SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Shell Recipe Needed

Does anyone have a 12 ga. low recoil 1 oz. recipe using Alliant Clay Dot powder that they would be willing to share?  I would also like to have the Mec Bushing number that I would need for this load if possible.  My old reliable powder has become scarce and I'm having to use what I can find.  Thanks a lot.  Sandhills Slim

A well behaved load with Clay Dot, 1 ounce shot follows:

Remington (STS, Nitro, Gun Club, or American Clay and Field) or Winchester AA hulls

15 grains Clay Dot

Claybuster CB 1100-12 wad (pink, and it's the Win AA 12SL wad clone)

1 ounce shot

Just about any 209 size primer will work without having pressure worries

You can go lighter on the Clay Dot to get less recoil, until you have squibs and then you will regret going that low.

There is no need to apologize about using Clay Dot.  It's one of the best shotshell powders for cowboy shotshells, and even our pistol cartridge loads, too.

good luck, GJ

Same as above except I use a #22 bushing that drops 12 grs. of Clay Dot

The Targets stand no chance as long as I do my part.

For past year since I ran out of Clays, I've been using:

14 grs. Clay-Dot

Claybuster grey wad 

7/8 oz.#8 shot

Any primer

These have worked fine for Ellie and I.

1 hour ago, Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998 said:

Does anyone have a 12 ga. low recoil 1 oz. recipe using Alliant Clay Dot powder that they would be willing to share?  I would also like to have the Mec Bushing number that I would need for this load if possible.  My old reliable powder has become scarce and I'm having to use what I can find.  Thanks a lot.  Sandhills Slim

I use a MEC 27 bushing with Clay Dot powder with 3/4, 7/8 and 1oz. Loads and it is very pleasant to shoot. I am sure you could drop the powder charge a little but I haven’t seen a need to try.

Thanks 

Randy 

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A well behaved load with Clay Dot, 1 ounce shot follows:

Remington (STS, Nitro, Gun Club, or American Clay and Field) or Winchester AA hulls

15 grains Clay Dot

Claybuster CB 1100-12 wad (pink, and it's the Win AA 12SL wad clone)

1 ounce shot

Just about any 209 size primer will work without having pressure worries

You can go lighter on the Clay Dot to get less recoil, until you have squibs and then you will regret going that low.

There is no need to apologize about using Clay Dot.  It's one of the best shotshell powders for cowboy shotshells, and even our pistol cartridge loads, too.

good luck, GJ

My current load ^^^^^ using STS or Nitro hulls. 
Been using it since I started reloading shot shells. 
I am currently experimenting with a 3/4 oz (maybe 7/8 oz) load with 14 grains Clays for SWMBO. 
YMMV
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived