SASS Wire Forum

It's called..."Doing the right thing"

I never saw a deer with an atlas. Wonder how they know to use it. 

Humans jaywalk and understand traffic

What about the "Deer Crossing" signs? If the deer could read they'd go somewhere else!:P

AS a former Park Ranger I can attest to the fact that these greenway corridors do in fact save a lot of wildlife. This concept was unheard of when most highways were constructed, but research over the decades has indicated that the practice is sound.

Think of it this way. More deer saved equals more deer to hunt.

2 minutes ago, jack davis said:

I've always wondered weather it was to protect the deer and elk or the cars

Both. Hitting one of them can be fatal to driver and passengers too. Unlike hitting a dog, deer and elk stand tall, and when hit, most of their body is upended back into the windshield.

40 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

AS a former Park Ranger I can attest to the fact that these greenway corridors do in fact save a lot of wildlife. This concept was unheard of when most highways were constructed, but research over the decades has indicated that the practice is sound.

Think of it this way. More deer saved equals more deer to hunt.

And less car deer accidents. The insurance companies in Mi have a intense hatred for the white tailed deer. 

My flying for the Civil Air Patrol often took me to rural airports in the middle of the night. Many of them are just a strip of asphalt or sod, and the only lighting would be one that illuminated the windsock. Crops or tall grass were sometimes at the runway perimeter - maybe 20-30 feet away. The procedure was to "drag" the runway before landing, which is to fly really low with all lights on to drive any critters that might be on the runway back into the weeds. It was always kind of eerie to see those eyes reflecting back by the landing light as I flew by.

Taking off, the procedure was conducted by taxiing slowly along the full length of the runway. One pass down, one back, turn 180 degrees and immediately take off. Still, lots of eyes on me from the perimeter. On one such take off, things were going great until a deer bolted in front of me just as I pulled the nose off the ground. Fortunately I got just enough altitude where I passed over her hind end by only a few feet. Had she started her gallop from the weeds one or two seconds later, things would have gotten really messy!

2 hours ago, jack davis said:

They got some of those in North East Nevada The fences kind Of guide them toward it

Is that the reason that I80 is no longer is paved with rabbit pelts?  In 1971 I drove I80 from CA to Ft. Riley KS.  I have vivid memories of the thousands of rabbit pelts paving the hwy.  About 8 years ago The wife & I drove to Elko to buy a horse and I didn't see one animal smashed into the road.

Caltrans allocated some of the Obama 2009 Porkulus. bill funds to widen VASCO rd in Alameda & CCCo & build critter underpasses to save newts & badgers during mating season.

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wonder what signage looks like to direct the wildlife to the bridge? 

Most likely they are 10' chain link leader fences. 

When I worked in Charlotte on the Light Rail we had several deer hit along the tracks of this particular stretch of tracks. Transportation put up deer crossing signs to remind the train operators to be on the lookout, as if they could stop 200,000 ponds of train to keep from hitting deer. :wacko:

Anyway, this moron from NYC actually asked why we don’t put the signs up elsewhere to make the cross at the grade crossings or somewhere else. 
This guy was as dumb as a brick. 
Anyway, we hatched a plan to make pictographs in “deer-speak” to tell the deer to watch out for the trains. One guy made up these weird elaborate signs and he came up with an excuse that Wayside didn’t have the money to install than and he needed Manny, the moron, to help get the funds from the Transportation Manager. 
To stand in the hall and listen to Manny request funding for the “deer-speak” signs to the Trans. Manager and as luck would have it, the General Manager was absolutely priceless. 
We couldn’t contain ourselves we were laughing so hard. Needlessly to say Manny hilariously made an ass of himself. 

Believe or not, last I heard, that stupid son of a (bleep) is a Director of Operations in Chicago. How fitting. 

wonder how many deer are hit on that stretch of hyway every year - you can build a bridge and plant chit to make them want to go there but they tened to go wherever they please in the end , 

northern MN has crossing signs for them for years but they seldom use them - i see a lot of new dead ones every day 0 but then the crows , eagles , coyotes , and such eat well 

15 hours ago, jack davis said:

Yeah but there's no trees

Based on the shadows, the trees are tall and narrow in profile -- means they're most likely evergreens (e.g., pines).

Using the shadow of the car on the road as a guide, I'd guess the trees on the near side of the overpass to be somewhere around fifty feet tall or so.

Good line of sight in several directions, a chokepoint on a movement corridor = good spot for a tree stand.

On the legal side of it, IIRC most places that have this type of arrangement have game laws that prohibit such shenanigans -- not really sporting.

Archived