SASS Wire Forum

My powder costs

Matthew Duncan

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No, people do this all the time and it makes no sense whatsoever. Figure in the annual salaries and it's about the same!

Throughout the lifetimes of pretty much everyone alive today in the US this has been a true statement, until now.  We're experiencing something none of us have before, and it will likely get worse before it gets better, if it ever gets better.

Economy wide we're in a demand pull inflationary cycle and that's coupled with cost push inflation in specific industries, hello fuel and food!

Once wages get ratcheted up in response to prices we'll have established a new baseline price level, and it won't be anywhere near 2020 levels.

Just the view from my saddle.

This goes back to the ANT and THE GRASSHOPPER what are you.? I chose the ANT I have plenty of money ,food, house is paid have enough powder ,primers and toys to last a lifetime.

It is all about doing what it takes to achieve the goals you have set your sights on.

Be educated ,learn from history and smile

On 3/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, john brown said:

I bought gasoline for .34 cents in 1968 and got green stamps  .:P

Me too. 

For the price of one US dollar, I got 3 gallons of gas and 1 quart of oil (my call used that ratio of gas to oil) and I was set for crusing the Avenue all Saturday night.  Of course, my job only paid dollar an hour.

On 3/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, john brown said:

and they filled the tank.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:38 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

...  We're experiencing something none of us have before,....

I survived the Jimmy Carter presidency double digit inflation. 

28 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I survived the Jimmy Carter presidency double digit inflation. 

I did too, but that was a very different situation, primarily driven by an exogenous shock to the system (oil prices).  Yeah oil prices are higher now too, but we also have a few trillion dollars circulating that we didn't have just a few years ago.  Unless the FED starts selling bonds and setting the money they receive on fire this round of inflation will be continuing for much longer than the peanut farmer's did.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:29 PM, john brown said:

And, the attendant come out and checked my oil, washed my windshield, then took my money with a smile.  Plus, a new glass, plaid stamps or green stamps.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I bought regular leaded gasoline in 1968 for $.23 a gallon and got green stamps and a free 8oz tumbler with a fillup!  Gas was $.19 a gallon when there was a gas war, (there was usually one every three months or so) and it took around $5.00 to fill up my old Falcon!  If I only drove to school and work, I’d have a full tank every three or four weeks just getting “two dollars worth” twice a week!! :lol:

I was making all of $1.30 an hour at the hamburger joint while also working my way through college.  I remember the $0.32 per gallon era.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:52 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m using TiteGroup but I bought a lb of HP 38 for $30.00 about a month ago just in case TiteGroup dries up and I run out. I can use the same recipe for HP 38.

Rye,

Ifn your supply dries up, I happen to have seven pounds of the TiteGroup which I have no plans of ever using.  See ya at Tusco sometime this Summer.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Amoco high test, (premium) was $.27 a gallon when I started driving at the end of 1967!

We only used that good stuff in our farm equipment.  The cars and trucks got whatever was the cheapest.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:29 AM, Dantankerous said:

Not so much. I know quite a few people who's wages have been pretty much flat to frozen for about the last 10 years.

I told my boss last week I am going to need a part time job just to afford gas to get to my full time job. I was only half kidding.

We were talking about much further back than 10 years! My prices for my piano service has not gone up much at all in the last 10 years. They have however increased significantly from 35 years ago!

20 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Rye,

Ifn your supply dries up, I happen to have seven pounds of the TiteGroup which I have no plans of ever using.  See ya at Tusco sometime this Summer.

Thanks, I'll take it! Any estimate on the price??

On 3/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Okay! I was 14 1/2 and I worked for an RV company building “truck caps” after school and on weekends and during the summer. I could, and was allowed to run any and all the shop equipment except the radial arm saw. I learned simple sheet metal skills and wiring and even rough fiberglass repair. Other than mowing lawns, it was my first paying job and I started out making $5.00 an hour.  I worked there until after I graduated high school. My second job was at the old Opryland theme park. I don’t recall what my pay rate was, but it paid better than the RV job which I kept as as second job for another couple of years.

I never worked for minimum wage and with the exception of the Opryland job, I always sought work that expanded my skill set. When I retired a dozen years ago, I was earning UAW level wages in a non union job and even after retirement, I picked up another new skill that made me good money.

All this has also given me an expanded perspective on work and the value of a dollar.  In actuality, I was paying an hour’s wage for a tank of gas in 1967.  Today, it’s harder to judge. I’ve been out of the legitimate workforce for nearly a dozen years.

Had I stayed at my last position of employment, I’ve been told that pay increases have slowed dramatically and so what my pay rate would be is hard to estimate.  I’d guess that I would be paying two hour’s earnings for that tank of gas today.  Gas tanks are bigger and my retirement income is significantly less than it was before retirement.  

All else being equal, the gas is poorer quality and it costs twice as much at least!  A new car costs MUCH more at current income levels. In 1967 the average new car took three years to pay off. Today, it takes six or seven years at current finance rates! My first new car, in 1975, cost less than $4,000.00 !  A comparable vehicle today is over $60,000.00 and has to be special ordered!  So some product prices have kept pace with income levels and others have seen big changes, proportionately.

I agree and disagree at the same time! I bought my first new car in 1967, Olds Cutlass Supreme for $2800.00 out the door. I was making really good money playing in a band 5 nights a week. I was making almost twice as much as my Dad but there's the "insecurity" of playing for a living. I had to get a job here and there when a band broke up or we didn't have work. I would make somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-150 a week. at those jobs. 5 nights a week in a band I was making $250.-$300!!!

Remember minimum wage in 1968 was $1.00 or so. Yes some things have gone way up and over the top but I think it mostly evens out. 

Cheaper back then. Well inflation. Hourly rates blah blah blah. Prices change same as everything. Make smart purchases and save when/where you can. I bought 4lbs of wst at a store going out of business for $8 a lb about 4 years ago. It was all they had left on the shelf. I bought 12k lmpp for $12.50 per 1k. Again it was all they had left on the shelf. The last time I bought bp it was $15 a pound. But I've been making my own and it cost me about $3.75 / pound when buying the raw materials in bulk. I shouldn't need to buy any for a few years but I'm sure even the raw materials will cost more when I do. 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I bought regular leaded gasoline in 1968 for $.23 a gallon and got green stamps and a free 8oz tumbler with a fillup!  Gas was $.19 a gallon when there was a gas war, (there was usually one every three months or so) and it took around $5.00 to fill up my old Falcon!  If I only drove to school and work, I’d have a full tank every three or four weeks just getting “two dollars worth” twice a week!! :lol:

Yeah buddy ! In about 1959 we used to get 3 guys together & jump into my friends Dodge D500 & put in about $2 a piece in Sunoco 260  , head for the Turnpike & troll for races -- Good Times !! That car would give me a woodie !

1959 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer hardtop coupe rear view Chrysler Archives 3

On 3/23/2022 at 5:06 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I did too, but that was a very different situation, primarily driven by an exogenous shock to the system (oil prices).  Yeah oil prices are higher now too, but we also have a few trillion dollars circulating that we didn't have just a few years ago.  Unless the FED starts selling bonds and setting the money they receive on fire this round of inflation will be continuing for much longer than the peanut farmer's did.

Also we were paying for the cost of the Vietnam war.  Typically when you're at war, you have to sacrifice a standard of living at home (the guns or butter economic model).  During the Vietnam war , we didn't do that and so additional money was printed just like 2021

Those gas prices...

Leaded or unleaded?

Archived