SASS Wire Forum

Adjusting stock drop on a Highwall?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I have my dad’s Winchester/Miroku Highwall in 45-70.  I also have the C3/4/5 vertebrae fused which gives limited motion.

I’d love to shoot the gun more, but the stock is too straight.  If I bring it to my shoulder, my eye sits about 2” above the bore, at a place where a scope would naturally sit, and too high for the iron sights.  Scrunching my cheek down to the stock is painful on the neck.

Has anyone ever adjusted the drop on a stock, short of having a completely new one made?

I appreciate any insight that can be offered.

31 minutes ago, Texas Red said:

stock cheek piece riser

That will make his problem worse.  Won't be able to get his eyes close to the line of sight with an even higher comb.

New stock is the "correct" solution for your condition - but expensive.   Especially if you need to get your face to be 2" lower (sights 2" higher)  than you can get to now. 

Temporarily, and not in competition, an adjustable butt plate that lets you slide the recoill pad down 2" (thus raising the stock to your face) will get your line of sight back onto the iron sights.   It's a common shotgun stock modification.  That will likely be an "external modification" that would not be allowed in competition, but since this is a side match gun, the match officials might give you a medical exemption.  I would at a match of mine.

good luck, GJ

OR,   use a tang sight,   marbles, MVA, or Lee Shaver and or original front sight, Globe, or Marbles.   it's the way to set up sights for BPCR's midrange should work fine 

Tang sight will work,  but only if the rifle has a tang to mount it on.   If the gun has a tang and you go for the tang sight option, buy a tall s  oule type sight with windage.  If you still need more adjustment put a taller front sight on the rifle.   A taller front sight will cause the rear sight to rise to keep the same point of impact  on the target.  You can also slow the bullet  speed down,  this will also require a higher  rear sight setting.   Hopefully the rear sight will rise up to match your eye level..  

The traditional method to change the drop of the stock of a rifle or shotgun that has a receiver with tangs is to bend the stock at the wrist.  You can find how to videos on the internet.  It requires heating the wood at the wrist to a high enough temp. that the wood can be bent.  One method is to wrap cloth around the area to be heated.  Soak the cloth in kerosene & ignite.  The other method is to use a heat lamp.  The stock is clamped in a jig.

Archived