SASS Wire Forum

The Power of Legend

Rip Snorter

Had to go to Billings.  A CZ sent back for review or repair, emergency meds for one of the dogs ran out, and both my computer and printer are going South.  Spent a lot of money.  Went to a nice restaurant for a great, but also expensive "Dunch".  I always dress Western from a made to order Ten X at the top to good boots at the bottom.  When I go to the city it is Saturday Night stuff.  If I hung the guns on, I could shoot in one category or another. We were leaving the Restaurant, crossing a one way four lane with red lights in our favor at both ends.  We were in the middle of the street and a guy pulled off the curb at high speed and headed straight at us.  Don't know where it came from, maybe LEO days long ago, pivoted my upper body toward him, swept the coat away and reached behind my right hip,  Dam', he stopped pretty quick. Joke is, it is a warm restaurant, and my pistol was locked in the car so I could take off my coat without offending the timid and the hoplophobes..  Always felt there were advantages to Cowboy attire.

2 minutes ago, watab kid said:

sounds a little like it made you a target to start with , glad your both OK 

Nah, not in Montana,  it usually wouldn't end well for the driver,  Most likely just a careless idiot.  Thanks for the good wishes!

38 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

my pistol was locked in the car so I could take off my coat without offending the timid and the hoplophobes.. 

I carry open and simply don't worry about what the antis say. For the record, in 30 years of open carry, I have had only 2 people say that they didn't like it. However, nearly every day, I have somebody or 3 compliment me on it.

29 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I carry open and simply don't worry about what the antis say. For the record, in 30 years of open carry, I have had only 2 people say that they didn't like it. However, nearly every day, I have somebody or 3 compliment me on it.

SGT Sabre, I was in Tucson for a while sometime around 2014-2015.  While I was there, I noticed a lot of people open carrying semi-autos with the slide locked back.  What is that all about?

We have darn near every kind of lawful carry here, and in almost any place.  I choose to carry concealed for the same reason I don't wear tactical clothes or a kick me sign, or worse, a shoot me first sign.  No one can live their life in Orange.  I certainly can't and am more than average alert.  Just my method.  As to offending, if I do not wish to be offended, I can only try to avoid giving offense. Think J.B.Books

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Glad everything turned out all right. 

Thank you! Said I didn't have a gun, didn't say I was unarmed, and that on top of 60 years of Martial Arts as a couple.  Never know how stuff will turn out, likely would have been an old couple having fun.  Can't recall if there were two in the car, but they were outnumbered.

13 minutes ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

SGT Sabre, I was in Tucson for a while sometime around 2014-2015.  While I was there, I noticed a lot of people open carrying semi-autos with the slide locked back.  What is that all about?

I'm not sure. I can't say that I've seen that, except at a gun show. What part of town were you in?

16 hours ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

I was all over.  I was there for a total of about 4 months during that timeframe.  I might have seen it at a gun show, I was there long enough to go to a couple of them.

Not sure about out there, but the gun shows I’ve been to here, the guns are checked, slide locked, zip ties applied, and cased. No hip carry that I’ve seen. But things change, and I quit going to gun shows several years ago. Between, gas, parking, entry fee and constantly not finding anything reasonable. It just became a big hole. I know at least four FFL that do the gun shows. They openly admitted that prices would be higher because of their cost to be there 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:31 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Had to go to Billings.  A CZ sent back for review or repair, emergency meds for one of the dogs ran out, and both my computer and printer are going South.  Spent a lot of money.  Went to a nice restaurant for a great, but also expensive "Dunch".  I always dress Western from a made to order Ten X at the top to good boots at the bottom.  When I go to the city it is Saturday Night stuff.  If I hung the guns on, I could shoot in one category or another. We were leaving the Restaurant, crossing a one way four lane with red lights in our favor at both ends.  We were in the middle of the street and a guy pulled off the curb at high speed and headed straight at us.  Don't know where it came from, maybe LEO days long ago, pivoted my upper body toward him, swept the coat away and reached behind my right hip,  Dam', he stopped pretty quick. Joke is, it is a warm restaurant, and my pistol was locked in the car so I could take off my coat without offending the timid and the hoplophobes..  Always felt there were advantages to Cowboy attire.

The other sides version:

I was in Billings for supper the other night. After dinner, I was pulling away from the curb when this wild eyed cowboy jumped out into the middle of the road. He was dressed all in black with lots of fancy studs on his belt. He drew down on me with a silver plated pistol. Just as he was about to shoot me I hung a quick left down a side street and beat feet out of there.

You know they shouldn’t let those crazy Cowboys in the good part of town. They get one or two beers in them and they are ready to shoot anything that moves. I was lucky to escape with my life. This is why no one should own a gun.

CJ

21 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

The other sides version:

I was in Billings for supper the other night. After dinner, I was pulling away from the curb when this wild eyed cowboy jumped out into the middle of the road. He was dressed all in black with lots of fancy studs on his belt. He drew down on me with a silver plated pistol. Just as he was about to shoot me I hung a quick left down a side street and beat feet out of there.

You know they shouldn’t let those crazy Cowboys in the good part of town. They get one or two beers in them and they are ready to shoot anything that moves. I was lucky to escape with my life. This is why no one should own a gun.

CJ

Nope, not even close, 'course I was there.  Just an old guy with a gray haired darlin' on his arm.  As to the Silver Plated pistol, I only use that when I wear the silver nose.;)  No turn was possible, ex. into the front of buildings.  That would have been a sight.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Nope, not even close, 'course I was there.  Just an old guy with a gray haired darlin' on his arm.  As to the Silver Plated pistol, I only use that when I wear the silver nose.;)  No turn was possible, ex. into the front of buildings.  That would have been a sight.

Yep, but the “Other Side” can’t admit to being scared of an old man. :lol:

CJ

Archived