SASS Wire Forum

Returned Serviceman

Buckshot Bear

I've watched every Anzac Day march since I can remember, watched the ranks of the WW1 vets slowly dwindle, watched the ranks of the WW11 vets dwindle.

Can't believe now all these young fit handsome blokes in the photo below are also now in their '70s. 
I can remember visiting my Dad (WWII) in a Repatriation Hospital and seeing some of these young blokes in the wards swathed head to toe in bandages looking like an Egyptian mummy and legs and arms hanging from wires.

5060721891_b8e37c4c52_z.jpg.ae3a184f61df4ceaa8127e3b451080df.jpg

9 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I think your timing is off, pard.  They would be in their 90s now.  The war ended 77 years ago, and they didn't show up the day they were born!

Think Viet Nam, not WWII.

59 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I think your timing is off, pard.  They would be in their 90s now.  The war ended 77 years ago, and they didn't show up the day they were born!

Note the rifles. My generation.

For me, the very sad part is seeing the farm boys in the hospitals covered in bandages, instead of the politicians that started the war in the first place.

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Think Chicago Democrat Convention 1968.

?? I see no connection?

I've been trying to figure out how we went from Anzac to the Chicago convention.

I guess some people just want to make everything political.

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've been trying to figure out how we went from Anzac to the Chicago convention.

I said, "Think Viet Nam." in response to:

10 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Pretty sure there were no ANZAC troops in Chicago.

I have always had great respect for those troops from down under who fought with us in that war, when most of our other “Allies” didn’t want to get involved.

9830D785-F730-4325-B82A-6C89C7236BE2.jpeg

14 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That was what tipped me off.  Definitely not SMLEs.

They are SLRs (Self Loading Rifles). 

The Aussie modified and built FN FALs

From Wiki

The Australian Army, as a late member of the Allied Rifle Committee along with the United Kingdom and Canada adopted the committee's improved version of the FAL rifle, designated the L1A1 rifle by Australia and Great Britain, and C1 by Canada. The Australian L1A1 is also known as the "self-loading rifle" (SLR), and in fully automatic form, the "automatic rifle". The Australian L1A1 features are almost identical to the British L1A1 version of FAL; however, the Australian L1A1 differs from its British counterpart in the design of the upper receiver lightening cuts. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:25 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

I've watched every Anzac Day march since I can remember, watched the ranks of the WW1 vets slowly dwindle, watched the ranks of the WW11 vets dwindle.

Can't believe now all these young fit handsome blokes in the photo below are also now in their '70s. 
I can remember visiting my Dad (WWII) in a Repatriation Hospital and seeing some of these young blokes in the wards swathed head to toe in bandages looking like an Egyptian mummy and legs and arms hanging from wires.

5060721891_b8e37c4c52_z.jpg.ae3a184f61df4ceaa8127e3b451080df.jpg

After 20 years of commitment in Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan there is probably around another 10,000+ younger newer vets out there to. Hopefully they will be treated a bit better than the fine young men in your photo (which from the white lanyards are Artillery Corps).

The same goes for our US Brothers in Arms.

Archived