SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter tempted by the (un)holy black

Orient Express

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Orient Express. Remove the cylinder from your NMV and take a small amount of the lube you are using for your bullets and put a very light coat on the inside of the frame. Use this same lube on the base pin. Makes cleanup a little easier.

One thing you will notice after cleaning your pistols is that the black stain on the front of your cylinders will no longer be there.  

Shooting 1 match with BP will also remove the carbon ring that forms in the chamber when you shoot 38 specials in a 357 chamber.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks.

A few years ago I was shooting BP subs in over 60 matches a year. Back then all I shot were 38 specials with a case full of APP and a 125 grain bullet.

In the beginning, I was tearing my Rifle, pistols and shotgun completely down after every weekend.  Quickly discovered that the deep internals of my pistols, rifle and shotgun were collecting almost no BP fowling. 

Soon I was only doing a complete tear down monthly, then every 3 months, then every 6 months. Even at 6 months the deep internals are exceptionally clean.

I have found the same to be true of my firearms in 44 WCF.  I don't shoot 45 Colt but if suspect that due to the excessive blowby that the actions would get dirty a lot faster.

My two go to cleaning solutions are Moose Milk or PAM followed up with lots of hot water and a wipedown with a BP compatible oil.

YMMV

On 3/22/2022 at 7:58 AM, Orient Express said:

I've been given conflicting info, but can I use the same projectiles (hard cast with HiTek coating) that I use for smokeless in my .38 spl when loading BP?

I have bullet customers who use the hi-tek bullets with APP substitute (full disclosure - I sell it in USA) AND real black... I, however, don't recommend using the Hi-Tek with real black - because if I tell you you can and you don't get appropriate results ....:(@Ruff Kut was doing some testing with real black and hi-tek polymer coated bullets... It MAY only mean swabbing the barrel between stages or whatever...

I replied because there's ALWAYS conflicting information with us cowboys... some do and some don't some will some won't.... You may just have to do some testing.

One thing I will tell you about shooting FCGF... it will make you a better shooter.  I am much more careful about "the fundamentals" when I am shooting BP and can get a little sloppy when shooting smokeless.  And... IT IS WAY MORE FUN!!!  Hitting targets you cannot see? Priceless!!:wub:

Have fun and let us know what you decide and how it all worked!

Hugs,

Scarlett

On 3/28/2022 at 12:30 PM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

OE mix beeswax and lanolin 50:50 makes a good lube, just warm it up, mix, then store in jar of sorts if you want, and yes, using Hi Tek coated bullets are fine.

Put your powder in, a card wad on top, scrap some lube in the case on top of wad, seat bullet, squashing lube out a little, store bullet down in boxes.

Works fine for me.

So I guess there's no "load data" as such, just fill the case taking into account a wad, some lube and the projectile compressing it all down a little? I'll be using Wano since it's the easiest to get in Aus.

2 hours ago, Orient Express said:

So I guess there's no "load data" as such, just fill the case taking into account a wad, some lube and the projectile compressing it all down a little? I'll be using Wano since it's the easiest to get in Aus.

Correct.

A quick question about wads for my .38. I see you can buy .38 cal wads in .36" (pistol) and .38" (rifle) diameter. Why is there a need to use two different diameter wads for pistol/rifle? Why can't just one diameter be used?

Archived