SASS Wire Forum

California Traffic

Subdeacon Joe

Entrepreneurial genius!! :lol:

Where on the 105?  I don't recall railroad tracks that close to the traffic lanes. The taco truck appears to be next to a siding of sorts?

26 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Where on the 105?  I don't recall railroad tracks that close to the traffic lanes. The taco truck appears to be next to a siding of sorts?

On a few portions of the 105 it looks just like that. I used to work on the Green Line Light Rail. 

Fact or Fiction: Taco truck set up on LA freeway?

<quote>

On August 24, 2018 a tanker crash and explosion brought traffic to a halt for hours on the 105 freeway near LAX.

A food truck was among the vehicles stuck in the mess.

So the owner decided to open up and sell tacos and other Mexican food right on the freeway.

He even offered items for half price.

<end quote>

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Fact or Fiction: Taco truck set up on LA freeway?

<quote>

On August 24, 2018 a tanker crash and explosion brought traffic to a halt for hours on the 105 freeway near LAX.

A food truck was among the vehicles stuck in the mess.

So the owner decided to open up and sell tacos and other Mexican food right on the freeway.

He even offered items for half price.

<end quote>

Like I said!!  Entrepreneurial GENIUS!!!  B) :lol:

I got stuck on the 10 Fwy in LA back in 83. It was gridlock. Everything was at a standstill. I got out of my car, opened my hatchback and grabbed a cold beer. A guy in the truck behind me offered a trade of a sandwich for a beer. I got me a sandwich. 2 pretty girls came over with a little veggie tray. Another guy had beer but no ice. I put them on ice and gave him a cold one. In short order we had us a little freeway block party. Kids throwing frisbees, people strolling about. It was actually pretty cool. 
Then about 45 minutes into this a CHP on a bike rolled through telling everyone to get back in their cars. The problem had been cleared up - 2 separate semi accidents pretty much shut everything down. 
It’s definitely the fondest memory I have of being stuck in traffic. 

On 3/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I got stuck on the 10 Fwy in LA back in 83. It was gridlock. Everything was at a standstill. I got out of my car, opened my hatchback and grabbed a cold beer. A guy in the truck behind me offered a trade of a sandwich for a beer. I got me a sandwich. 2 pretty girls came over with a little veggie tray. Another guy had beer but no ice. I put them on ice and gave him a cold one. In short order we had us a little freeway block party. Kids throwing frisbees, people strolling about. It was actually pretty cool. 
Then about 45 minutes into this a CHP on a bike rolled through telling everyone to get back in their cars. The problem had been cleared up - 2 separate semi accidents pretty much shut everything down. 
It’s definitely the fondest memory I have of being stuck in traffic. 

My Mom, Dad, and I had a similar experience with her brother and his family.  Memorial Day Friday, 1974.   Got to their place in Culver City around 1300, had some lunch and chat, finished loading up to go to their cabin in Jawbone Canyon.  

Left about 1500 and it took about 6 hours to get to Hwy 14.   We'd strike up conversations, then one lane would move a little.  You'd catch up with each other again, chat some more.

People were getting out of their vehicles, making sandwiches, swapping food and drinks.  A nice long party on the freeway to start the weekend.

Archived