SASS Wire Forum

Category question

Smokestack SASS#87384

13 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Yes but, with the current rules, a 10 year old kid can sign up for EOT and shoot gunfighter in the gunfighter category. My question is would they be allowed to elect to shoot against other junior gunfighters as opposed to having to shoot in the “mens” category? 

Not without their parent's consent... 

This is directed at the collective "you", not an individual... Are we as supposed adults foisting off our own aspirations and disappointments on our children or grandchildren?  Or are the kids asking for this?

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Not without their parent's consent... 

This is directed at the collective "you", not an individual... Are we as supposed adults foisting off our own aspirations and disappointments on our children or grandchildren?  Or are the kids asking for this?

I can only answer that as speaking for myself, as someone who has raised 4 kids all of whom are or were SASS shooters. One of my sons decided pretty early on that he wanted to shoot gunfighter. He decided that, not me, and it wasn’t pushed or encouraged by me either. I have my own life and don’t need to live vicariously through anyone else, even my kids. So we talked and we worked on duelist first, then double duelist. I made him shoot double duelist for a year before I would consider letting him shoot gunfighter. During that time and also after that year his choices were to get beat badly by other kids his age who were shooting traditional, or to step up and get beat by grown men until he got big enough and good enough to hold his own in the duelist or gunfighter category. So yeah, I am one who will help my kids achieve their goals, not one who sets them for them. 

3 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I can only answer that as speaking for myself, as someone who has raised 4 kids all of whom are or were SASS shooters. One of my sons decided pretty early on that he wanted to shoot gunfighter. He decided that, not me, and it wasn’t pushed or encouraged by me either. I have my own life and don’t need to live vicariously through anyone else, even my kids. So we talked and we worked on duelist first, then double duelist. I made him shoot double duelist for a year before I would consider letting him shoot gunfighter. During that time and also after that year his choices were to get beat badly by other kids his age who were shooting traditional, or to step up and get beat by grown men until he got big enough and good enough to hold his own in the duelist or gunfighter category. So yeah, I am one who will help my kids achieve their goals, not one who sets them for them. 

Yeah, he beat me quite regularly.

17 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I want a category for 44 year olds shooting whatever style they want with whatever sass approved guns they want dressed in whatever sass approved clothing they want. We'll call it the 44 modern open category. Unless there's someone else gonna shoot in it. Then we can narrow it down by hair color and propensity for eating nanner splits.

Our Club has just approved a modification to the Cowboy/Cowgirl categories.

Any SASS shooting style allowed, which includes Gunfighter.

Allows a shooter to choose the shooting style based on what works best for them on each different stage.

Obviously just a local change to those 2 categories as noted on our webpage.

17 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I want a category for 44 year olds shooting whatever style they want with whatever sass approved guns they want dressed in whatever sass approved clothing they want. We'll call it the 44 modern open category. Unless there's someone else gonna shoot in it. Then we can narrow it down by hair color and propensity for eating nanner splits.

OK, but ya gotta eat the nanner splits on the clock... wait, you'd still be too fast. Hair color, yeah, PM gets to pick the color for that match...:ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Good on ya!   Support is a wonderful thing.  

15 hours ago, Griff said:

Au Contraire... Senior was the first age-based category... 1st Senior EOT winner was McCloud, SASS #576 in 1989.  Junior started in 1989 with Calico, SASS#855 being the first winner.  It was divided in 1993 into Jr. Boys & Jr. Girls:  Sharpshooter winning Boys, and Lil' Bit of Wyoming as Jr. Girls champion.  Elder Statesman 1st appeared at EOT in 1999 with Deaf Laws, SASS #6889, also winning in 2000.  Senior Duelist appeared in 2001 with Rimfire Ray, SASS #7433 as winning EOT that year.  The first 49er EOT winner was Lassiter Thunder, SASS #22846 in 2003.

Duelist was first recognized at EOT in 1993 with Tex, SASS #4 winning.  While differing slightly from its form today, Frontiersman began in 1986 being won by Smuck, SASS #160. 

You are right. That was one reason 49r got put in then the rest is history. 

17 hours ago, Navy Davey said:

Put everybody in the category in one group oldest to youngest then divide by 3. All groups would be the same size 

with 25 total shooters that makes it tough on the guy that get divided into thirds :D

17 hours ago, Griff said:

Jack, you know that buckaroos/ettes weren't allowed to shoot until the early 2000s, weren't a recognized category until 2005.  When I started shooting the minimum age for ANY shooter was 12.  And gunfighter wasn't allowed.  In fact, Duelist was actively discouraged.  There were many discussions about whether to ever allow either style, either with or without some form of qualification.  These discussions were sometimes hotly contested.  Both the minimum age and shooting style things.

While that may have been true 20 years ago, shooters in any category today can only go by what is in today's shooter's handbook.

Today, shooters in the buckaroo category are able to shoot in the Duelist or Double Duelist style. There is no restriction.

I have known some buckaroo shooters who actively shoot black powder in the buckaroo category. Again, there is no restriction.

Me, personally, when our Buckaroo was growing up, I made it known to him and the members of our posse, that for him, knockdowns must be reengaged until down. He was shooting the same 38 and 12 gauge loads that the rest of the family was. There was no reason why they shouldn't go down - unless he didn't hit 'em. That was my decision - as his father - on how he would participate (within the rules of our game) - albeit, perhaps, different from his competition.

He dabbled with shooting in the duelist style, mostly in dry fire, but some in practice. My son was - and still is - more interested in other pursuits and did not spend enough time practicing in the duelist style to decide to make the switch, but I always left that up to him. 

With several of the rule changes of late, there are, IMHO, too many nuances in the rules for the average SASS TO to keep up with.  We have some of these recent changes that TOs are still not applying correctly because the do not understand the distinctions in the "fine print". To add another rule that, for the sake of argument, "only applies on Tuesdays on the first full moon of an odd number month,"  but does not apply in all conditions evenly will just add to that confusion.

@Griff you are right about self regulation. Just because our rules currently allow shooters in the buckaroo category to shoot in the duelist or double duelist style doesn't mean they all went running out and started shooting that way, or that their parents would even let them. However, for those that wanted to put in the trigger time to learn and perfect the skill, why put in place another, "Rattlesnake Wrangler Rule?"

Branchwater Jack, I was merely stating the conditions as when I & my family started shooting... far longer than even 20years past.  I certainly agree, a youngster with the manual dexterity and control to shoot single-handed, with their parents permission and supervision, should be allowed to... and it is permitted under the rule of:  if it don't say I can't, I can!  And duelist style is allowed in any category.  As I read and understand, a buckeroo/ette that wants to shoot gunfighter, must sign up as a gunfighter and adhere to the category requirements.  And... if a MD wants to offer a Buckeroo/ette-Gunfighter category, that's ok too.  Just as when we petitioned a match director to segregate Cap-n-Ball Gunfighter, he required a certain head count... 

But, quite frankly, there's already too many official SASS categories, that by contract have to be offered.  I often wonder what it'd be like if we just went back to Traditional, Modern, Ladies & Jr....   I know... we can never go home... 

p.s.:  I generally supported each change in category as they came along... and am second-guessing myself!!! :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, Griff said:

Quite frankly, there's already too many official SASS categories, that by contract have to be offered.

This Gunfighter issues is not talking about offering a new category. They are merely discussing changing the existing aged based shooting style categories to allow the competitors the option of shooting in any shooting style.

Although, to the point of the OP and the point you are making, yes....a lot of folks now say there are too many categories to add some new ones.

Archived