'd prefer not to but it's particularly difficult to find other sources.   I get concerned because:

1- A TON of goods that are sold are not manufactured here - mostly China - which is why they're inexpensive (and sometimes cheap) and Chinese products often are rather dangerous (contaminated dog food and baby food for example).  And I hate supporting the CCP.   I prefer Taiwan or Korea or even Vietnamese products if I have a choice.

2- The Market share and convenience factor makes it extremely difficult for others to compete. 

3- Where this can lead to is no more competition  and then prices will rise. 

4- If we were to go to war, we'd lose because we can't make anything anymore (no arsenal of democracy)

But your mileage may vary :)

On 3/25/2022 at 1:04 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I also have a huge Amazon distribution less than a mile from my house. It used to be a mall.

I don't order very much from them but when I do it's really quick.  

Archived