SASS Wire Forum

Driving into California with a revolver? Requirements?

I'm headed on a road trip that will take me to see some old frat brothers at Cal. I can carry in Washington and Oregon, of course not in California. Since I will meander back through Oregon and Washington, if possible I'd like to bring my carry revolver along.

I have a minivan, so no separate trunk. I have two glove compartments, one lockable. I of course will comply with all requirements, and my main purpose is simply to have it handy before California and after.

I'm just interesting in the rules, not comments on the rules!

Unloaded and in a locked container in the back.  Ammo in a separate container.

Locked container can be a soft zippered pistol case with a cheap lock like you find on a kid's diary through the tabs of the zippers.

5122efdf-a3fc-4d4e-9e22-f41bab440e40_1.02e75e90f956fc159a780610296d59c1.jpeg

Place your UNLOADED revolver in a locking container with no ammo in it. Do not lock it in the glovebox or console. It must be a container that is not either of those. 
The container can be the original plastic box or a lockable pistol rug or handgun safe. You can carry the ammo in a separate container, case or box. It does not have to be locked. 

What I do with mine is I have a canvas range bag where I put the handguns in the center part of the bag that had locking zippers and I put the ammo in the outer compartments of the bag. This way one bag hauls it all. A TSA lock holding the zippers together is perfectly adequate. 

California does not outline the criteria for the locking container. They do state that it must be lockable and attaching a lock is the same as lockable. Also, a car trunk is a lockable container, but you don’t have that option so a locking bag or box will have to do. 

Also, the “container” should not be easily accessible from the driver’s seat. So put it in the rear. 

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Inform  us then, please, though there is nothing in that state that interests me anymore.  Been there, done that in better days.

Then why bother popping in?

What Joe wrote and I wrote is exactly what someone needs to know to carry a handgun in that state. 

I spent last Christmas with relatives in California. I transported my pistol as required by state law. It was not a big deal. I also have no lockable trunk. I bought this inexpensive Snap Safe ($30) at the C-A-L ranch store in Flagstaff on the way there. Combination lock and a cable which allowed me to secure it to the seat frame. 

33A87681-63B9-4110-9B2C-39B7FC95AB2D.jpeg

46251332-8B30-444D-BCC3-D6C53A24F43C.jpeg

7A2BB40C-76C2-455B-8E79-777B368152D8.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

If CA is the destination, I don't think there is a way to comply with their laws.  Passing through is different.  I'd see if I could get my buds to meet me just over the border out of state.

Did you bother to read either of the two posts above your post?   Mine a quick gloss of how to comply and Pat's more detailed post?   Or were you in too much of a hurry to get an insult about California in?

27 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Good, no offense, but I saw stuff in a similar place at the other end of the country, NYC, that put a friend in the slammer. You just don't want to get crosswise with guns  in Blue States.

Got news for you , New York isn't California.  I know that might be a hard concept for you.   Maybe look at a map of the United States to learn the difference.

I never confuse California, it’s people (many of whom are my friends and relatives) and it’s beauty, with the Government of California.

California does not suck.

California’s politicians and laws suck.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

You just don't want to get crosswise with guns  in Blue States.

It's worth pointing out that not all "Blue states" are the same. Mine is very blue. But it has "shall issue" carry licensing without any requirement but negative background check. We have state pre-emption, too. On the other hand, after years of calm, we have a contrary tendency growing.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Unloaded and in a locked container in the back.  Ammo in a separate container.

Locked container can be a soft zippered pistol case with a cheap lock like you find on a kid's diary through the tabs of the zippers.

5122efdf-a3fc-4d4e-9e22-f41bab440e40_1.02e75e90f956fc159a780610296d59c1.jpeg

But it is specifically prohibited to carry the handgun in a glove compartment, sun viser compartment or center console, even if locked. 

If you don't want an unpleasant encounter and delay with an LEO, I strongly recommend a hard, securely locked case.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Good, no offense, but I saw stuff in a similar place at the other end of the country, NYC, that put a friend in the slammer. You just don't want to get crosswise with guns  in Blue States.

Here in California, the enforcement people are usually pretty reasonable, but you do have to be in strict compliance with some complex laws.  The reason is that LEOs desire to get home from work safely.  

19 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But it is specifically prohibited to carry the handgun in a glove compartment, sun viser compartment or center console, even if locked. 

If you don't want an unpleasant encounter and delay with an LEO, I strongly recommend a hard, securely locked case.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travelHANDGUNS

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment..

Well, I would comment on the rules in California verses the rules in Illinois, but I would need 20 pages and a lawyer to explain the Illinois  rules for out of state people.  Forget the firearms, possessing ammo in Illinois without a permitt is illegal. 

I carry my shotguns, rifles and revolvers in locked cases in the back of my extended cab Toyota truck.
As noted above, a small lock on the zipper of a canvas case is sufficient.
I do not want any of this bouncing around loose in the bed of the truck.

I have a slew of Harbor Freight hard cases that lock.
These are for the revolvers.

As also noted above, I have a heavy chain and pair of bolt-cutter-proof locks.
I use these to chain my photo equipment cases to the seat frame, when I'm away from the vehicle on a shoot.
Vehicle robberies for photo equipment is a bid deal here in CA.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:51 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travelHANDGUNS

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment..

If they would have inserted “not within reach of the driver” like some states do that would prohibit the console and glove box.

Which reminds me. In Britain a trunk is a boot. What do they call the glove box I wonder?

For that matter why do we call it a glove box now?. Nobody uses it for gloves. Just the registration, useless car manual, and junk food.

Maybe for the same reason we say, “roll down the window”. :D
But I digress…..

Howdy,

In days of old drivers used gloves because car heaters worked poorly.

And one very sunny, hot 4th of July, I reached into my glove box and pulled on

the first pair of Mechanix gloves I ever saw.  

Winter in Illinois and your box will probably have gloves.

The owners manual fits too.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

If they would have inserted “not within reach of the driver” like some states do that would prohibit the console and glove box.

Which reminds me. In Britain a trunk is a boot. What do they call the glove box I wonder?

For that matter why do we call it a glove box now?. Nobody uses it for gloves. Just the registration, useless car manual, and junk food.

But I digress…..

UB, don't you have your retired LEO ID with a CCW endorsement? 

Have mine and I can CC in all 50 states.

OLG 

The California requirements noted above are consistent with the federal law which allows out of state drivers to pass through any state with a firearm as long as it is carried in that fashion. 

Seamus

i wonder - often - why we have these discussions in our supposedly free nation of rights and liberties  , i know its a stupid question since the communists among us have taken over 

On 3/25/2022 at 10:44 PM, watab kid said:

i wonder - often - why we have these discussions in our supposedly free nation of rights and liberties  , i know its a stupid question since the communists among us have taken over 

I wanted to have this discussion because I wanted to know the laws of a particular state so that I did not run afoul of them and perhaps suffer inconvenience or worse consequences. Why else? 

I can now report that I drove down to the Bay area for a Cal rugby game with old (in more than one way..) fraternity brothers, and returned, leaving the State of California yesterday.

Cal beat St. Mary's 31-24. Last game of the regular season; both teams were undefeated going in. I spent Sunday night in Eureka, on the north coast of California. Had never been there. A very interesting place.

The pistola sat safely sans difficulty in its locked case in the back....

22 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Cal beat St. Mary's 31-24. Last game of the regular season; both teams were undefeated going in. I spent Sunday night in Eureka, on the north coast of California. Had never been there. A very interesting place..

Red,

What school were you rooting for?

A bit of trivia for you, Eureka is the foggiest place in the lower 48.  In WWII the Army Air Corps trained pilots there to fly in foggy conditions.  I learned this from a local when I had to make a business call a few miles north of Eureka.  Rather than drive from the SF Bay area & stay overnight I flew out of SFO.  The problem was that after driving from the East Bay to SFO the flight was delayed for a couple of hours then canceled due to visibility in Eureka being below minimums.

When crossing into or through such a place, you can be sure that my handgun is not one of my better models.  Bersa, Taurus and Charter Arms maybe, but not one that I would hate to have confiscated.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

Red,

What school were you rooting for?

A bit of trivia for you, Eureka is the foggiest place in the lower 48.  

Cal, for sure. I was at Cal in the late '60s and was a fraternity boy. Still have many friends from then. One way we've come up with to stay in touch is to go to a Cal rugby game in March. First time in three years we've been able to do it again. I decided to make it a road trip this year.

Cal has been a Rugby powerhouse for over a century and still is. They have a beautiful field above Memorial Stadium in Berkeley.

I played club Rugby in the '70s and '80s; never at the Cal level, though.

Old Town Eureka was very interesting. Quite a history there. I came back up the Oregon coast, hence heading over to Eureka on the way.

3 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

When crossing into or through such a place, you can be sure that my handgun is not one of my better models.  Bersa, Taurus and Charter Arms maybe, but not one that I would hate to have confiscated.

Contrary to the myths spread by the anti-everything-Californian crowd California doesn't have inspection stations on every road into the State to confiscate firearms.  Nor do the police randomly stop people to search for and confiscate guns.   And while there may be check points set up, especially on holiday weekends, to check for people driving under the influence those aren't used to confiscate firearms.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:00 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

But I digress…..

I have a pair of driving gloves in mine but I agree that I'm probably one of about ten people left in the country that do

Archived