SASS Wire Forum

West Virginia, Here I Come!

Pat Riot

My wife and I have decided it’s going to be West Virginia for our new state of residence. Somewhere in the Morgantown area or close by. Morgantown sits at the Northern central part of the state. We’ll be near family in PA, but live in Wild Wonderful West Virginia. :D

We came to look at my wife’s Grandmother’s house in PA as a possible place to live, but this house has sat for far took long with no heat for over 10 years and time and weather have not been good to this old house so it’s of the list. 
Now we just have to get things in order to plan our move here in July. 
We have decided to rent a place for a time then buy a home later, within a year of moving here. 

So looking forward to this. :D

That sounds like a good choice Pat, I often dream  about where I would live in the USA, I mean it aint gunna' happen but ya gotta' fantasize.

One of the things that drew me to WV was the house prices, things to see & do & just the look of the state & closeness to others.

Best of luck for your move.

Needs to be a CONGRATULATIONS  button for this thread. :D

You're gonna love it, Pat!

Congratulations Pat. 

Will there be a movie coming out soon? Escape from California starring Pat Riot.

Country Roads

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, growin' like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, Mountain Mama
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrops in my eyes

To the place I belong

I hear her voice, in the mornin' hour she calls me
Radio reminds me of my home far away
Drivin' down the road, I get a feelin'
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

To the place I belong
Take me home, country roads, everybody sing

To the place I belong

Take me home down country roads
Take me home down country roads

My wife and I escaped from southern California almost 23 years ago when we retired and moved to SW Colorado.....LOVE IT HERE!

16 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My wife and I escaped from southern California almost 23 years ago when we retired and moved to SW Colorado.....LOVE IT HERE!

Coming up on eight years in Arizona and can't even imagine living anywhere else.

I won't ever go back to California for a visit because I'd be a felon as soon as I set foot there.

Congrats ! Our daughter left CA 10 months ago, for TN, and has a totally different personality and perspective.  You ever get over to the Shenandoah Valley, let me know. We'll grab a bite and swap 1/2 truths.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

South Western Colorado has my heart!!! I love the fact that I will be moving to the Wiminuche Wilderness/ San Jauns...small community, but near enough to civilization if needed!!!

Screenshot_20211220-214429_Chrome.jpg

43 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

South Western Colorado has my heart!!! I love the fact that I will be moving to the Wiminuche Wilderness/ San Jauns...small community, but near enough to civilization if needed!!!

Screenshot_20211220-214429_Chrome.jpg

Looks like Vallecito Res.

Congrats, you won't want a pickle, you'll just want to ride your motor sickle! Blue Ridge is most pleasant.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

0718201830.jpg

Pat, gotta share photos of your new choices!!! Congrats!

Very nice. We spend some time there almost every year at 5 Rivers RV and do a little fishing. Be prepared for lots of snow in the winters.

2 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Very nice. We spend some time there almost every year at 5 Rivers RV and do a little fishing. Be prepared for lots of snow in the winters.

Yup. Grew up there where 6ft + all winter was the norm!

Well, it aint Tennessee, but I believe you have made a good choice. And it is close enough you could make the Tennessee State Match next year.

Imis

Back in the late 1950's the t.v. show, The Real McCoys, was about a family that moved to California from West Virginia. 

That was then...my, my, how times have changed.

Now, it seems, folks are leaving, and in this case, doing the reverse of the television show....leaving "Californy" for" West Virginy" to semi-quote Amos McCoy. 

So...pack up Luke, Sugar-Babe, Little-Luke, Hassie, Pepino, and head east. 

I was watching a home improvement reality show, the other night. One originated from California, one from Mississippi. Each show featured two homes being renovated. The California one was smaller, on a smaller lot, and was for sale for 1.6 million. The larger home, on a larger lot, in Mississippi, cost $250,000.  I am afraid the cancer of high property values, is a California export that none of the rest of us want, but it is coming...here, anyway. 

This is just one reason, among many, that folks come to the decision to move eastward.

Amazing, or disgusting, or both, depending on how one looks at it.

I am thinking your decision to move will only benefit you on so many levels. May the Lord bless your decision.

Awesome news!

Nothing like living in a state without all the bureaucratic red tape and tone deaf legislators.

Like a weight off your chest.

Enjoy.

Hey Pat, if you ever want to head farther south for a spell, look us up here in Florida.  We've got lots to do and pretty good climate a lot of the year as well.

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Looks like when we get moved we'll be about 6 hours from you 

Isn’t it about that same distance now? :D

My first multi day CASS shoot was at a club ( no longer in existence ) at Berkeley Springs.  That was in the late '80s, early '90s.  Cody Conagher might remember the name.  Plenty of shooting there.

Edited 4 hours ago by Tex Jones, SASS 2263

We are still here. Stop on by  

http://www.wvcass.org/

6 minutes ago, CASS, Singing Hills Ranch said:

My first multi day CASS shoot was at a club ( no longer in existence ) at Berkeley Springs.  That was in the late '80s, early '90s.  Cody Conagher might remember the name.  Plenty of shooting there.

Edited 4 hours ago by Tex Jones, SASS 2263

We are still here. Stop on by  

http://www.wvcass.org/

Well I'll be darned.  Do you remember Nathan Brittles?  Gone for a while now.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:00 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife and I have decided it’s going to be West Virginia for our new state of residence. Somewhere in the Morgantown area or close by. Morgantown sits at the Northern central part of the state. We’ll be near family in PA, but live in Wild Wonderful West Virginia. :D

We came to look at my wife’s Grandmother’s house in PA as a possible place to live, but this house has sat for far took long with no heat for over 10 years and time and weather have not been good to this old house so it’s of the list. 
Now we just have to get things in order to plan our move here in July. 
We have decided to rent a place for a time then buy a home later, within a year of moving here. 

So looking forward to this. :D

It looks like Morgantown is not all that far from the southeast corner of Ohio. Check out Tusco Longriders, we get folks from PA and WVA. They're in Tuscarawas county in Midvale,Ohio (New Philadelphia area)  We shoot the first Saturday of the month and it's a great bunch of folks running it. I may get to shoot with you after all! It's one of the shoots I hardly ever miss!B)

https://check-distance.com/route/morgantown-wv/new-philadelphia-oh

12 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

5 Branches?

It is now closed untill it sells:(

The owners have been trying to sell it for 5 or 6 years. The last time we were there was 2017. Nice place when the lake is full.

Several trivia items: As noted above the CAS club near Berkeley Springs WV (CASS) is still very active and runs the WV state match every September. It's my understanding they are the 2nd oldest CAS club on the East Coast. I've been a member since 2000.

Over the berm there is not a concern there as the backstop consists of the Cacapon Mountain. However, you can be called for breaking the 170 vertically.

"Country Roads" was written by Bill Danoff in 1970; inspiration came while driving up Clopper Road in Gaithersburg, MD. Clopper Road's lovely appearance is unchanged to this day as it surrounded by the Seneca State Park. I lived a mile away from it for 20 years.

Finally, CASS was an early adapter of regular Wild Bunch matches.

It's my home club and is about 30 miles due west from my home as the crow flies; but 54 actual driving miles. The issue is the four mountains between it and home. I have to detour through either MD or VA to get there, otherwise there are some scary roads that seem to have 1/2 of WV's deer population using them regularly.

Finally, WV is a no permit required CC state. It's best to get a permit so you can carry in VA, PA, etc. (HOWEVER NOT MD).  

Archived