SASS Wire Forum

SALOON Tip of the Day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not on my 1884 dining room table thank you very much. :blink:

I wonder if you were to get some powdered chalk, like is used for drawing lines on a baseball field, and circle fire ant hills with it. Would the ants not cross the chalk, and stay in the hill until they starve to death or eat each other in a cannibalistic frenzy? That way I wouldn't have to put poison in my backyard.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

274607984_1640671802951897_2405727443524105918_n.jpg.45fee6ad19e9c50a64d3473f86cbdd55.jpg

I'm a Chronic Myeloid Leukemia survivor and I have to take a medication called Sprycel for life.  I can never eat grapefruit or  drink its juice as it will negate the effect of the drug.  And I used to love the stuff, go figure.

That happened to a lady down the street. I asked the woman what grew on her tree - I couldn't judge the size very well from the street. She said they were ruby red grapefruit, and if I wish to have some I was more than welcome to him. Her mother used to eat them, but now they interfere with her medication.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I wonder if you were to get some powdered chalk, like is used for drawing lines on a baseball field, and circle fire ant hills with it. Would the ants not cross the chalk, and stay in the hill until they starve to death or eat each other in a cannibalistic frenzy? That way I wouldn't have to put poison in my backyard.

A mix of Sugar and Baking Powder is supposed to kill off an ant nest.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

They would dig a hole to a point beyond the chalk and when done raise a middle foot toward the redneck riviera.

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

A mix of Sugar and Baking Powder is supposed to kill off an ant nest.

Dawn soap diluted 1-100 with water works very well.  Ants, bees, wasps are all quickly killed by soap in a weed sprayer.  Forget expensive wasp sprays that run out just about the time the nest full of  wasps gets mad.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

I suspect that there's really only 1 fire ant colony in the US and the mounds just pop up where they want to come out. 

That would explain why they are impossible to get rid of.

A shovel full of hot coals works well on ant mounds. They are full of dried grass. Mine burn down to the water table overnight. Nine feet or so. They're not fire ants but they sure are mean! Black and red, about a quarter inch long. They will light you up.

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I suspect that there's really only 1 fire ant colony in the US and the mounds just pop up where they want to come out. 

That would explain why they are impossible to get rid of.

In fact millions of illegal Mexican fire ants come across the border everyday.

did you ever see the aluminum castings of ant mounds?  Many on YouTube.

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In fact millions of illegal Mexican fire ants come across the border everyday.

No, there's millions of people illegally  entering the US over the Mexican border every year.  Not insects or vermin.  They are people, they are just criminals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

FIRE STARTER IDEAS:

Snip-it_1650298200428.jpg.57f1955a844d6d7c60622712d66a5dfe.jpg

Snip-it_1650298228219.jpg.e284ed95865cf8e61c1fc2fd153c7d4c.jpg

I use cotton balls with petroleum jelly for camping, except I put them in a cardboard half dozen egg container and put in in a large ziploc baggy. Cut a couple off and light. The cotton balls can also be used for chapped lips among other things. Before they're burned, of course.

I use egg cartons, dyer lint and old candles, melted and poured over the lint stuffed in the egg carton.

A couple broken off and stuffed into the kindling will get the camp wood stove going.

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I use egg cartons, dyer lint and old candles, melted and poured over the lint stuffed in the egg carton.

A couple broken off and stuffed into the kindling will get the camp wood stove going.

Another good old trick from Boy Scout days (not dryer lint then, I think).  Though I have plenty of egg cartons available, I have endless pinecones!

On 4/18/2022 at 2:37 PM, DocWard said:

I use cotton balls with petroleum jelly for camping, except I put them in a cardboard half dozen egg container and put in in a large ziploc baggy. Cut a couple off and light. The cotton balls can also be used for chapped lips among other things. Before they're burned, of course.

Tell us the “other things”. ;)

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Tell us the “other things”. ;)

Well... Let me think...

It is good for protecting minor scrapes and burns after thorough cleaning, and can help prevent dressings and bandages from sticking while providing a moisture barrier. There are better things, but it does the job.

My cuticles are always a mess, for a variety of reasons. They seem to be worse when I'm working outdoors and camping. A bit of petroleum jelly rubbed in helps them.

Most importantly, I once used it to lubricate and condition the leather gasket seal that pressurizes a Coleman stove when it had dried out, so that coffee could be made the first day of a weekend long paintball game that we were camping at. My friend who owns the stove tells the story of peaking out of his tent at zero dark thirty to see me field stripping his stove so I could put coffee on. Thankfully, the petroleum jelly worked, and nobody died that day.

So, it has life saving potential.

32 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Well... Let me think...

It is good for protecting minor scrapes and burns after thorough cleaning, and can help prevent dressings and bandages from sticking while providing a moisture barrier. There are better things, but it does the job.

My cuticles are always a mess, for a variety of reasons. They seem to be worse when I'm working outdoors and camping. A bit of petroleum jelly rubbed in helps them.

Most importantly, I once used it to lubricate and condition the leather gasket seal that pressurizes a Coleman stove when it had dried out, so that coffee could be made the first day of a weekend long paintball game that we were camping at. My friend who owns the stove tells the story of peaking out of his tent at zero dark thirty to see me field stripping his stove so I could put coffee on. Thankfully, the petroleum jelly worked, and nobody died that day.

So, it has life saving potential.

Bag Balm may help those cuticles.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:07 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

274607984_1640671802951897_2405727443524105918_n.jpg.45fee6ad19e9c50a64d3473f86cbdd55.jpg

I take a medication called "Spricel" for my CML.  Grapefruit or its juice negates Spricel's effect, so I will never eat or drink grapefruit.  Not that I was ever a fan of it but I did occasionally enjoy it.

22 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Bag Balm may help those cuticles.

I’ve tried a number of things, and a couple work if I remember to use them daily. That’s one I haven’t tried though.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I’ve tried a number of things, and a couple work if I remember to use them daily. That’s one I haven’t tried though.

It's gotten more popular for people, was originally for cows udders. Works great for cracked hands in the winter, just a bit greasey so you may want some lite cotton gloves to keep it off your sheets at night. Some drug stores carry it now in little cans. A little goes a long ways . Most farm type stores have it. If you can't find any, PM me and I'll send ya some.

Archived