SASS Wire Forum

SALOON Tip of the Day

Udder Cream is  my go to.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

It's gotten more popular for people, was originally for cows udders. Works great for cracked hands in the winter, just a bit greasey so you may want some lite cotton gloves to keep it off your sheets at night. Some drug stores carry it now in little cans. A little goes a long ways . Most farm type stores have it. If you can't find any, PM me and I'll send ya some.

My guess is TSC or Rural King will have it 

Being a wood worker,  sawdust and jointer chips are abundant, so for a fire starter for  the wood stove I take cup cake paper put them in a muffin tray, add wood chips or saw dust into the cup cake paper and pour melted garage sale candle wax over the wood chips until the cup cake paper is full.  Let cool and when it is time to build a fire just light the cup cake paper with a single match and sit back and have a cigar.   

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing works as well as a propane torch for lighting a fire.   

Vicks Vaporub works great on the cuticles, if you can stand the smell. But that smell also repels mosquitoes, gnats, black flies, wasps, ants, ticks, and just about everything else you wish to avoid (even Mother-in-Laws).  But be aware that bears absolutely love the stuff.  (Don't ask how I know). 

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But be aware that bears absolutely love the stuff.  (Don't ask how I know). 

I can understand koalas liking it - it is eucalyptus after all. But black bear? :P

5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Nothing works as well as a propane torch for lighting a fire.   

Vicks Vaporub works great on the cuticles, if you can stand the smell. But that smell also repels mosquitoes, gnats, black flies, wasps, ants, ticks, and just about everything else you wish to avoid (even Mother-in-Laws).  But be aware that bears absolutely love the stuff.  (Don't ask how I know). 

Medical Examiners and Coroners used to put Vicks in their nostrils when dealing with a particularly ripe subject.

If you rub a whole bunch of Vicks on your chest, the fumes will go up into your nose and clear your stuffy head. Or, you could rub a little bit of Vicks on your nostrils, and the fumes will go up into your nose and clear your stuffy head. This will save you a little bit of money, but more importantly, if you became hirsute when going through puberty, you don't have that mess of Vicks and chest hair to try to clean off. B)

If you have a cough put Vicksburg on your feet soles and then socks before you go to bed. Don't know why but it stops coughs

13 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

If you have a cough put Vicksburg on your feet soles and then socks before you go to bed. Don't know why but it stops coughs

And Otto claims another victim!

On 5/4/2022 at 1:04 PM, DeaconKC said:

And Otto claims another victim!

20zqrz.jpg.b1db24475fcee58cad63e27bb4fe3955.jpg

If you can find them ( I have managed to scarf up seven of them), the old Alka-Seltzer tablet bottles are great for transporting raw eggs on camping trips.  My dad taught me this back when the only way you could get Alka-Seltzer was in those bottles.

Take the eggs out of the shell and put them in the bottle one at a time.  Be careful not to break the yolks because they separate each complete egg.  Each bottle will hold four to six eggs.  Put a square of waxed paper over the end and screw the lid on.  (Free extra tip:  Take some extra squares with you.  You'll probably need them.) When you're ready you can pour out a single egg or more and the yolks and whites can be separated perfectly and almost automatically.

The glass is thick enough to be nearly unbreakable, but some zip lock bags may be a prudent addition.

I've also been known to carry salt and butter in the bottles, too, but butter is better carried in a plastic squeeze bottle.  Wrap it in cardboard so you don't butter everything in your pack.

Use your creel to carry things to and from your camp to save on "luggage".  One less box or bag to carry.  I used to carry eggs and butter and salt in mine and hang them in a cloth tie bag from a shady tree branch when we got to camp.  (You can also put the bag in the stream in a shady spot to "refrigerate" the contents.  Make sure you tie it securely to something so it won't float off....and be aware of critters in the area being drawn to it.)   Just make sure to put things in a double zip lock bag to keep from getting everything fishy tasting before you use it.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:35 AM, DocWard said:

Well... Let me think...

It is good for protecting minor scrapes and burns after thorough cleaning, and can help prevent dressings and bandages from sticking while providing a moisture barrier. There are better things, but it does the job.

My cuticles are always a mess, for a variety of reasons. They seem to be worse when I'm working outdoors and camping. A bit of petroleum jelly rubbed in helps them.

Most importantly, I once used it to lubricate and condition the leather gasket seal that pressurizes a Coleman stove when it had dried out, so that coffee could be made the first day of a weekend long paintball game that we were camping at. My friend who owns the stove tells the story of peaking out of his tent at zero dark thirty to see me field stripping his stove so I could put coffee on. Thankfully, the petroleum jelly worked, and nobody died that day.

So, it has life saving potential.

I use it in my homemade mustache wax with approximately equal amounts of beeswax.

Some folks say to put Vicks on your feet when you're sick saying it draws out toxins in your body. No known studies about this, but at least you'll smell the Vicks instead of your feet.

@Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062,

@Rip Snorter is correct.

image.png.03255206339a100a8c01867cd9e35710.pngimage.png.fbe9514764e003d59e69de3badc544ca.png

If it's a glass shelf, what's the point? Easier to wipe glass than a placemats and the glass. I'm just guessing here, not very domestic! But learning since Ellie just broke her collar bone.:(

Archived