SASS Wire Forum

Shortages ?

47 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Saltine crackers, packaged dog food, sarsaparilla, gouda cheese, and a host of other common products, all missing from the shelves because Russia and Ukraine are fighting.

Is this a perfect example of unadulterated BS or what?

I found all of those at the local Walmart on Sunday.

Nothing really looked empty beyond normal weekend shopping.

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I found all of those at the local Walmart on Sunday.

Nothing really looked empty beyond normal weekend shopping.

Well, Pepsi with real sugar...not sarsparilla.

4 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Wait until later this year when you find out grain seed and fertilizer are short and many are skipping planting this spring .

My neighbor is not planting over 300 acres this year. Instead he is buying goats and sheep.

Pretty dry in the Texas/Ok wheat belt too.  That means not only a short crop but cattlemen who depend on it for grazing will be hurt.  

I hate to say it but we are losing so much farmland to urban sprawl its disheartening...and dangerous in the long run.

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No shortage here.

Bowling Green is my wife’s home.  Isn’t corn, soybean and wheat the planting trifecta up there. I heard you’re having an extra wet early year which will hurt planting. Of course, if the drainage ditches stay full, Pike netting will be great

Tho my regular store is small and doesn't have a lot of pull with their supplier, and IMO aren't good at managing orders using purchase data they have captured, the time I shop makes a big difference. If you are finding things you need missing change the day and time you shop.  Has worked well for me.

It's the perfect example of incorrect/wrong decisions, being made by this administration. 

It will only get worse, until these morons are voted out of office. 

You limit, or try to shut down, the oil, gas, coal, and nuclear industries, believing wind, and solar, and electric cars, and public transportation, and riding a bicycle will solve the shortage problems...(the "climate problems" seem to be the number one thing they are concerned about).

Will wind, and solar, and electric cars, and bicycles solve it. In a word: no!  

Does the fighting in Ukraine have anything to do with this?

Yep. Russia exports tons of fertilizer, and one of the best customers is/was the U.S. 

The sanctions have driven the Russian economy to a China and India alliance, and they will likely take the now world-wide currency, which is the U.S. dollar, and change it over to the Chinese yuan. Not good. Much of Europe is still buying Russia oil, and gas, so the funding of putin's murder of the Ukrainians continues. 

Now that his administration is focused on Ukraine (yet doing little about it), that means they are ignoring high gasoline prices, the border, inflation, crime, etc. (you know, the problems that are real to the American people).

So...short answer...yep, the war in Ukraine has lots to do with shortages, and a lot of other things, that will be coming down the pike, pretty soon.

The price of energy goes up, and the domino effect is: everything else goes up. We are not over the pandemic shortages quite yet, and this will only add to the shortage problem. 

Believe it, or not; like it, or not; accept it, or not; argue, or not...the shortages will get worse. Where you are, you may not be seeing it, yet. But, you will. You ain't seen nothing yet.

11 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Bowling Green is my wife’s home.  Isn’t corn, soybean and wheat the planting trifecta up there. I heard you’re having an extra wet early year which will hurt planting. Of course, if the drainage ditches stay full, Pike netting will be great

Yes I believe that's correct. When I drive to the shoots I always travel into farmland and I marvel at how much acreage their is of wheat, corn and soybean!

Starting last fall the price of fertilizer, seed, and chemical has just gone crazy. From talking to friends that are still farming...the break even price of corn will be 5.00 dollars a bushel. That was before the price of fuel got so crazy too.

Fertilizer production was already cut by at least 30% prior to the war. The war on oil is a self-induced issue on top of many other stupid policies by the current administration. It will definitely get worse and probably won't get better and no, I cannot afford an electric vehicle.

15 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Pretty dry in the Texas/Ok wheat belt too.  That means not only a short crop but cattlemen who depend on it for grazing will be hurt.  

I hate to say it but we are losing so much farmland to urban sprawl its disheartening...and dangerous in the long run.

That Sir, is a concern I see.

Yet, I believe God provides...so there is that.

12 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

It's the perfect example of incorrect/wrong decisions, being made by this administration. 

It will only get worse, until these morons are voted out of office. 

You limit, or try to shut down, the oil, gas, coal, and nuclear industries, believing wind, and solar, and electric cars, and public transportation, and riding a bicycle will solve the shortage problems...(the "climate problems" seem to be the number one thing they are concerned about).

Will wind, and solar, and electric cars, and bicycles solve it. In a word: no!  

Does the fighting in Ukraine have anything to do with this?

Yep. Russia exports tons of fertilizer, and one of the best customers is/was the U.S. 

The sanctions have driven the Russian economy to a China and India alliance, and they will likely take the now world-wide currency, which is the U.S. dollar, and change it over to the Chinese yuan. Not good. Much of Europe is still buying Russia oil, and gas, so the funding of putin's murder of the Ukrainians continues. 

Now that his administration is focused on Ukraine (yet doing little about it), that means they are ignoring high gasoline prices, the border, inflation, crime, etc. (you know, the problems that are real to the American people).

So...short answer...yep, the war in Ukraine has lots to do with shortages, and a lot of other things, that will be coming down the pike, pretty soon.

The price of energy goes up, and the domino effect is: everything else goes up. We are not over the pandemic shortages quite yet, and this will only add to the shortage problem. 

Believe it, or not; like it, or not; accept it, or not; argue, or not...the shortages will get worse. Where you are, you may not be seeing it, yet. But, you will. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Scripture.

Our friends in the N. East tell of chronic cat food shortages.
We saw this briefly at Walmart here in Sacramento.
However, we found industrial case sizes of Fancy Feast for the cat at Sam's Club, and stocked up.
Cat will eat it, and it doesn't go bad in the case.

We keep the vehicles fuel tanks topped off, and I remain on the hunt for powders and primers.
We keep our meds on order as soon as they become available for reorder, as a hedge against strikes and supply chain interruptions.

As to electric vehicles... 40% all all electricity in the US is generated by fossil fuel plants.
This means 40% of all battery charges in EVs is done by fossil fuels.
All batteries degrade, expire and die.
When they finally die, they rupture and spew out the goo that has ruined your flashlight or camera in the past.
This goo is now leaching into the groundwater after some 3 billion of these are dumped in landfills every year, in the US.

My wife loved using ammonium sulfate to make the grass grow green.
Today, it is hard to get and very pricey, thanks to Timmy McVeigh who used it to blow up the Fed building in Oklahoma.

18 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I agree about the sprawl, and when they grade a site for a subdivision or other urban construction, the soils that took 10,000 years to form are forever disturbed and lost.   Instead of stockpiling them, they just get graded around and mixed with unproductive deeper soil. 

Maybe not in our lifetimes, but at some future time, humans will value  that lost soil.  But maybe by then all food will be grown in hydroponic situations on Mars. 

How much of these shortages are due to those ships sitting out on the ocean waiting to offload last years Christmas shopping and other stuff .....

............ or did that get sorted out already  :huh:

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

How much of these shortages are due to those ships sitting out on the ocean waiting to offload last years Christmas shopping and other stuff .....

............ or did that get sorted out already  :huh:

Right?

I have heard nothing on if the ships are still there, or if the Semi trucks are still waiting....lots of big NEWS just dissapeared, quietly.

During the "height" of the reporting on supply chain issues, mainly blaming the Port Of Los Angeles, I spent some time watching that activity. Didn't see those same issues in other ports around the country, only LA. Without boots on the ground, I couldn't tell if the issue was lack of personnel, transportation in/out of the port or warehouse/storage at the port. What I saw were anywhere from forty to sixty-ish ships waiting offshore. Average time to get to a pier to unload appeared to be 30-50-ish days. Another twenty-thirty days to unload. About. The port only used about two thirds of what appeared (on satellite pics anyway) to be the available dockage. During this same time, I noted a significant increase in semi traffic on I-10 through central AZ, which is a route I drive regularly. (it is still heave, but not like it was months ago) My conclusion was this shipping port thing wasn't the issue causing the problems mainly.

My take is there are other things happening behind the scenes regarding the supply chains which are being done deliberately. There's simply no other reason for this to be happening. They have had more than enough time to correct the issues. I'm sure some of you have noticed the weirdness in the economy, inflation, stock market and commodity prices namely gold/silver. The numbers are off and someone ain't dealing off the top of the deck. That's my take, anyway.

My own shopping experience is everything costs more. There are hiring now signs everywhere and everyone seems to be short staffed but there sure ain't a shortage of people in my area anyway, more crowded than ever. Quite a few of my favorite shops didn't survive the plandemic.  Big box thrives. I generally shop local and the amount of money I spend at bigbox has shifted to local as much as I can. I'm not going to go into the relationship between DotGov and BigBox/Tech because this is the Saloon and if you see it or don't...well, whatever. Fuel pricing didn't go up because of the UKR/Europe. That cause lies elsewhere. Why they seemed to have a specific level to hit and after which prices leveled off at that higher rate but I doubt that will stay the same. None of this is normal, we are in uncharted territory. What comes next? well, be prepared.

i think they are a great example of life under communism , bend over ...............................we are in for more shortages and more inflation and more misery till we say enough ...............there is a better way for the american public , we deserve it and should demand it , we pay for it , 

I told the wife a while back that when I go to the market these days I don't take a shopping list, I take a wish list. I never know from one visit to the next what's going to be on the shelves. 

Of all things random my company cannot get Ultra High Purity Helium. We use it in our gas chromatography.  Lots of it. Our supplier tells us it is being restricted by uncle joe's admin. Probably for environmental reasons. Our customers won't like the coming results...

Think ahead The food on the shelves is LAST YEARS  production for the most part. The shortages are set to kick in later this year.. talk to the farmers. 

Americans seem to be short thinkers.

2 minutes ago, john brown said:

...American seem to be short thinkers.

Boy, ain't that the truth. :(

On 3/24/2022 at 6:07 PM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I grew up surrounded buy farm land.  But, all that is gone now.  Was more profitable for farmers to sell there lands to developers who quickly turned the land into neighborhoods.  That craziness still continues here.  Now it's the Ranchers selling off sections of there land.  

More and more humans every day.  Less and less productive land every day.  Scary!!

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Of all things random my company cannot get Ultra High Purity Helium. We use it in our gas chromatography.  Lots of it. Our supplier tells us it is being restricted by uncle joe's admin. Probably for environmental reasons. Our customers won't like the coming results...

Not to give the current regime cover, there has been a helium shortage for a long time.  We were the largest producer, are no longer, and were releasing some from strategic reserves. I suspect that has stopped.

Archived