SASS Wire Forum

Curio and relic license

Irish Pat

I do.

Can be helpful in obtaining certain guns for our game.   Can also get you access to many other cool guns.  For example, with a C&R, you can have an early AR-15, (Or a Colt SP-1) shipped right to your front door.  

Basically, anything over 50 years old, is C&R.   So are some guns less than 50 years old.    For example, all Second Generation SAA's are C&R.   So is every Colt Sheriff's Model ever made, even if it was made last Tuesday.   

If your machine gun happens to be C&R, like any Tommy gun made prior to 1986, you can cross state lines with it without having to get permission from the ATF every time you do so.

Among other things, you can buy C&R Pistols in at least 45 out of 50 states over the counter if you happen to be visiting said state.   Exceptions are, NY, and NJ for sure.  Massachusetts may be problematic, but since I live here, it's not a problem for me.   California has weird rules I don't fully understand.  But, you can have guns in those states SHIPPED to your home.  For example, dealers in both California and New York said they could ship to me.  The one in NY after politely telling me he could not sell it to me OTC.  

And, given how you can basically shop the whole country, you can search around for good deals that may not be available in your home area.  

Some stores even give a discount to C&R holders in general.

So, it's worth getting.   But it will cause your collection to grow...

I have one too.

For all the reasons  H J mentioned.

It is required to keep a 'bound book' recording all purchases on the C&R license.

It only costs $30, well worth it.

Yes, some FFLs do not honor a C&R, that is their privilege. I have encountered one dealer north of here that will not honor a C&R.

Only one.

Go here to learn everything you want to know about C&R licenses:

http://www.cruffler.com/

I have had one since 2006 ... Renew for $30 every three years.

It has paid for itself many times over ... just for the discount at Brownells.

BATF sends neat stuff out (apparently when it builds up in a corner somewhere ... (CDs ... books (state laws etc ... firearm record folders) ... and calls/email when any local FFLs get ripped off etc ... 

For FFLs that do not want to transfer to an 03 ... well ... OK ... whatever ...  

When you decide to not renew ... you don't have to worry about turning in your bound book ... you can just trash it. -_- 

I had one back about 17 years ago when I was collecting military surplus  firearms. Made life easy when ordering from the many mil surp dealers at the time having orders shipped direct to my home, as well as using it for local gun show and auction purchases. After all the low priced imported military surplus firearms dried up it was no longer worth it to me to hang onto so I dropped mine in 2018 when it came up for renewal.  

Fifty years old, or on the C&R list, makes a firearm eligible for C&R status. Fifty years ago was 1972, making a LOT of "modern" guns eligible. C&R's can't be verified on ATF's Ez Check site, so a phone call is required to verify its legitimacy, and you can't print out a phone call for your records. A dealer would also have to research and verify the firearm in question was actually made 50+ years prior to the date of sale. Those are the biggest reasons a Type 1, 2, whatever, don't want to deal with it. I think the reason Type 03 licenses aren't accessible on the Ez Check site is just a matter of personal security. Other license type are typically businesses, while a C&R holder isn't, of course. It keeps the criminal element from finding addresses of homes with guns and little or no security. 

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And some FFL's will not ship to a C&R Licensee...

Why is that? 

fir the record, as a collector of old pocket pistols I do have a C&R, and have also had a 1960(something) gun mailed direct to me as a C&R holder. They can be handy! It us a bit of a pain to remember to enter/delete them from book. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Why is that? 

fir the record, as a collector of old pocket pistols I do have a C&R, and have also had a 1960(something) gun mailed direct to me as a C&R holder. They can be handy! It us a bit of a pain to remember to enter/delete them from book. 

Hoss,

See TFJ's post. He does a great job of explaining the issues.

Phantom

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Fifty years old, or on the C&R list, makes a firearm eligible for C&R status. Fifty years ago was 1972, making a LOT of "modern" guns eligible. C&R's can't be verified on ATF's Ez Check site, so a phone call is required to verify its legitimacy, and you can't print out a phone call for your records. A dealer would also have to research and verify the firearm in question was actually made 50+ years prior to the date of sale. Those are the biggest reasons a Type 1, 2, whatever, don't want to deal with it. I think the reason Type 03 licenses aren't accessible on the Ez Check site is just a matter of personal security. Other license type are typically businesses, while a C&R holder isn't, of course. It keeps the criminal element from finding addresses of homes with guns and little or no security. 

Fortunately ... no one should be sending a firearm to even an 01 FFL w/o having a "signed" copy of the destination license holder. 

Howdy Again

50 years old or older does not always qualify a firearm as C&R. In the past I did a lot of business with a particular auction house. I came across a S&W Model 1917 that was clearly more than 50 years old, but it was listed in the catalog as modern. When I inquired as to why, the owner of the auction house explained that in order to qualify for C&R status, the firearm had to be in its original condition. This one was wearing modern grips. If the original style of grips were on it, it would rate as C&R. By the same token a sporterized Lee Enfield would not qualify as C&R. Put original style grips on the 1917, or put an original style stock on the Lee Enfield, and it would revert to C&R status. It did not have to be the original grips or the original stock, just the original style. These guys sell a huge amount of guns, and the BATF goes over their books every year, so I take what he said as gospel.

Regarding a dealer not selling a firearm as C&R, unlike most businesses, a FFL can deny a sale to anyone he sees fit to. If a dealer chooses to not sell a firearm as C&R, even though it clearly is C&R, that is his privilege.

46 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

When I inquired as to why, the owner of the auction house explained that in order to qualify for C&R status, the firearm had to be in its original condition. This one was wearing modern grips.

I had something similar to me happen once.  I found a 92 Winchester at a Cabela's and they would not C&R sell it to me because the stock had been refinished.  Original stock.   Some places that "original condition" to a strange extreme.   And as Driftwood said, returning to original condition is okay.  The finish on this gun does look like an original style finish, but there you go.   Well, since it was a rifle, I just bought regular over the counter, but it was annoying.

Cabela's in general can be a confusing place to buy a C&R gun,   I found a Colt Lighting revolver made in 1909 at another one, showed 'em my C&R and they didn't know if they could sell it to me or not.   Long story short, I said, "Okay, here's my credit card.  I'll purchase it.  When the boss comes in tomorrow to figure it out, send it to me,  If you decide you can't, void the sale."   Eventually, the gun showed up at my door, they did not charge me for shipping, or the small pistol case I was gonna buy in the store, but they picked it back up of the shelf and used it to ship to me.

I still visit their stores and am not against purchasing there, but they can be confusing!

On another note; I have purchased 3 Webley revolvers shaved for .45 ACP on the C&R.   So I guess that "original condition" is open to wide interpretation.

If you live in CA another advantage of a C&R is you can buy ammo online & have it shipped directly to you.   The makes it definitely worth the $30 license fee.

Archived