SASS Wire Forum

U.S Car Number Plates

Buckshot Bear

U.S Car Number Plates

Something that I've always wondered about when I watch US shows like 'Cops', someone gets pulled over and the cop says "You've expired tags"......are number plates called 'tags' over there??? If so, do you have to get new number plates each year?

We get a new colored sticker with the next year on ours and stick it in the upper corner. My grandson, when he was young used to count how many expired stickers there were when we drove through town and Escondido. I think his record one time was 53 expired stickers.

Yeah! They’re often called tags.

Most states issue a sticker that’s applied to the “tag” each year upon renewal.

Same thing here in many Canadian provinces. A coloured tag in the top right corner of the rear plate; Quebec excepted. Same plates and numbers for years, just the "tag" replaced.

In Ontario, the tags have different colours, coded for the month and year the tag expires.

OR sends notification to the registered owner a couple months prior to expiration.
Color-coded new month and year stickers are mailed out upon receipt of renewal fees.

GNRNR (2).jpg

The country has a standard vehicle size plate and a smaller size for smaller items.  Each state has it's own regulation of plates and tags placement.  Some states require front and rear plates, both with the tag in a specific corner.  Some plate front and rear but tag only the rear.  Some plate in rear with tag.  

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In California we have tags for month and year on the plate.  Month stays the same, new year tag every year.

An example found online.

surf-s-up-license-plate-california-california-surfs-up-license-plate-art-black-vintage-ca-old-surfer-113455770.jpg

Who is Sur and what did he screw up?

Florida, we get one sticker. It's a sticker, not a tag. The license plate (not a number plate) is the tag. I heard of car tags for years before Florida went to those stupid stickers. We get a new metal plate every 10 years. They've decided that after 10 years it will have been beat up and needs replaced.

Our stickers are always yellow. They list the month followed by the year of expiration, in numerical form. And they always are supposed to go in the upper right corner. When you get your new sticker you put it on top of your old sticker.

110399540_LicenseplateBronco(1)2.thumb.jpg.77fc3edcadb9bedcf57ccfb3598fbfd3.jpg

It frequently amazes me,  though, the people that can't comprehend this. I have seen tags with stickers in all four corners.

Back in the Stone Age you got a new plate every year with the year embossed into the metal. Kitschy restaurants and bar with a retro theme have walls covered with them. Then some genius came up with a color coded sticker.

Also back in the day, plates were simple two or three colors at most with no design. Now there is a dizzying variety of designs available.

And most plates are made in prison. 
http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/usa/US_COXX.html

In many places I have lived the term tags referred to the license plate. People also refer to the title as a pink slip, even though I have never seen one that was pink. I think it has much to do with the region of the country. It's kind of like the whole soda, pop, soda pop, Cokes thing. It depends on what your friends and family called something. I grew up in the north. My friends called a sugary carbonated drink a pop. I got stationed in the south and it was a soda. I have known people that refer to all carbonated sugary drinks as Cokes, unless it is a Pepsi, or RC Cola.

Interesting trivia / plate recycling.  An outfit called Kit Carson Vintage license Plate Cuffs, makes turquoise embellished bracelets  out of old plates.  The must be both popular and expensive since Malouf on the Plaza in Santa Fe ran a full page ad featuring them in the April issue of Cowboys & Indians.

In Illinois, the governors make the license plates:D.

53 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I have known people that refer to all carbonated sugary drinks as Cokes,

Absolutely. All soda pop is a Coke. Unless it actually is a Coke, in which case it is Co-Cola.

Texas went to putting the tags on the inside of the left front windshield and not on the plates at all.  Think one of the reasons given was the tags were being stolen off the plates.

It's for both yearly vehicle inspection plus payment of yearly taxes on the car = two for one

licence plate is 'clean' of all stickers

download.jpg

800px-Texas_Passenger_Car_License_Plate_2020.jpg

As an FYI don't keep putting new stickers over the old ones on license plates. Scrape as muck of the old sticker off as possible.  Prevents lowlifes from using a razor blade and removing your sticker in tact.

I was once told that license plate frames came about to keep people from easily using tin snips and removing the corner of the plate that had the sticker on it and it ang gluing it to their plate.

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Texas went to putting the tags on the inside of the left front windshield and not on the plates at all.  Think one of the reasons given was the tags were being stolen off the plates.

It's for both yearly vehicle inspection plus payment of yearly taxes on the car = two for one

licence plate is 'clean' of all stickers

download.jpg

800px-Texas_Passenger_Car_License_Plate_2020.jpg

Florida used to have car inspections for (supposed) safety and emissions. They had a sticker that went on your windshield in the lower left corner. It was a big scam at best. Fail one day, pass the next. All designed to get your money.

I didn't like the tags on the windshield. Back then the windshields weren't as sloped as the ones are today. It was easy to see the sticker, kind of like having an oil change sticker in your field of vision. Not obtrusive but just there.

As has been said, the term(s) vary from region to region. I had never heard them referred to as tags until I moved to Kansas. Prior to that I knew them as plates, but that goes back to ancient days when you got a new plate every year instead of a sticker or "tag".

West (By Gawd) VA plates have the expiration month as the first character of the serial, except for custom plates which all expire on Jan. 1. The renewal sticker has the expiration year and is placed on the lower right. Everyone calls the plates either tags or plates. The state has lots of optional plates available for an extra $15 per year. Mine features a Red-Breasted Grossbeak bird. Oddly the state bird is the Cardinal, but it's not on a tag. If one wants to irritate the climate change Wookie's, you can get a black "Friends of Coal" tag.

My tag will be replaced next month. Tennessee has a new design that doesn’t have all the background stuff on it to replace this design.  I’ve already reserved my new one! It’ll read the same, but it’s just dark blue with white letters!

87BC5CB6-E4A5-4730-B0AA-7F4DE752DEC4.jpeg

In California when I was a youngster (back in the late 40's, early 50's) I remember my Dad getting a small, metal plate with the new year he attached to the regular plate.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My tag will be replaced next month. Tennessee has a new design that doesn’t have all the background stuff on it to replace this design.  I’ve already reserved my new one! It’ll read the same, but it’s just dark blue with white letters!

87BC5CB6-E4A5-4730-B0AA-7F4DE752DEC4.jpeg

I remember a few years ago somebody (a cowboy shooter from up in the Northwest I think) being told that his tag was no longer allowed.

GUNRNNR

Archived