SASS Wire Forum

Vintage telephones

My daughter-in-law (a more lovable woman would be very hard to find) brought me a belated birthday present, a hall telephone stand nearly identical to the one my parents had when I was a kid.  I have a corner that it fits perfectly.

After a couple of days searching the web I can't find a phone for it.

We never had dial phones when I was younger but we had a black and nickel plate "candle stick" phone and later a Western Electric cradle phone that was all black.  Neither one was in any way fancy and neither ons had a crank ringer, but we simply picked up the phone and when the Operator asked  for the number she would ring it for us.  Both had fabric wrapped cords  I would like either one and don't even care if it works (I doubt it would) as long as it looks good.

Any suggestions?

I can find "retro" "repos" with dials and push buttons and so on, some very elaborate to the point of being cartoonish, but none interests me even a bit.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My daughter-in-law (a more lovable woman would be very hard to find) brought me a belated birthday present, a hall telephone stand nearly identical to the one my parents had when I was a kid.  I have a corner that it fits perfectly.

After a couple of days searching the web I can't find a phone for it.

We never had dial phones when I was younger but we had a black and nickel plate "candle stick" phone and later a Western Electric cradle phone that was all black.  Neither one was in any way fancy and neither ons had a crank ringer, but we simply picked up the phone and when the Operator asked  for the number she would ring it for us.  Both had fabric wrapped cords  I would like either one and don't even care if it works (I doubt it would) as long as it looks good.

Any suggestions?

I can find "retro" "repos" with dials and push buttons and so on, some very elaborate to the point of being cartoonish, but none interests me even a bit.

Thanks

Try here looks like they have at least one https://www.etsy.com/search?q=antique telephones&ref=auto-1&as_prefix=antique telephones

Like these?   
And they are supposed to work with a landline. 

Vintage Antique Candlestick Rotary Dial Phone Brass Finish Table Decorative Telephone https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00W78HG0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GYTBKAP43WBWVFW2NWWJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Opis 1921 Cable Model C: The Classic Candlestick Retro Telephone Made from Real Wood https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PBRVQWV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_54FSKTT8T1ZGT3A33CXH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Obtaining one is, many times, difficult, and may take a while. 

Even more difficult, is if you want it to actually be a working phone. It may not be possible, in this day and age of no analog anything. 

Too bad. We used to have a "candlestick" phone, like the one they used on the set of the Andy Griffith Show. Ours had a rotary dial, so we could dial the number without getting the operator. 

Sometimes, I really wonder if we have made any "progress" at all, over the years. 

I miss our "candlestick" phone, and our Atwater-Kent radio, and our short-wave radio that was as big as a large ice chest.

Our first t.v. was an Emerson, made in the U.S.A., by the way. It had a real wood cabinet, not plywood, or plastic. The screen was so small, we had to take turns watching it. The control knobs were bare metal, and once they had a short in them, and when you touched it, it would knock the curds and whey out of you. Mom kept a rubber kitchen glove, by the t.v., so we could use the knobs, to adjust the picture, without getting zapped. It is funny now, but back then you felt like it zapped you so hard that it welded your fillings together in your mouth. 

3 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i have the hall telephone stand from my grandparents house , they had a party line 

My Mum used to be one of these switchboard operators in the early '40s.....she said some of the conversations were interesting!

1_MfOaLBtqjvchvWlqk6Z6Hw.jpeg.9118ac89b3a166c46e0c82c0bc8598ff.jpeg

On 3/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, Rip Snorter said:

The only ones I found there without dial were hand cranked, over priced, or garbage...some were all three.  One exception would have been perfest except for the caramel creme color.

Thanks for trying though.

5 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Hit the antique stores in Prescott. Bound to be one there.

That's on the agenda over the next week. I don't recall any in my visits before, but if you're an old camera buff.............!

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Like these?   
And they are supposed to work with a landline. 

Vintage Antique Candlestick Rotary Dial Phone Brass Finish Table Decorative Telephone https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00W78HG0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GYTBKAP43WBWVFW2NWWJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Opis 1921 Cable Model C: The Classic Candlestick Retro Telephone Made from Real Wood https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PBRVQWV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_54FSKTT8T1ZGT3A33CXH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

My Mum used to be one of these switchboard operators in the early '40s.....she said some of the conversations were interesting!

1_MfOaLBtqjvchvWlqk6Z6Hw.jpeg.9118ac89b3a166c46e0c82c0bc8598ff.jpeg

My first wife was an operator in the 60s and 70s. On Saturday afternoons there would be several girls on the board and sometime it would get pretty idle. One time a girl happened to find a conversation between a priest and a nun.  During idle moments all the girls would tap into THAT line.

Stumbled on a 1950s era Western Electric cradle phone with a dial, one of those metal slidey address book things and a desk pen.....all for @20.00.

Couldn't pass it up at that price and it is in great shape.  After going over it all with some Pledge it is near perfect.  I have to look it over more carefully because it looks like the dial can be removed and there me a "blind cap" to cover the hole.

32 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Stumbled on a 1950s era Western Electric cradle phone with a dial, one of those metal slidey address book things and a desk pen.....all for @20.00.

Couldn't pass it up at that price and it is in great shape.  After going over it all with some Pledge it is near perfect.  I have to look it over more carefully because it looks like the dial can be removed and there me a "blind cap" to cover the hole.

Peekchure...?  :)

This phone, lamp, and desk have been together for 70+ years now. I had my landline disconnected at least 15 years ago, but keep the phone in my office as a decoration/conversation piece.

Telephone.jpg

I don't have my slidey address thingie in the picture, just a pocket notebook. The slidey thing is around here somewhere though - everybody had one of those metal woodgrain flip open slidey thingies by the phone. :D

Archived