SASS Wire Forum

Different Length Pistols?!

John Ray Davis

Looking at moving from two nice Uberti pistols (both .45LC, 5.5" barrels) to Ruger Vaqueros. No knock against the Ubertis. They're great, but the Rugers are a little more great. You know.

Local shop has two blued Vaqueros. One is 5.5" (aesthetically the best length). One is 4.62". The price is good.

Aside from the fact that they won't match! is there any practical difference? Will I really notice the different lengths during my typical coffee break length stage?

Thanks!

Doubt you will notice the 3/4" difference on the barrels. I plan on trying out 2 -1858's, 1-5.5", and 1-8". Even the actions are slightly different feeling but they are close. Actually like the feel of their actions to my NMV's.

Some actually may prefer two different length barrels, according to their shooting style. For example, a shooter with a crossdraw holster may have the the longer barrel on the crossdraw side as they might find it easier to draw that way. Everyone is different. Good luck!

i started out that way and still have a set that way , i also have matched pairs in both lengths , given im not a fast shooter - i dont notice the different lengths , my grip scales match in all my sets and only that original is a mismatch of finish as well as length , dont notice that either , 

When I shoot, for example, .45's, I randomly choose 2 of these....

233933317_45SAA.thumb.JPG.f855d2d0b7b95dfd16b52f9c8993239e.JPG

I usually don't worry about barrel length matching as the top left get's used 99% of the time.

And this also assumes that I shoot a pair of SAA's   Sometimes I'll pair one of the above with a Remington or a C&B conversion or even a Smith & Wesson.    I just have fun.  :)

As for shooting them, you won't notice it in the general run of targets we shoot at.

If you were shooting at charcoal briquets at 25 yds you might want a longer barreled pistol for that.

I use a 7 1/2 inch and a 4 3/4 inch pair of Colts, one in a cross draw, because I like them.

I do have two shorter ones when I want to wear a two gun rig that way though.

SC

IMG_4290-1.jpg

IMG_4288-1.jpg

I was a couple of years into the game before I even had two revolvers that looked the same. I eventually bought a pair of Ruger SASS 357s. I have to say, having two exactly the same is a bit of a plus, feel and muscle memory identical. But I find that a bit boring, and usually go miss matched, oft times not even the same caliber. 

I do however only mix a 38/357 with one 44/45. I have 44-40, 44 Mag and 45 Colt. And of those I only bring one 44/45 caliber to a match. I do not want to have a ammo mix up. This allows me to try a caliber without buying a pair. 

I shoot double duelist so muscle memory is messed up anyway. Left is my off hand and I didn't start shooting with my left hand until i was 70. Therefore I have one 38/357 that I reserve for my off hand. I find that a bit longer barrel is easier to holster in the LH holster. 

Rooster Cogburn in True Grit had a few different firearms. A SAA on his belt and a pair of Navy Sixes for back-up. These vary between the movies and the book, but they were not the same, or matched, except for the pair of Dragoons or Navy Sixes. 

Barrel length, calibre or brand are personal choice, but there are some dimensions i like to see match in same calibre handguns. In like calibre guns I prefer that the throats, and the groove diameter match each other fairly closely. This makes life a whole lot easier when it comes to sizing the bullets and finding a load that doesn't lead. 

If I were buying a pair of mismatched Rugers like you describe, I'd take my vernier calipers along and measure the throats, and measure the groove diameter of the barrels. Technically speaking this isn't the correct way to measure these, but, IMHO, it is close enough if you measure carefully. 

I have 2 1873 rifles and a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Long Colt. They all take 451 bullets, and I like that. 

I had so many challenges with 38/357, that when I bought my Blackhawk, I measured before I bought. I'm never sorry I did. 

I've also passed on used if the dimensions were not a match for what I had. 

In the 19th century west, cowboys had eclectic combos, depending on what was available to buy, or steal. Except for the steal part, i'm the same.

BB

I’ve been considering a real mismatch just to run one of mine for a match. I normally run 7 1/2” but recently picked up a 3 1/2 birds head. If I do that I’ll go back to FCD for the match rather than my normal FCG. 

Using a Buntline version last has advantages. Any knockdown targets can just be hit with the barrel tip.

If you don't care about the competition aspect of the game, barrel length variation doesn't matter.

If you want to be competitive then it does.

And we all know what different barrel lengths look like so I'll skip showing pictures...:mellow:

I have done the two different barrel lengths.  The 3 3/4 length Ruger Montado was worn in a right hand cross draw position and the 4 4/8 Vaquero was worn on the right hip.  Both were .45 Colt.   At CAS distances I could not tell the difference.  Do what works for you, isn't it all about having fun?   

Archived