SASS Wire Forum

Name Tags at Matches with small print are useless

T-Square

Just wanted to share an observation about name tags / badges at major matches.

The shooter "alias" should be the largest text on the name tag - that's why we have "Name Tags".

That is all.

11 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Guess I'm fortunate to have shot a long time ago. The Badge was enough and you introduced  yourself as necessary. I won't wear a name tag or for that matter, a Mask.

Name badges help the score keeper too.  Your face I can remember forever but names I forget 5 seconds after I’m told.  

2 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Name badges help the score keeper too.  Your face I can remember forever but names I forget 5 seconds after I’m told.  

The badge has a number - quicker to write than a name. As to faces, pretty ladies are easiest for me to remember.

They can ask or I will tell them my name every time up if need be.

I won't wear a name tag or badge.

Tore a couple nice shirts that way. Seems I hit it no matter what part of the shirt I

put it on.

I wear the badges/name tags on my hat!  It’s out of the way, gives the TO and the scorekeeper a little help, often makes introductions easier, and allows folks, that don’t know me, a way to find me at the match, or avoid me when they see me coming!!  :rolleyes: :lol:

Couldn't agree more! As our eyes and memories get older we need all the help we can get.

It's a lot easier to remember the name of the match you're at than 820 aliases!

Having the badges for the CA State made now and the shooter's name is twice as big as anything else.

9 hours ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

Couldn't agree more! As our eyes and memories get older we need all the help we can get....

They say as you get older your memory is the second thing you lose!

I don't remember what the first thing is...

I guess they could go to the large hangtags that are used in marathons  rodeos.

I'm lucky enough to have a wife (Hilda Billie SASS 92974) who can embroider and has put my alias on my scarf so that it shows up and easy to read from quite a distance. I have had a number of score keepers appreciate it.  

Don't like hang tags? How about QR code badges? Load a QR code reader app in the score pad. The shooter has a QR code badge on the back of their hat or gun belt. Point the QR code reader at it and bang, the  shooter information populates the pad.

Rip, one other option besides those mentioned above for your name badge, some years back at a Comancheria Days match the shooter's packets had a leather piece with holes for the badge pin, and a couple magnets on it.  A strong bar magnet went inside the shirt or vest to hold it in place (thanks, Col. Callan for donating them).  I still have mine, though I usually pin the badge to a vest or braces if no vest, or the back of the hat.  If it's on the left side of my torso (right handed), it never gets in the way.  I prefer women to wear them on their hat.  It seems rude to be staring at their chest trying to read it.  Maybe some put it there on purpose. 

26 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Rip, one other option besides those mentioned above for your name badge, some years back at a Comancheria Days match the shooter's packets had a leather piece with holes for the badge pin, and a couple magnets on it.  A strong bar magnet went inside the shirt or vest to hold it in place (thanks, Col. Callan for donating them).  I still have mine, though I usually pin the badge to a vest or braces if no vest, or the back of the hat.  If it's on the left side of my torso (right handed), it never gets in the way.  I prefer women to wear them on their hat.  It seems rude to be staring at their chest trying to read it.  Maybe some put it there on purpose. 

Folks with medical devices might find the bar magnet disagreeable. 

Stan

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'd really like to get a Sheriff or Marshal badge with my name on it :) 

Change your alias to Sheriff or Marshal. You could also go with Brothel Inspector.

image.png.83dab9c5d1e7649ca1bf5c7194e09004.png

The O.P. was about name tag print size. I agree that some name tag fonts can be hard to read, which makes them less helpful.   

But the discussion here has slid to one about propriety of wearing or refusing to wear a name tags. 

Wearing a name is pretty painless and  benign.  It doesn't seem to me  like there is much need for chest pounding refusals to wear one.  The tags are very helpful to T.O.s,  scorekeepers and others around us who forget names too easily and prefer to avoid that embarrassment. Most of our shooters want to get to know each other and the tags are very helpful there.  Many collect and display them to help remember  favorite matches and events and their own attendance history. 

For me, it falls into the "Just do it and move on" category. 

It sounds like others disagree.  That's their privilege.  

Some shooting ranges/clubs/matches have policies making it mandatory for competitors to wear identifying name tags/badges while in active shooting areas, as well as for meals, meetings, and other non-public events.

Different colors have been used to distinguish them from guests and/or conventioneers who may have limited access to event functions.

Outright refusal to display the appropriate identification could result in a competitor's removal from the shooting areas and possible DNFs/MDQ if not resolved.

Since name badges are only at the bigger matches, there are always going to be some people who don't know some other people, so the more readable the badge, the better.

I’ve got no issue with wearing badges except when I’ve :

A. Left it at the hotel 

B. Lost it in the hotel parking lot. Still trying to figure out how that happened 

C. Blaming all of the above on Abe The Crippler and the scotch

Gringo

17 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Some shooting ranges/clubs/matches have policies making it mandatory for competitors to wear identifying name tags/badges while in active shooting areas, as well as for meals, meetings, and other non-public events.

Different colors have been used to distinguish them from guests and/or conventioneers who may have limited access to event functions.

Outright refusal to display the appropriate identification could result in a competitor's removal from the shooting areas and possible DNFs/MDQ if not resolved.

Well, then. that escalated quickly.

17 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Simple enough, fair enough.  Just like the places here in Montana that have No Guns signs.  I just don't patronize them and go elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Simple enough, fair enough.  Just like the places here in Montana that have No Guns signs.  I just don't patronize them and go elsewhere.

Yes, wearing a name badge at a voluntary participation event is EXACTLY the same as patronizing anti gun businesses.

And you know, (whispering), the Democrats put tracking chips and hormones in the name badges that migrate into your bloodstream. 

Which eventually cause you to become a liberal and begin to transition.

You have figured out the secrets to the SASS shooting events and conspiracy.

Make sure you line your cowboy hat with tinfoil so the Lizard people can't read your mind and realize you're on to them.

A real pet peeve of mine!   At EOT last years, saw a number of shooters I know and have shot with but

had not seen them for a year or two ....or three.   It sure would have been nice if their name was

big enough to see.     But it was not to be.   All kinds of other information on the name tag and name

just too small to see.   After all, it is a NAME tag.

I posted a response, mild, and it vanished.  I'll blame that on a new computer I haven't completely figured out.  Since for whatever reason that is gone, I reported a personal insult. I'm interested to see what happens, since the offender obviously supports the "party line". Really irrelevant since I'm not fond of crowds and have no plans to attend big matches.

Archived