SASS Wire Forum

SALOON Tip of the Day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1656637902462.thumb.jpg.4e3e0bf5995f82616d53f52d1f878bfb.jpg

Or, if you don't want to waste food, take a (dry) washcloth and do the same thing. Wad it up into a ball and shove it up on the end of the broken bulb.

I've heard of the potato trick, many times, but I've never tried it. Generally don't have a raw potato when I've got a broken light bulb. But I've always got a washcloth somewhere in the house, and it has worked for me multiple times.

Interesting. The water flows uphill, to go up the hollow handle, and does not go out the hook hole in the back / bottom of the handle.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Interesting. The water flows uphill, to go up the hollow handle, and does not go out the hook hole in the back / bottom of the handle.

It does not flow uphill. It fills the basin of the dustpan and escapes out the handle since the lip of the pan is on the back ledge of the sink.

surface tension keeps the stream in contact with thd pan and mostly intact and it's either running under the handle or out the end 

6 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... is that why WWII tanks used to carry those bundles of sticks and/or logs ?  :huh:

Great idea if you don't have a garage.  Pretty sure the logs on tanks were for severe mud extraction.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Great idea if you don't have a garage.  Pretty sure the logs on tanks were for severe mud extraction.

..... you have a problem if there's a storm commin' an' the neighbours kids want their pool noodles back ......   :o

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

corduroy road.jpg

I've heard that. Never tried it, but the explanation as to why makeS sense.

But does it have to be a wooden spoon? Would metal or plastic still work?

Initial thought is, "Well dudDUH, Dummy. Of course metal or plastic would work". But would they really? :wacko:

I was going to make some spaghetti one day and discovered I had run out of salt. So I use garlic salt in the pasta water. That was good.

I continued using garlic salt in the pasta water, until I used up all the garlic salt. But instead of replacing it, I decided that it was just salt with garlic powder in it, and I had both salt and garlic powder, so why buy this extra ingredient? And the next time I made spaghetti I just sprinkled garlic powder in the pasta water.

Then one day it occurred to me that if it improved the pasta that much, what would it do with potatoes? Garlic in the potato water. Oh yeah.

I have not yet tried garlic in my grits water or my oatmeal water. But my pasta water and my potato water and my rice water get garlic powder.

Try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Garlic in grits is good, if you add permasean cheese it's real good.

Smells like feet but tastes great!

I started to count up and list how old I am today, because today is the first time I heard of this.

But I just checked several things that I broke the seals on to use, and none of them have that little icon/idiograph/hydroglyph.

Is that used in this country? I ask because, along with the size being given in metric, the label on neither one of them appears to be written in English.

@Alpo,

Checked a couple of items and found it on one of my shampoo bottles.

Guess it depends on the product and/ or the manufacturer.

20220712_160208.thumb.jpg.5c5795eb8724fc151e33e1eff860b0b4.jpg

20220712_160150.thumb.jpg.5e81cd1f45d3abe5c2b3e9d074a8a986.jpg

On 7/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1656637902462.thumb.jpg.4e3e0bf5995f82616d53f52d1f878bfb.jpg

On 7/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, Alpo said:

Or, if you don't want to waste food, take a (dry) washcloth and do the same thing. Wad it up into a ball and shove it up on the end of the broken bulb.

I've heard of the potato trick, many times, but I've never tried it. Generally don't have a raw potato when I've got a broken light bulb. But I've always got a washcloth somewhere in the house, and it has worked for me multiple times.

Warning!!!

Do not try this on a permanent, fixed in place, light fixture unless you are 100% certain that the power to the fixture is off. Turning off the switch may not turn the power off. Some lights (and other devices) have been found to be wired in such a way that the neutral to the light is the switched conductor. This will make the "tab" at the base of the socket hot 100% of the time. Although it is very uncommon to have this condition, it does exist. Every time I've seen it, it was always in a structure build pre-1962.

Archived