SASS Wire Forum

Unusual Stripper Clip

A friend of mine whose father had a large collection and owned a small gun shop for a while showed me this little five round brass stripper loaded with five old .45 ACP rounds. Has anyone ever seen one like this or have an idea what it was used for?  Thanks for any responses.  Seamus

62BB0360-393B-4AE3-8E54-C4E5CE7C16D3.jpeg

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Thanks PW. Not sure why they’d not use a 10 round clip but I believe Ian if he says they used two fives. 
For the rest of you pre-verts the interweb has plenty of what you’re lookin for :)

Seamus

Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm too lazy to do the stairs to the loading room, the 45 ACP and 30-06 share the same base size. I think this is a standard '03 clip with ACP.  Be a clever improvised speed strip for a revolver.

13 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm too lazy to do the stairs to the loading room, the 45 ACP and 30-06 share the same base size. I think this is a standard '03 clip with ACP.  Be a clever improvised speed strip for a revolver.

A couple of folks on the forum PW linked to made similar comments but I am inclined to trust Ian’s statement that the .45 Broomhandles used five round clips. Maybe they were originally used or copied from rifle clips. 

Seamus 

Just now, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

A couple of folks on the forum PW linked to made similar comments but I am inclined to trust Ian’s statement that the .45 Broomhandles used five round clips. Maybe they were originally used or copied from rifle clips. 

Seamus 

Read it and weep https://www.kbtacticalstar.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=199

as a commonwealth collector i must add these are "CHARGERS" , ii also collected US weapons so i get the 'stripper clip' but it still bugs me , it looks like a standard GI clip with pistol rounds inserted to me , 

10 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus 

I own a Broomhandle (in .30 Mauser) and Ian might be wrong this time.  It's the stripper clip that holds the bolt back when loading the Broomhandle, if you take that 5 stripper clip out after pushing the first 5 rounds into the gun, the bolt is going to go forward and chamber a round.  Trying to hold the bolt back with one hand while trying to use the second 5 round clip seems awkward at best and certainly not something I would want to try while being shot at.

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

as a commonwealth collector i must add these are "CHARGERS" , ii also collected US weapons so i get the 'stripper clip' but it still bugs me , it looks like a standard GI clip with pistol rounds inserted to me , 

As to names, variously a charger is a horse, a decorative plate, a device to top off your batteries, an ambitious person, and a speed loader.  I do understand, on my first visit to the UK I thought I spoke English. There was a learning curve for an American.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:24 AM, Chantry said:

I own a Broomhandle (in .30 Mauser) and Ian might be wrong this time.  It's the stripper clip that holds the bolt back when loading the Broomhandle, if you take that 5 stripper clip out after pushing the first 5 rounds into the gun, the bolt is going to go forward and chamber a round.  Trying to hold the bolt back with one hand while trying to use the second 5 round clip seems awkward at best and certainly not something I would want to try while being shot at.

Hi Chantry

Ian’s video specifically addresses this issue. On the Chinese made.45 ACP Broomhandles the bolt is not held by the clip but instead by a notch on the rear of the bolt which locks into the hammer. Pulling back on the hammer releases the bolt to close. He mentions is the reason why they could use two five round clips to load the gun. See his video on Warlord Pistols at about the six minute mark. He also states that he’s never seen

an original five round Chinese clip and that .30-06 and other clips do work. 

Seamus

12 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Hi Chantry

Ian’s video specifically addresses this issue. On the Chinese made.45 ACP Broomhandles the bolt is not held by the clip but instead by a notch on the rear of the bolt which locks into the hammer. Pulling back on the hammer releases the bolt to close. He mentions is the reason why they could use two five round clips to load the gun. See his video on Warlord Pistols at about the six minute mark. He also states that he’s never seen

an original five round Chinese clip and that .30-06 and other clips do work. 

Seamus

Thanks, I didn't realize the Chinese had modified the original Mauser design

Archived