SASS Wire Forum

HELP!!!! re Great Western versus Great Western 2

Pard has a set of Great Westerns I want to buy but not sure what's the diff between a Great Western and a Great Western 2 both are the Californian model.

Both seem to be by Pietta but not sure of the differences if any.

edited in. I did call EMF and giy was not exactly helpful.

my thanks in advance

The original Great Western was NOT made by Pietta.  I don't actually remember whom, but Hawes comes to mind.  Weak and feeble mind at that.  Don't quote me on Hawes, but that's what I seem to remember.

When Boyd Davis (General Grant) put forth his requirements for the Great Western II, the only respondent was The Brothers Pietta. SIX sample samples, to be disassembled with the parts thrown into a box.  Parts then drawn from the box blind and the guns reassembled in working condition.  Hence the new GW II became Pietta. 

The original Great Westerns were made by Great Western.  James Arness used one in the first years of the Gunsmoke series.

http://www.greatwesternfirearms.com/models/

Thanks but these ate NOT made by great western. Boxes are clearly marked Great Western by Pietta and distributed by EMF.

I know in the 50’s there was a co named Great Western and I should have been more

concise in my description.

So both the great western and great western 2 were made by Pietta anybody

KNOW the difference because wven EMF seems to not really know! I know they changed hamds when Boyd died but????

11 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

You could try contacting Pietta directly at piettausa.com.  They have a message app under the "contact us" banner.  

9 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Thank you Tex, Abilene and Larsen and other good sirs. I have an email into Pietta as we speak.

After calling EMF I was kinda put off. Will update when I know anything!!

After U.S. Grant passed away EMF was acquired by Pietta which saved EMF from ceasing operations. Unless ownership change slipped under the radar recently, I believe that Pietta is currently still the parent company ;)

And the GWll are very good guns. Just estimating I say that my pair of GWll Californian Deluxe are approaching 20,000+ each round count and have been reliable, tough and smooth :)

This is an original Great Western revolver.   It's a .44 Magnum.  I have read that it was actually the first .44 Mag to hit the market, but I have seen things that contradict that, so I don't know for sure.  You can see the characteristic faux stag grips that were common on this gun.  The top of the barrel is marked Great Western Arms Co.

1394838259_GreatWestern44Mag.thumb.jpg.993f28915012ff41296b14853c8a2064.jpg

Here you can see the most unique feature of the GW, the hammer.

2040178591_GWCocked.thumb.jpg.176e1391a03ec69954b74db78de834ac.jpg

There is a frame mounted firing pin that is struck just below the "square" part of the hammer.

It is a great shooting pistol.  

Ill jump into this and give my recollection.

The GWII was named as such to differentiate it from the former standalone model and manufacturer discussed by others "Great Western".

The Great Western II came in two models.

Californian and Deluxe.

Both are the EXACT same gun built by Pietta to 2nd gen Colt specifications.

The only differences being the Deluxe came with faux Ivory grips and they were sent to Doug Turnbull for actual bone fired case hardening colors.

The Californian made due with wooden grips and lesser case hardening colors.

Obviously these differences do not apply to later nickel/ stainless models.

Pietta has also made another version of their SAA clone under different names (never Great Western II) with a frame mounted firing pin and transfer bar.

To the best of my knowledge - the Great Western II has always remained a very faithful replica of the 2nd gen Colt with hammer mounted firing pin, bushing cylinder and parts interchangability.

I currently have a pair of GWII's that have been my main match pistols for most of my SASS shooting.

i have , within the last three years purchased can enjoyed ca pair of EMF GWII ,revolvers , they were labeled the "liberty" 357 mag 43/4" on the end of the box , the front of the box matches that posted - great western /model 1873 single action revolver , and they have a "piettas code number" SA73-119LIB , they have the floating firing pin and lazer engraving i could care less about , im not a big fan of the plastic[ivory] grip scales either but i like the feel of these revolvers and they have excellent actions that perform well out of the box , mine are 357/38 and ive not got a lot of experience with them yet but i like them a lot 

my two were bought a bit over a year apart , the first one grew on me and won me over to loading 38s [i never thought i would] ive always shot 45colt but hey it all came together i guess - i found the first revolver and the rifle - then i just needed the second revolver , i am not sure why but im pleased , i already had dies - i already had brass , i had powder, a few /primes and just needed bullets , they were available when i looked , the primers became a problem but i found them as well , now im set for a couple years minimum , i may change out the grip scales if i can find the right ones the faux ivory are too slippery for my liking , but i really like my EMF GW II revolvers they are just better than many ive had over the years and ive owned a LOT 

About 3 years ago I got 4 Pieta Great Western 2 blank guns.  Two of them had the firing pin on the hammer and two of them had a transfer bar.  The ones with the transfer bar were more desirable for reenacting because you could load all 6 cylinders and leave the hammer down on a cylinder with a blank in it and not worry about it going off if dropped.  This way you could get more smoke and noise into the performance.

Archived