SASS Wire Forum

Wyatt Earp on the History Channel

Goody, SASS #26190

Just watched a show on the History Channel named Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner. Very different from Tombstone (movie). Just wondering how far did it stray from fact? Anyone here ever done any studies if the man and his family, outside of the happenings at Tombstone?

14 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Not a bad book, can't speak to its accuracy Wyatt Earp, the Life Behind the Legend Casey Tefertiller

Plus One!

I read the book some years ago after watching the various Earp movies for the zillionth time.  This book is robustly researched and documented on par with any you’ll find in a research library, but written in a pleasing style.  The author uses all contemporary accounts such as letters and newspapers to track Mr Earp from his birth to death.

Wyatt Earp was a complicated man. He was the “last man standing” from the Old West, so he got to write his own story to a large degree.  

This book sorts through the mythology, sticks to the facts in an unbiased but entertaining fashion, and is a must-read for anyone with an interest in the West’s real history. 

https://www.amazon.com/Casey-Tefertiller/e/B001IXO7QQ%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

A little more historically accurate than Tombstone and includes more about his life than Tombstone. Costner used a drop holster though. 

Tombstone was waaaay more entertaining in MHO.

The two movies, Wyatt Earp and Tombstone, started out as the same movie, but there was controversy between Kostner and the director/producers.  So Kostner broke away and the two movies developed separately.  In general I liked the actors much better in Tombstone, but Kostner's movie covered a much larger span of Earp's life.

The movies were released very close to each other and at the time I though one was just copying the other.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:55 PM, Diamond Jake said:

The two movies, Wyatt Earp and Tombstone, started out as the same movie, but there was controversy between Kostner and the director/producers.  So Kostner broke away and the two movies developed separately.  In general I liked the actors much better in Tombstone, but Kostner's movie covered a much larger span of Earp's life.

The movies were released very close to each other and at the time I though one was just copying the other.

Where did you hear that they started out as the same movie? Kevin Jarre wrote the original script for Tombstone but they decided to go with another writer. True West magazine had a huge story about Tombstone in their latest issue. There was never a mention of Wyatt Earp and Tombstone starting off as the same movie. Can you show where you heard or read that? I'm curious!

https://truewestmagazine.com/article/tombstone-on-the-cutting-room-floor/

On 3/26/2022 at 6:58 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Where did you hear that they started out as the same movie? ...

https://truewestmagazine.com/article/tombstone-on-the-cutting-room-floor/

It was several years ago in an interview on YouTube.  I can't find it now.  If I remember correctly, it was very early in the production process; possibly before they even hired all the crew and cast.

12 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

It was several years ago in an interview on YouTube.  I can't find it now.  If I remember correctly, it was very early in the production process; possibly before they even hired all the crew and cast.

Yea proof you can't believe everything you see on the internet.:lol:

I liked both movies. Tombstone was more entertaining and had plenty of lines to use as starting lines in SASS. Wyatt Earp only had a couple of lines that stick out (to me) as memorable and both of them were said by Randy Quade.

The Terfertiller book, mentioned by Charlie Harley, is an excellent book. Well researched and written.

2 hours ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

I think "Tombstone" is a better Hollywood movie. "Wyatt Earp" is a better historical representation. I like both films.

My impression as well.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I liked both movies. Tombstone was more entertaining and had plenty of lines to use as starting lines in SASS. Wyatt Earp only had a couple of lines that stick out (to me) as memorable and both of them were said by Randy Quade.

The Terfertiller book, mentioned by Charlie Harley, is an excellent book. Well researched and written.

Dennis Quaid, interesting I read somewhere he lost 40 lbs to do that role!!! He sure looked the part of a sickly Doc Holliday!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Dennis Quaid, interesting I read somewhere he lost 40 lbs to do that role!!! He sure looked the part of a sickly Doc Holliday!

Oops, you're right...Dennis Quade. I read the same thing about him and he sure looked similar to the pictures that I've seen of the real Holliday.

Archived