SASS Wire Forum

Moving before the Beep

Wicker Nash

Recently there as a long thread about shooting before the beep.  That was  a P, assuming no misses, etc..    

What is the call if a competitor starts moving from the starting position before the beep?  For example,  holding an object, dropping the object, moving hands to gun(s) before the beep. 

Two cases:  a one time thing or someone who consistently starts moving too early. 

If done repeatedly, it would be a classic definition of "disregarding the stage instructions in order to obtain a competitive advantage" / Spirit of the Game penalty.

RO3 (Common Sense) - Warn, the first time and re-start.  The second time, SOG.

F.S.

1 hour ago, Wicker Nash said:

Recently there as a long thread about shooting before the beep.  That was  a P, assuming no misses, etc..    

What is the call if a competitor starts moving from the starting position before the beep?  For example,  holding an object, dropping the object, moving hands to gun(s) before the beep. 

Two cases:  a one time thing or someone who consistently starts moving too early. 

If they start going before the beep just don't start the timer. Once they have finished the stage ask them if they'd like to do it again for a time?

Randy

3 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

If they start going before the beep just don't start the timer. Once they have finished the stage ask them if they'd like to do it again for a time?

Randy

If they false start the second time....boola, boola.

SHB pg 20

Restarts shall be allowed for a competitor to achieve a “clean” start, before the first round goes down range. Multiple restarts by the same shooter, that in the judgment of the TO are seen to be “taking advantage,” will not be entertained as they are not in the Spirit of the Game.  

20 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Restart... That's it.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

On 3/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

Randy: I'm wonder if they might consider that useful as they had a free warmup as to the stage?

26 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Randy: I'm wonder if they might consider that useful as they had a free warmup as to the stage?

Was thinking the same thing, but elected to keep my yap shut... until now.

Makes for a long day if everyone gets to shoot a warmup run then shoot for time.

19 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Beep? What beep?  I always had to have the RO slap my shoulder!:lol:

Unbeknownst to you they've been hitting the start button 3 seconds before the tap :)

4 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Although it sometimes may, the more common thing is having a slower time and increased chances of screwing up. 

Especially after you just embarrassed yourself the first time.

1 hour ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Unbeknownst to you they've been hitting the start button 3 seconds before the tap :)

Wouldn't care, and it wouldn't matter.  Into the fun, not the game. I shoot all sorts of strange stuff, rounds and firearms but only if I'd carry it for real.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Although it sometimes may, the more common thing is having a slower time and increased chances of screwing up. 

Especially after you just embarrassed yourself the first time.

Well you couldn't have a slower time because it was untimed.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Wouldn't care, and it wouldn't matter.  Into the fun, not the game. I shoot all sorts of strange stuff, rounds and firearms but only if I'd carry it for real.

Ah come on that was funny :(

17 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Unbeknownst to you they've been hitting the start button 3 seconds before the tap

I’m still cleaning the coffee off my iPad :lol:

Years ago at a major match there was a shooter who would try to jump the timer's beep, he would have restarts. I took the timer when he came up to shoot and I asked him if he knew the coarse of fire for the stage. Shooter keeps hands on hat until the beep."Shooter ready stand" hands leaves his hat. Start him a second time same thing. So I informed him I will start the stage at the beep and if he starts before the beep I will add 30 seconds to his time. Amazing he was good for the rest of the match!!

Nawlins

Archived