SASS Wire Forum

My powder costs

Matthew Duncan

Today.  LGS had no limit on quantity purchased.

H335, $40.80 a pound

Titegroup, $32.64 a pound

September 2020

H335, $26.50 a pound

July 2018

Titegroup, $19.38 a pound

Last Unique I bought was 2.15 a Lb. Bullseye was 3.50 a Lb. still have a few hundred Lbs.  20 yrs ago. I bought out a small GS .

Just bought 8pounds of H335 for 230.00 and 8 pounds of W244 for 219.00. Plus the tax man, of course. Gave 35.00/ lb for W760, limit five. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Here we go... Folks, why compare prices to years ago?

Costs are higher right now...I mean... What good does it do?

Yep. My brother just picked up an 8lb keg of Clays for me at the FL state match for $320. And I’m glad to have it. 

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Here we go... Folks, why compare prices to years ago?

Costs are higher right now...I mean... What good does it do?

Don’t like the OP go start your own thread :D

9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You sure talk a lot of...

True Cowboy... Shoot a lot?

I shoot quite allot , have all my life. Since I was a small boy I have shot. Shoot allot of matches, no sadly on a 30 day rotation and with real life I don't get to shoot allot of matches. 

So is that a requirement to be a Cowboy shooting allot ?

2 hours ago, Dutch Coroner said:

Yep. My brother just picked up an 8lb keg of Clays for me at the FL state match for $320. And I’m glad to have it. 

I guess I got lucky, picked up 8lb keg at Sportsman Warehouse a couple of months ago for $269 and like you said I was glad to get it.

Randy 

26 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

I shoot quite allot , have all my life. Since I was a small boy I have shot. Shoot allot of matches, no sadly on a 30 day rotation and with real life I don't get to shoot allot of matches. 

So is that a requirement to be a Cowboy shooting allot ?

It's "a lot".

;)

And stop acting all innocent.

1 hour ago, john brown said:

I bought gasoline for .34 cents in 1968 and got green stamps  .:P

I bought regular leaded gasoline in 1968 for $.23 a gallon and got green stamps and a free 8oz tumbler with a fillup!  Gas was $.19 a gallon when there was a gas war, (there was usually one every three months or so) and it took around $5.00 to fill up my old Falcon!  If I only drove to school and work, I’d have a full tank every three or four weeks just getting “two dollars worth” twice a week!! :lol:

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's "a lot".

;)

And stop acting all innocent.

Stop being a grammar nazi.

So is it a requirement to be a "Cowboy" or is it not? I would think I would be a better outlaw. 

Innocent, LMAO, I am far from being innocent. Heck most are far from being innocent in life everyone has their skeletons. But that's why I like you Phantom aka... Feller. 

8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I bought regular leaded gasoline in 1968 for $.23 a gallon and got green stamps and a free 8oz tumbler with a fillup!  Gas was $.19 a gallon when there was a gas war, (there was usually one every three months or so) and it took around $5.00 to fill up my old Falcon!  If I only drove to school and work, I’d have a full tank every three or four weeks just getting “two dollars worth” twice a week!! :lol:

Can't remember gas that low. I do remember it about $0.50 a gallon though. Remember that daddy worked at a Deep Rock gas station at one time.

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yep, I remember that in 1970. We had 3 stations at the end of the Hwy exit. The lowest it got was .17, but stayed in the .19 to .23 for a bit. Used to fill my Karman Ghia for under $2 !!!!

Amoco high test, (premium) was $.27 a gallon when I started driving at the end of 1967!

Paid .30 a gallon at the Malco station next to the KFC I worked at.In 1970 I made 85 cents per hour.The $3.00 it took to fill up my 1963 VW Beetle would have bought a lot of other things back then,too.

Just sayin'

Choctaw

last powder i commenly use that i bought was about $199 for two 8lbs kegs , since then i bought two 1lb containers of two different powders i was experimenting with for $30 each , i wont be using a lot of these but i will be using more per load - good thing im not planning on that for high volume loading , 

12 hours ago, john brown said:

I bought gasoline for .34 cents in 1968 and got green stamps  .:P

Me too and they washed my windshield and checked my oil!:P

I’m using TiteGroup but I bought a lb of HP 38 for $30.00 about a month ago just in case TiteGroup dries up and I run out. I can use the same recipe for HP 38.

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yep the days of going on a date and filling the gas tank for $5 is long gone.  Course back then I was making $1.70 and hour too.

6 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yep the days of going on a date and filling the gas tank for $5 is long gone.  Course back then I was mailing $1.70 and hour too.

Exactly when people say how much cheaper stuff was way back when they never include their weekly salaries!:lol:

23 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Exactly when people say how much cheaper stuff was way back when they never include their weekly salaries!:lol:

I think the replies were more tongue in cheek;)

34 minutes ago, john brown said:

I think the replies were more tongue in cheek;)

No, people do this all the time and it makes no sense whatsoever. Figure in the annual salaries and it's about the same!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

...Figure in the annual salaries and it's about the same!

Not so much. I know quite a few people who's wages have been pretty much flat to frozen for about the last 10 years.

I told my boss last week I am going to need a part time job just to afford gas to get to my full time job. I was only half kidding.

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No, people do this all the time and it makes no sense whatsoever. Figure in the annual salaries and it's about the same!

Exactly my point

Best wishes.

9 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Not so much. I know quite a few people who's wages have been pretty much flat to frozen for about the last 10 years.

I told my boss last week I am going to need a part time job just to afford gas to get to my full time job. I was only half kidding.

I work part time gigs to pay for my hobbies. That includes gas.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay! I was 14 1/2 and I worked for an RV company building “truck caps” after school and on weekends and during the summer. I could, and was allowed to run any and all the shop equipment except the radial arm saw. I learned simple sheet metal skills and wiring and even rough fiberglass repair. Other than mowing lawns, it was my first paying job and I started out making $5.00 an hour.  I worked there until after I graduated high school. My second job was at the old Opryland theme park. I don’t recall what my pay rate was, but it paid better than the RV job which I kept as as second job for another couple of years.

I never worked for minimum wage and with the exception of the Opryland job, I always sought work that expanded my skill set. When I retired a dozen years ago, I was earning UAW level wages in a non union job and even after retirement, I picked up another new skill that made me good money.

All this has also given me an expanded perspective on work and the value of a dollar.  In actuality, I was paying an hour’s wage for a tank of gas in 1967.  Today, it’s harder to judge. I’ve been out of the legitimate workforce for nearly a dozen years.

Had I stayed at my last position of employment, I’ve been told that pay increases have slowed dramatically and so what my pay rate would be is hard to estimate.  I’d guess that I would be paying two hour’s earnings for that tank of gas today.  Gas tanks are bigger and my retirement income is significantly less than it was before retirement.  

All else being equal, the gas is poorer quality and it costs twice as much at least!  A new car costs MUCH more at current income levels. In 1967 the average new car took three years to pay off. Today, it takes six or seven years at current finance rates! My first new car, in 1975, cost less than $4,000.00 !  A comparable vehicle today is over $60,000.00 and has to be special ordered!  So some product prices have kept pace with income levels and others have seen big changes, proportionately.

Archived