SASS Wire Forum

New start signal for those hard of hearing

Buckshot Sheridan

I've often thought, and sometimes mentioned, that our start timers would serve us well if they had a soft light that blinked when

the beep was sounded.   YES, I suffer from a hearing deficiency.   My hearing aids do help a little.

..........Widder

There was a guy that would tap people on the shoulder at one club I shot at as the beep went off. Twice he tapped me on the left shoulder as the beep sounded in my right ear. Rather than start shooting I looked to see who tapped me. At first I thought someone was messing with me and proceeded to shoot. The second time I turned to the guy and said “Remember me please. Please don’t tap me on the shoulder when I am getting ready to shoot.”

I did understand that he was being helpful, but one should tell people before tapping them as the beep goes off. 

I am pretty sure someone with a cattle prod at a shooting event zapping people should probably get their affairs in order before using the prod. ;)

35 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've often thought, and sometimes mentioned, that our start timers would serve us well if they had a soft light that blinked when

the beep was sounded.   YES, I suffer from a hearing deficiency.   My hearing aids do help a little.

..........Widder

Actually, wouldn't be hard - think of the Red / Yellow / Green lights you used to see for car racing.  Just one light would do.  I always asked for the tap when getting ready for the stage.  Depending on conditions, wind was bad, I might hear the beep or not,

You must have seen THE post on FB:rolleyes:

Individual ring tones per shooters choice!!!

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I've got to stop bogarting Shanley's phone!!!:P

4 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

... yes, .... that's HIS phone, ....... you have your own .......

........... or use a real computatorer .........

:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Nah, never used F(ake)Book, and the only blue tooth is one of my molars that a dentist barely managed to save.  Considering the age demographic, and the percentage of ex Military and long time shooters with damaged hearing,  a visual signal being added makes a great deal of sense. To whom, and how do I make a formal proposal?

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Nah, never used F(ake)Book, and the only blue tooth is one of my molars that a dentist barely managed to save.  Considering the age demographic, and the percentage of ex Military and long time shooters with damaged hearing,  a visual signal being added makes a great deal of sense. To whom, and how do I make a formal proposal?

To your TG, and they take it up the ladder.^_^

But I believe the 'contact' start will most likely be it.

I believe Garrison Joe puts his hand ON the top of your shoulder, and pulls it off as the beep sounds.

10 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... yes, .... that's HIS phone, ....... you have your own .......

........... or use a real computatorer .........

:rolleyes:

I removed FB from my phone and laptop.

That is why I bogart his!!:wub:

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

To your TG, and they take it up the ladder.^_^

But I believe the 'contact' start will most likely be it.

I believe Garrison Joe puts his hand ON the top of your shoulder, and pulls it off as the beep sounds.

Well , just being back, after many years absent from SASS, I'm pretty much on my own.  If anyone agrees with the concept and has significant contacts or relationships, please pass the idea of a visual signal along.  Thanks!  

40 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I removed FB from my phone and laptop.

That is why I bogart his!!:wub:

......... ^THAT^^^ , my Dear Lady is one the smartest things you have did, ....... right after marrying that man ......   :wub:

16 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The average timer beep is what I hear all the time. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

No b, no p. 

Don't I know all about that! But even tinnitus, at least mine, has a variety of noises and volumes, which is exactly what makes it so difficult. Best I've experienced was a place that used bursts of static instead of beeps for the hearing test.  A light would do the trick.

13 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Widder,

Competition Electronics new Pro BT timer has a strobe light that flashes when the button is pressed.  You can disable if you don’t want it.   This model of timer also sends time and shot spilt info to Android PractiScore tablets. 

Shooter doesn't hear it? -- just press it again or tap them if they ask you to. 

If somebody's concentration is so sensitive and intense, or their memory is so short that a second start affects their game performance, they probably ought to be living in a "safe space" somewhere. 

Stuff happens.   Sometimes folks forget to power up the timer, or it gets dropped, or--------.  

Why shouldn't folks who are hard of hearing  have the opportunity of responding based on their own sensory input with a light device available?  Be willing to bet more are hearing impaired than anyone realizes, including some of the folks themselves.

I can think of many other uses that would be more appropriate in today’s environment. 

One of our shooters, is a former CO of Lord Strathcona's Horse, a Canadian armour Cavalry Regiment. 

He's just a tad deaf from cannon fire. 

We tap his shoulder to start him after he's said his start line, but only him.

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

One of our shooters, is a former CO of Lord Strathcona's Horse, a Canadian armour Cavalry Regiment. 

He's just a tad deaf from cannon fire. 

We tap his shoulder to start him after he's said his start line, but only him.

I'm in the same category after 20 years of artillery service and we do the exact same thing.  It works and we only use that method on the 2 deaf artillery guys.

Removing a hand on the shoulder seems just as good.

Strobe: bad for epilepsy

Color light: color blind

White light: glare/sun interference

Drop flag: mechanism jams, slows down/ cease fire to fix

The list goes on...

Tell the TO how YOU would like to know start time: a tap, a hand lift, a swift kick in the bum:wub:

So delighted that a genuine issue was given serious consideration. And to think I thought ADA was overreach  P.S.,  Anyone who molested / assaulted a woman in my family would enjoy a very brief life changing experience. I would simply applaud  Not funny, McGee .

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

So delighted that a genuine issue was given serious consideration. And to think I thought ADA was overreach  P.S.,  Anyone who molested / assaulted a woman in my family would enjoy a very brief life changing experience. I would simply applaud  Not funny, McGee .

We stay pretty light here on the saloon.

If you want 8 pages of discussion on a subject, the wire is your page;)

No insults were meant.

If you want change...take it up to your TG.

I have no solution other than hand on shoulder.:ph34r:

On 3/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, Buckshot Sheridan said:

It has possibilities. Maybe as an option for a procedural rather than the 10 second penalty, or to makeup missed targets. 

B267FF79-2AD2-4433-A272-2B7DC2712837.jpeg.6958ccb4e7ff515db65310662343a323.jpeg

The Little Yellow Tickle Stick

...... my late fathers' favourite .......... he broke more than one by whacking the obstinate cattle when the batteries ran flat ......   

....... he was a life-long Dairy Farmer and also drove a cattle truck for a time .........   :)

Not sure I'd want the light out in front of my face. The TO for some shooters would have to get it out of the way pretty quick.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Not sure I'd want the light out in front of my face. The TO for some shooters would have to get it out of the way pretty quick.

I'm thinking you mean a light on the timer itself?

That would cause many cases of TO interference! Oiy! 

We stole poor Buckshots 'humerous' thread, and spoiled his fun.

facebook_1647195608268_6908839128541921564.jpg

Archived