SASS Wire Forum

Decisions, Decisions

Yul Lose

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

Problem is, these kinds of situations are pretty much unwinnable, however it shakes out, in family terms there are always costs.

Man, you have that right. 

wife's family had some 'interesting' folks to point I stopped seeing and speaking to them.  Wife would travel TO them and interact but they weren't invited here.

wife, at first, was greatly worried I would be missing out--didn't care, don't care.  Been 28 years and while they are still around they aren't around here.

and I still don't care in any way, shape or fashion about them

life has been good since I made the break

►you're problem is he comes over--that is not something I had to deal with--best of luck

It is a FAMILY trip.

I cannot choose or control everyone I am related to.

But I have chosen my FAMILY; these are the folks I would kill for - the folks I would die for.

And just because we are somehow related from blood, marriage or accident of the cosmos; that don't make you my family.

Life is too short and time is too precious to waste any of it being around people who decrease our joy, harm our experiences or diminish our lives.

There's no easy answer, as you're aware. As laid back as I am, it sounds like you have far better control over your temper than I do. I have a hunch I would have taken a swing at him by now, or at the very minimum, put hands on and forcefully ejected him from my shop.

You didn't say how you are getting to Yellowstone, or who is paying for the trip. Depending on the circumstances, I would go, but make clear that the first antagonism from him means the end of the trip, whether five minutes or five hours from home, and if you've just checked in or it is the last night. It will also mean an end to family trips. Make clear that it is not a bluff, that you just don't give a damn, because your happiness and well-being are worth it.

If he insists on dressing like a buffoon, ignore him, and stay as far away from him as possible.

Or stay home, and make crystal clear why you are staying to everyone. That you are willing to not discuss points of disagreement for the sake of family, or even speak with him at all if that is what it takes, but he has yet to offer you the same courtesy.

Ah, c’mon. This has been the plot line of a bunch of movies, and they all turned out great at the end. 

What could possibly go wrong? Just imagine you’re Chevy Chase and he’s John Candy, and you’ll all be laughing and man-hugging at the end. 

Seriously, though — I’m in the, ‘life’s too short to spend it with people I detest,’ camp. I’d straight up not go. 

4 hours ago, Frybread Fred said:

no-hippies-allowed-bill-cannon.thumb.jpg.e75b68656eed0f2409b2dcde89a7cfde.jpg

You need to print this out, staple it to your workshop door, tape it to your trash cans and put it by your campsite! Seriously.

14 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Probably could get a T Shirt made!

At one time I had a license plate that read "UBUIBME".  Yul needs to share that attitude with his SIL. If the guy really cannot accept Yul being Yul, and he expects everybody to be just like him,  then he isn't worth the time to worry about.  

Archived