SASS Wire Forum

Whats your incomplete Dream

Mine is to engrave ar least one of my collectible rifles.  I have a very good wood shop,, I carve, I draw, and I never have time to do it. Ten years ago I started into engraving with the Lindsey palm engraver. This is my setup. I spent a weekend with JJ Roberts. He’s a blast of a man and one heck of an engraver. Health problems put a halt to my pursuit. However, I’m getting more determined to achieve my goal. I’m getting ready to try to start again. This is my station in the man cave   . Breaking out the Sam Alfaro videos to start from the the drawing phase and build from there. I have tons of practice plates to hide from the public lol. What’s the dream that you built an ability to do but for whatever reason you got sidetracked.  If I can’t meet you in person I still want to know you

8ABCDB6D-CF49-4612-98D4-D5E19A4055C3.jpeg

E18D7069-B6A9-415E-B125-9F423FE534FD.jpeg

Finishing my collection of guns so it's the way I want it.

I have all the guns for the collection (and some others), but one ( an 1875 Outlaw) is being re-blued to look more authentic, one (a Uberti / Navy Arms Sharps .22 "pepperbox") is getting "ivory" grips made for it to replace the original authentic gutta percha ones that shrunk up and fell apart, and one is still waiting (after thirteen months) for scope rings to fit one of a half dozen kinds of those G..D... European claw mounts for mu 1908 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle.  The only people who still make them are in England and they have sent the wrong ones TWICE.  It's like they are deliberately trying to aggravate me.

I also still need two good custom holsters for six guns, and a sling for the rifle, and I want a peep sight modified for my '96 Browning / Winchester in .30-40 U.S. Krag.

The only real problem is going to be the rings.  Everything else is nearly done or or relatively easy to get.

Learning to play the banjo well. I was taking lessons about 7 years ago but got busy and didn’t go back to it.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Learning to play the banjo well. I was taking lessons about 7 years ago but got busy and didn’t go back to it.

I’m going to take up the guitar again as soon as I decide on a maker. The house is too quiet.

Waiting for a Tippmann Boss I bought to come back from repair.  Lots of leather on hand and new designs dancing through my head.  Have quite a number of Holster rigs I've designed and made over the years all still in good shape, but I'll be making more, along with some new designs for handgun and shotgun ammunition carriers.  Have enjoyed leather work since I was a teen ager - except the hand sewing.  No experience with a machine so there'll be a learning curve- I like that as well!

My wife and I always wanted to travel through the US and visit out of the way small Western museums etc etc in different States and soak in as much Western lore as possible. We talked about even before we got married 38 years ago. I don't think its ever going to happen. We have so much responsibility (not work), I just can't see us taking 3 - 6 months off from it and traveling. 

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’m going to take up the guitar again as soon as I decide on a maker. The house is too quiet.

Taylor Guitars is down in south county. I heard they give away some of their scrap so I went down to check it out. I got a lot of ebony pieces and while I was going through the stuff they were giving away a guy came out and invited me on a private factory tour. They really do a nice job on their guitars.

I just remembered the other one. 

To crush my enemies. To see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women. :P

On 3/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

What’s the dream that you built an ability to do but for whatever reason you got sidetracked.  If I can’t meet you in person I still want to know you

This is a good question, and a difficult one to answer. Early on in my Kenpo training, I did a fair amount of practice in order to try my hand at tournaments. For a variety of reasons - from a mild concussion from a spinning heel kick that wasn't supposed to land but did one week before what would have been my first, to work, the National Guard, family commitments and the like, I never did fight in a tournament. Kick to the head aside, those are the same reasons I eventually took a long break from the martial arts, coming back to it a few years ago, because I had stopped short of my Shodan or First Degree Black Belt. Once I got back into it, and started seeing some improvement, it was suggested I try participating in a couple of "Over 50" classes at tournaments. I earned my black belt, decided on several tournaments I wanted to attend with with my instructor and another experienced tournament fighter, and the pandemic hit. No more tournaments.

Now at 56, I am getting back into training, actually teaching my oldest daughter under the watchful eye of my instructor, and enjoying it. However, I think I may just limit myself to sparring, assuming we are able to get back to even doing that. My instructor is 76, and has had a couple of health issues. He opens his studio for us, and if a couple of the old students want to come in for sparring, he will let us, but it is hard getting back into the groove. Add to that the mileage beginning to take its toll on my body, and I think it is one dream I won't fulfill. It saddens me, because my instructor, who was a very accomplished tournament fighter in his day, not long ago mentioned to my daughter about being more annoyed than I was when I got the concussion, because he wanted me to get to some tournaments. I don't recall his exact words, but he said he saw some potential.

A few of shots of sparring right before I earned my black belt, and right before the world changed for the worse.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.28.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.33.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.17.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.26.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.23.52 PM.png

I pulled a groin uncle just looking at the pictures. 

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I pulled a groin uncle just looking at the pictures. 

I'll just share that the kick there was not as high as I can kick, although I'm not super flexible compared to some. My opponent in the picture holds a black belt in Shotokan, and for whatever reason, kept leaving his midsection open. I kept trying to dissuade him from doing so.

My favorite instructor used to say "If you want to kick someone in the head, throw him on the ground first." Another favorite "What is the biggest thing you can hit someone with?  The Planet!" Congrats on being active still.  I retired from it about 10 years ago.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

My favorite instructor used to say "If you want to kick someone in the head, throw him on the ground first." Another favorite "What is the biggest thing you can hit someone with?  The Planet!" Congrats on being active still.  I retired from it about 10 years ago.

In a self defense situation, I agree. Of course, in such a situation knees and other things below the waist become fair game. For sparring/tournaments, having the ability to kick high, especially high and fast, is a huge advantage. The guy with the shaved head in the bottom picture has that ability, and it makes for very fun and challenging sessions.

Interestingly, my instructor told me about his younger and slightly wilder days when he was in the wrong bar at the wrong time when a fight broke out. After the fight, people were saying they saw him throw this kick and that kick. He shook his head and said “Rog, I didn’t throw any kicks at all. I got my back against the bar at the corner and punched anybody I thought needed punching.” I’ve seen him punch a heavy bag in his seventies, and I wouldn’t want to be in the receiving end.

22 minutes ago, DocWard said:

In a self defense situation, I agree. Of course, in such a situation knees and other things below the waist become fair game. For sparring/tournaments, having the ability to kick high, especially high and fast, is a huge advantage. The guy with the shaved head in the bottom picture has that ability, and it makes for very fun and challenging sessions.

Interestingly, my instructor told me about his younger and slightly wilder days when he was in the wrong bar at the wrong time when a fight broke out. After the fight, people were saying they saw him throw this kick and that kick. He shook his head and said “Rog, I didn’t throw any kicks at all. I got my back against the bar at the corner and punched anybody I thought needed punching.” I’ve seen him punch a heavy bag in his seventies, and I wouldn’t want to be in the receiving end.

Studied, practiced and taught for just under 50 years,  Many arts,  Ranks and grades in various types and styles.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

What’s the dream that you built an ability to do but for whatever reason you got sidetracked.  If I can’t meet you in person I still want to know you

I've thought about this for a few days.  I think it would be to set up a nice little pottery studio.  Nothing fancy.  A powered kick wheel, a small downdraft kiln with a good assortment of kiln furniture.  Have 3 or 4 glazes and a couple of oxides for decorations.

Archived