SASS Wire Forum

A plug for allowing the gunfighter shooting style in age-based categories

Just now, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Just got a reply from my message to Pale Wolf - I am correct. I've asked him to chime in here.  If he doesn't then I will copy and paste his reply.

And, I am sure you quoted what I said, word for word...:rolleyes:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

And, I am sure you quoted what I said, word for word...:rolleyes:

Above the “Base Categories” listed in this handbook, the local club monthly match and club annual match level, all SASS recognized shooting categories may be offered by subdividing by all factors; including age, gender, shooting style, and propellant. When breaking down all style/costume categories, the regulations for the base category are to be applied first, then the age limits.

39 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

When breaking down all style/costume categories, the regulations for the base category are to be applied first, then the age limits.

Senior duelist is a shooting style category with a age division.

Senior is an age-based category.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:49 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

This is one of the discussion items in the eot territorial Governor meeting

As it stands, duelists shooting adjustable site revolvers have a place to go, but gunfighters do not.

You said the above - Duelist can't shoot adjustable site revolvers

3 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

So as I said ALL Duelists are required to use fixed sight revolvers regardless of age

Which had absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

This is exactly what I said.

A competitor shooting in an age-based category can use adjustable sight revolvers.

A competitor shooting in an age-based category can shoot in the traditional or duelist style.

Therefore a competitor can shoot in the duelist style with adjustable site revolvers in an age-based category.

And, if/when @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L reads this, he will agree that I'm absolutely right.

You didn't say "As it stands, duelists shooting adjustable site revolvers have a place to go, but gunfighters do not. " ??? It's right there. 

3 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

You said the above - Duelist can't shoot adjustable site revolvers

No, I said duelists shooting adjustable sight revolvers have a place to go. They do. They can shoot in an age-based category.

What I did not say, but is also factually true, is that they (a duelist with adjustable sight revolvers) cannot shoot in a shooting style category.

No, I said duelists shooting adjustable sight revolvers have a place to go. They do. They can shoot in an age-based category.

What I did not say, but is also factually true, is that they cannot shoot in a shooting style category.

Not as duelists

2 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

You can shoot in any style, except gunfighter, in an age-based category.

You CANNOT SIGN UP AS A DUELIST AND shoot adjustable sight firearms period - so what duelist was shooting an adjustable sight gun - you're being obtuse and you know it.

7 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

You CANNOT SIGN UP AS A DUELIST AND shoot adjustable sight firearms period - so what duelist was shooting an adjustable sight gun - you're being obtuse and you know it.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT SOMEONE WITH ADJUSTABLE SIGHT REVOLVERS SIGN UP TO SHOOT IN A SHOOTING STYLE CATEGORY, which duelist is. I will refrain from answering further with what could be seen as a personal attack.

However, I am excerpting, again, the rules for competitors in AGE BASED CATEGORIES from the Shooter's Handbook and only including the pertinent bits, that state that someone with adjustable sight revolver who wishes to shoot in the duelist style can sign up to shoot in an age based category.

Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers. Age based categories carry the following guidelines:

- May use any main match revolver.

- Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter.

It appears (to me) that there is a bit of confusion between the terms "DUELIST" (a shooting style CATEGORY that requires "fixed sight model revolvers")

and

Duelist STYLE which is allowed in all categories (as Double Duelist STYLE in GF) 

and

mandatory in others (e.g., Duelist, Frontiersman, FC Duelist, and the Classic categories...which, BTW, also require "fixed sight model revolvers".)

Duelist STYLE using "adjustable sight model revolvers" is allowed in the Age Based categories.

4 minutes ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

How about those of us who can’t shoot one handed (duelist or gunfighter) in Classic Cowboy or Frontiersman?  It takes two hands on the grip to be safe.  

You can shoot cap guns, just like they do in frontiersman, but shoot them in the traditional style in an age based category.

You can shoot big bore guns, and dress up with five pieces of flare, just like they do in classic cowboy, but shoot the pistols in the traditional style in an age based category.

Thanks to @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L and his help, we can now come back to the original point of this thread, and it is one I hope @Joe LaFives #5481 and everyone else now understands....

You can shoot any main match legal pistol in an Age Based category

You can shoot any main match legal rifle in an Age Based category

You can shoot any main match legal shotgun in an Age Based category

You can shoot any SASS legal ammunition or combination thereof (smokeless pistol and rifle, BP shotgun for instance) in an Age Based category

You can wear any legal clothing in an Age Based category

You can shoot pistols in any legal style in an Age Based category EXCEPT gunfighter.

To recertify this long-standing, gross injustice, please consider the following:

We welcome change and openness; for we believe that fun and safety go together, that to advance the opportunities to shoot in the gunfighter style can only serve to strengthen the game of cowboy action shooting. There is one sign the Territorial Governors can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the fun and equalize the opportunities that come with cowboy action shooting. Territorial Governors, if you seek equality, if you seek to reduce some of the rules that we have that just do not make sense, if you seek to continue the growth of this great game: Pick up your Shooter's Handbook! Territorial Governors, open up your Shooter's Handbook! Territorial Governors, tear out this exception!

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Thanks to @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L and his help, we can now come back to the original point of this thread, and it is one I hope @Joe LaFives #5481 and everyone else now understands....

You can shoot any main match legal pistol in an Age Based category

You can shoot any main match legal rifle in an Age Based category

You can shoot any main match legal shotgun in an Age Based category

You can shoot any SASS legal ammunition or combination thereof (smokeless pistol and rifle, BP shotgun for instance) in an Age Based category

You can wear any legal clothing in an Age Based category

You can shoot pistols in any legal style in an Age Based category EXCEPT gunfighter.

To recertify this long-standing, gross injustice, please consider the following:

We welcome change and openness; for we believe that fun and safety go together, that to advance the opportunities to shoot in the gunfighter style can only serve to strengthen the game of cowboy action shooting. There is one sign the Territorial Governors can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the fun and equalize the opportunities that come with cowboy action shooting. Territorial Governors, if you seek equality, if you seek to reduce some of the rules that we have that just do not make sense, if you seek to continue the growth of this great game: Pick up your Shooter's Handbook! Territorial Governors, open up your Shooter's Handbook! Territorial Governors, tear out this exception!

I understand it perfectly - don't call it duelist, call it duelist style

17 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Which had absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

This is exactly what I said.

A competitor shooting in an age-based category can use adjustable sight revolvers.

A competitor shooting in an age-based category can shoot in the traditional or duelist style.

Therefore a competitor can shoot in the duelist style with adjustable site revolvers in an age-based category.

And, if/when @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L reads this, he will agree that I'm absolutely right.

I hate to have to disagree, because I’m usually wrong, but you cannot shoot any category of duelist with adjustable sights. The used to be allowed in Senior Duelist and I had a pair of Blackhawks I intended to shoot with when I got old enough. The year before I was a Senior they changed it and Senior Duelist is not an age based category now. It is a Duelist Category with an age stipulation.

Randy 

1 minute ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I hate to have to disagree, because I’m usually wrong, but you cannot shoot any category of duelist with adjustable sights. The used to be allowed in Senior Duelist and I had a pair of Blackhawks I intended to shoot with when I got old enough. The year before I was a Senior they changed it and Senior Duelist is not an age based category now. It is a Duelist Category with an age stipulation.

Randy 

I guess I should have read all the way through every post before replying.

Randy 

43 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

I understand it perfectly - don't call it duelist, call it duelist style

Bet a lot of folks wish y'all learned that lesson before putting out the Shooter's Book for EOT this year, too!

26 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Bet a lot of folks wish y'all learned that lesson before putting out the Shooter's Book for EOT this year, too!

Right but somehow after the fact you still didn't

5 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I know exactly what I'm talking about. But, for others, while reading may be fundamental, compression is not.

Try using the correct term next time.  Wisdom is learning from others mistakes.  Saves time

9 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I know exactly what I'm talking about. But, for others, while reading may be fundamental, compression is not.

I think you meant comprehension

1 minute ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Try using the correct term next time.  Wisdom is learning from others mistakes.  Saves time

Ya, typo on my part there. Little distracted trying to talk into my phone and play a game of pinball at the same time. Thanks for pointing out the typo

But since I have your undivided attention, I never did see a response to this question

1 minute ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Ya, typo on my part there. Little distracted trying to talk into my phone and play a game of pinball at the same time. Thanks for pointing out the typo

But since I have your undivided attention, I never did see a response to this question

If you read my post you would have noticed that I was quoting someone else.  I haven't the skill to read minds.

If you read my post you would have noticed that I was quoting someone else.  I haven't the skill to read minds.

Well, why don't you be a sweetheart and go get us an answer for that then. I'm sure we'd appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Well, why don't you be a sweetheart and go get us an answer for that then. I'm sure we'd appreciate it.

See that's the problem with America today. Folks can't do things for themselves.  You have email - send one

See that's the problem with America today. Folks can't do things for themselves.  You have email - send one

Bless your heart. For someone who isn't running the show, you sure do act like it.

5 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Bless your heart. For someone who isn't running the show, you sure do act like it.

The only primadonna I see is you and gee I thought only women used that "term of endearment" to insult someone

I let my credentials speak for themselves

And that would be - Know it all?

Archived