SASS Wire Forum

Battle of the Bulge

Cutthroat Cody

maybe ya all have an idea or two about what may cause this. I'm loading with a Dillon 650 and using starlite brass (not new). I've opened more than one to check what's inside.....(like it may have swallowed a whole donut or something). The ones I tore apart.....nothing but what I put in (powder).

when you have to shoot shoot, don't talk.

20220312_080916.jpg

20220312_081037.jpg

Size cases down to the rim.  If case/shellholder IS going all the way into the die, so as to contact the sizer die bottom, then check the die you are using.  Could have lost the carbide sizing ring.   Could be otherwise damaged.

Tell us what die and what loader you are using.   If cases are fired in some other firearm or are range brass, you may have to put a lot of extra force on this batch of brass - as it looks like it swelled at lot close to the base, since it won't fit in that Dillon loaded ammo check gauge.

good luck, GJ

Well, .38 special is a straight wall case.  If the crimp and neck of loaded round slide into the die, then the crimp and neck is not too large a diameter.  What does NOT enter that check gauge is where the problem lies.

If the rounds chamber in your guns, though, you have very little to worry about - just cosmetics.

GJ

I'm not sure if the lower round pictured is supposed to be okay or not, but the upper one does indeed appear to have problems.  Looks to me like an excessive crimp may be most of the problem and it's also bulging and/or crushing the case.  Back out the crimp die and start over on the setting, might be a good idea to remove it and clean out any lube or other debris as well.  Good luck!

On 3/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look hard at a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

OLG 

You don't have to use them, just look at them. 

They're PURTY! :D:D:D

You may even call them "Unique!"  :D

Have been fighting the "Battle of the Bulge" for absolutely ever.  I cannot, however, turn away from a Cheese Burger and Fries.  Nor a good Glazed Donut.  Or a Glazed Donut with Frosting.  I've lost the battle.

Archived