SASS Wire Forum

Slam Firing '97

Abilene, SASS # 27489

Being right handed, I found when loading over the top and tilting the gun to the left, I do better not to slam fire. Loading right handed, as Widder does, I can keep the sights pointed at the targets and slam firing works for me.

1 hour ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

.... Hold the trigger down, run the action, 6 rounds out real fast. Wow that was fun.

Rob

Fun, eh?  I have never run BP through a '97, though I've seen a few do it.  But I can tell you, if I ever do, I will at least once stoke it and slam fire six as fast as I can and to hell with the misses. :)

43 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Fun, eh?  I have never run BP through a '97, though I've seen a few do it.  But I can tell you, if I ever do, I will at least once stoke it and slam fire six as fast as I can and to hell with the misses. :)

THAT would be a Smoke Pole!  Never saw it, hard to even imagine.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:12 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wouldn't matter, probably wouldn't see after the second round anyway, have fun.:o

I shot trap with a good friend for several years. He used an Ithaca 37 and was quite proficient at the slam firing technique. I thought heck, that looks easy! I tried, but could never duplicate anywhere near his success. 

when i was in high school i shot a win 1200 , did not slam fire but i could accurately cycle fir to take down three pheasants in what my friends said sounded like auto , those were the days , not had that ability in decades , life is wasted on the youth 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2022 at 11:36 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

...P.S. - I slam fire and find I have a high degree of success when I point LOW on the target as I'm pushing the action closed.

..........Widder

Okay,  AD told me the same thing and said he always slam fires.  So, I've been practicing loading different ways in the bedroom and I'm "slam-firing" the empty dummies, so at the match today I decide to try it with live ammo (while shooting a stage of course).  Six shots, six misses! :blink: (all low misses).  Okay, I guess I need some live fire practice!  I had 1 round left after the match and Whiskey Kid said that Phantom told him to aim at the top right corner when slamming, so I did and got that one.  The journey continues. 

Phantom is an EXCELLENT 97 shooter.   Any advice he can share with you is worth lending an ear and checking it out.

When I say that I point low, its usually at the bottom area of the target..... not the ground.    Sorri, I should have been more detailed.

When you slam fire, do it with an attitude.    Think of those targets like they were a rattlesnake crawling towards you and family members.

You get 1 shot per snake so you better do it with vengeance.

Here's hoping you much success.

..........Widder

Several Lustrum ago, prior to my enlightenment, I actually shot a '97.  Actually always kept three of em around.  I was an uneducated heathen in those days.  Also shot that Fad Heathen Smokeless Stuff (gag).  Tried to get faster by Slam Firing, as I was also chasing the Brass Ring.  No Bueno.  I couldn't hit a Bull Elephant inna Butt from two paces (prolly a good thing too) and some later decided the '97 just wasn't "Cowboy."  Switched to a Hammer Double (Very Cowboy) and never looked back.  Elephants ran like hell too (grin) (snicker) 

The moral of my story:  '97s ain't Cowboy. Smokeless is a Heathen Fad.  Get yourself a swell Hammer Double, some All Brass hulls, some smoky powder and enjoy Maximum FUN!!

Thanks Widder.  I watched your videos and started practicing right hand loading.   I did it today on the one stage where we started with shotgun in hand. I got to do it a lot because that was the stage that took 10 shots to get 4 targets. :)  But my left wrist (and/or forearm?) is not strong enough to pick up the staged port-down shotgun (even with the stock bump you showed) so for staged shotgun I am still doing one in with the right then 3 over the top.  I have practiced some with the first two over the top and second two from the right and when I get a little smoother I'll play "slap the timer" to see which is faster.  When slam firing during dummy practice, it is definitely faster for me than pulling the trigger each time so I need to work on that.

Coffinmaker: Well I do have two TTN's and plenty of brass shells (and real BP, not that heathen APP :) ).  I used to think that '97's weren't cowboy but after I got one for Wild Bunch I found out they are kind of fun, too.  So now I have 4.  When I go shoot an NCOWS match I will take the TTN. 

Abilene,

Arcadia Outlaw is also an EXCELLENT 97 shooter...... fast and accurate.    He may be one of the most consistent 97 shooters

I've seen.

There are a good dozen or so 97 shooters in SASS that are top notch shotgunners, but I don't know who does or does not use

the slam fire technique.

..........Widder

First off, my name probably should never be used in a sentence with Widder when it comes to advise about a 97, but have you considered pulling and loading one round at a time with the right hand and practicing your slam fire without having to juggle 3-4 rounds in your left hand until you get proficient in hitting your targets.  There are some good shooters that can load one at a time with exceptional speed. 

Archived