SASS Wire Forum

Stock and forend color restrictions?

Worst Case Scenario

Hello all!

I am brand new to SASS (signed up at EOT this month) and am just accumulating my tools and creating my character. Is there a restriction on refinishing my rifle stock and forend in a color other than brown? I don't even know which shooting category I will end up in but thought this might be an easy question to ask and introduce myself. Thanks for all the help!

Rules on stocks and grips listed below from the Shooter's Handbook:

Stocks and Grips - The length or style of stock may be altered or replaced (e.g., a carbine style stock may be interchanged for a rifle stock and vice-versa). - Checkering, carving, or laser engraving is allowed on fore-stocks, buttstocks, and revolver grips. - A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the buttstock of rifles and shotguns. - Butt-plates may be changed to a butt-plate style that was generally available from the original manufacturer. - A piece of leather or similar natural material may be attached to the butt-plate or butt-stock. This includes the “wrist”/grip portion of the buttstock. - Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms. - Revolver grips must conform to the front and rear of the grip frame but may extend beyond the bottom surface. - Contemporary rubber grips, modern target grips, grip tape, and the like are not allowed. - A slide on leather cover to protect the offhand from barrel heat or as a repair is allowed on side by side, lever action, and single shot shotguns. - Leather on the grip surface of the fore end of a pump shotgun or any rifle is not allowed. - A leather lace-on or snap on “heat shield” wrap around the barrel and magazine tube of the 1860 Henry rifle is allowed.

I don't see anything regulating color.  I remember vividly a very good woman shooter, years ago, who had a thing for "hot pink".  She had the grips of her NM Vaqueros spray painted pink.  

Didn't realize that about checkering, carving, or laser engraving. One would think that would be allowed, but being brand new I wasn't sure.

Never mind had a stupid sometimer moment and misread the rule.

:o:D

32 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Stocks and Grips - The length or style of stock may be altered or replaced (e.g., a carbine style stock may be interchanged for a rifle stock and vice-versa). - Checkering, carving, or laser engraving is allowed on fore-stocks, buttstocks, and revolver grips. - A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the buttstock of rifles and shotguns. - Butt-plates may be changed to a butt-plate style that was generally available from the original manufacturer. - A piece of leather or similar natural material may be attached to the butt-plate or butt-stock. This includes the “wrist”/grip portion of the buttstock. - Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms. - Revolver grips must conform to the front and rear of the grip frame but may extend beyond the bottom surface. - Contemporary rubber grips, modern target grips, grip tape, and the like are not allowed. - A slide on leather cover to protect the offhand from barrel heat or as a repair is allowed on side by side, lever action, and single shot shotguns. - Leather on the grip surface of the fore end of a pump shotgun or any rifle is not allowed. - A leather lace-on or snap on “heat shield” wrap around the barrel and magazine tube of the 1860 Henry rifle is allowed.

I don't see anything regulating color.  I remember vividly a very good woman shooter, years ago, who had a thing for "hot pink".  She had the grips of her NM Vaqueros spray painted pink.  

Are you thinking of Silver Heart???

52 minutes ago, Worst Case Scenario said:

Hello all!

I am brand new to SASS (signed up at EOT this month) and am just accumulating my tools and creating my character. Is there a restriction on refinishing my rifle stock and forend in a color other than brown? I don't even know which shooting category I will end up in but thought this might be an easy question to ask and introduce myself. Thanks for all the help!

I've seen only a few  "different color" rifle stocks, but boy howdy are there a lot of blingy pistol grips out there.  So yeah, it's okay. :)

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Welcome, by the way!...

How rude of me, I should have welcomed you, too, WCS (I hope you don't try to live up/down to your alias :D ).

13 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Didn't realize that about checkering, carving, or laser engraving. One would think that would be allowed, but being brand new I wasn't sure.

It IS allowed.  How did you understand that it is not?

image.png.2bd1d797ca497c738fba84936e73d82a.png

2 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

It IS allowed.  How did you understand that it is not?

image.png.2bd1d797ca497c738fba84936e73d82a.png

Sorry about that . Misread it , and guess it was a sometimer moment. Ya know sometimes I get it right , sometimes I don't.:unsure:

2 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I'm thinking you mean Silver Heart.

4 hours ago, Worst Case Scenario said:

Hello all!

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Randy 

Years ago a shooter, I think it was  gunzilla wanted to compete with red white and blue  stocks on his guns. I believe he had to petition sass to allow them and they approved the modification. Depending on what you want you may have to go down the same path,  pistol grips do not have the same restrictions. 

Rafe 

Everything "Gunzilla" wore or shot with was "out of the SASS world"!!!  I remember seeing him at EOT 2004, the last California EOT, and thought, "now that guy is really having fun".   

welcome , as asked above - what are you thinking to do for "color" ? ive seen some off colors over the years but nothing real tactical like or zombie like yet , i suspect that might get some comments or sidelong glances , most of us are fairly traditional save for the steampunk crown and ive never had an issue with theirs [not that my having an issue would ever mean anything ] 

Nothing too out there I just prefer black wood, very much like Alchemist Belle posted above! I just haven't been to enough events yet to learn. With my recent acquisitions, you can bet I'll be at my local club gatherings to learn and practice soon. 

Hope for the best...but prepare for the "Worst Case Scenario!" :)

I remember growing up in the Galveston area there was a Gun/pawn shop that had a rabbit ear double in the store window that was solid white with pink roses all over it(metal and wood).  The sign under it was labeled “For Shotgun Weddings Only”.   

I always thought that SASS shooters with a preacher alias are missing a great opportunity with this idea.  

27 minutes ago, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

I remember growing up in the Galveston area there was a Gun/pawn shop that had a rabbit ear double in the store window that was solid white with pink roses all over it(metal and wood).  The sign under it was labeled “For Shotgun Weddings Only”.   

I always thought that SASS shooters with a preacher alias are missing a great opportunity with this idea.  

You just gave me an idea!

PURPLE with black music notes!!!! Hmmmmmm.....

Archived