SASS Wire Forum

Opinion on knife for CAS

Buckshot Bear

Better off letting the wife pick out her own costume items.......  -_-    just whistlin'   You can stand by with the buying card.

Visible fixed blade knives probably will never be challenged since there is no pass/failure criteria in the rules.  Have heard of pocket knives being disallowed by match officials for Classic category, even though the handbook rules don't support that.  For one, not visible and thus apparently not a costume part.  So, keep it visible.

good luck, GJ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to add one thing.  The knife pictured in the OP claims to be an 8" blade.  I seriously doubt that to be accurate.  The blades looks to be the same length as the handle, which would be perfect for a 4" blade (making the whole thing 8", and potentially very comfortable to wear and hold).  If that blade is actually 8" than that is one rather large handle, and do not buy it.

Does she like surprises?  Or maybe, take her to the shop (real or virtual), and let her pick out the one she likes... 

17 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There's a story that goes with that knife.   

My father knew a guy who had one.   Said it was issued to him when he was in the Navy in WWII for use in the line of duty.  Can't remember if he was a frogman or what, but that's not the point.

Anyway. my Dad wrote to Case and asked about the knife, and they replied saying, "We don't know what you're talking about.  Go away and leave us alone."  So Dad took some photos of said knife, (This was in the early 70's) being sure to get a clear shot of the Case logo, and sent them to Case.   Case showed up at the veteran's shop, and after looking at it, offered him an obscene amount of money to buy it.   He turned them down.   But he did let them "rent" it for a reasonable sum as long as they promised to give it back undamaged.   Anyway, this they did, and started making the knife again.   Dad got this one in the mail.  For free!  If you look on the Case website, you see a very similar knife, but without the brass guard or blood grooves.   I wrote them today to ask about a replacement sheath since the original is so worn out.   I wonder if history is about to repeat itself...

IIRC, the Navy issued those as a survival knife during WW II. I received one of the new ones as a Christmas gift in the early 1970s.

17 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There's a story that goes with that knife.   

My father knew a guy who had one.   Said it was issued to him when he was in the Navy in WWII for use in the line of duty.  Can't remember if he was a frogman or what, but that's not the point.

Anyway. my Dad wrote to Case and asked about the knife, and they replied saying, "We don't know what you're talking about.  Go away and leave us alone."  So Dad took some photos of said knife, (This was in the early 70's) being sure to get a clear shot of the Case logo, and sent them to Case.   Case showed up at the veteran's shop, and after looking at it, offered him an obscene amount of money to buy it.   He turned them down.   But he did let them "rent" it for a reasonable sum as long as they promised to give it back undamaged.   Anyway, this they did, and started making the knife again.   Dad got this one in the mail.  For free!  If you look on the Case website, you see a very similar knife, but without the brass guard or blood grooves.   I wrote them today to ask about a replacement sheath since the original is so worn out.   I wonder if history is about to repeat itself...

IIRC, the Navy issued those as a survival knife during WW II. I received one of the new ones as a Christmas gift in the early 1970s.

13 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I would be surprised to find out that the Navy issued a large Case Bowie knife with a picture of Bowie (or is it Daniel Boone) on it as a survival knife.  I know military intelligence is an oxymoron, but that's going a bit far even for me.

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would be surprised to find out that the Navy issued a large Case Bowie knife with a picture of Bowie on it as a survival knife.  I know military intelligence is an oxymoron, but that's going a bit far even for me.

Well, I'm pretty sure the image of Bowie was a modern addition to the historical design. 

47 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would be surprised to find out that the Navy issued a large Case Bowie knife with a picture of Bowie (or is it Daniel Boone) on it as a survival knife.  I know military intelligence is an oxymoron, but that's going a bit far even for me.

Per Cole's book Military Fighting Knives III, the Case XX #2 was issued as a Survival Knife. To your point, it did not have the engraving or the brass blade catcher along the back of the blade, but the knife depicted is otherwise true to pattern.  Knives in an identical form were made by Collins, Kinfolks and Western.

3 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Per Cole's book Military Fighting Knives III, the Case XX #2 was issued as a Survival Knife. To your point, it did not have the engraving or the brass blade catcher along the back of the blade, but the knife depicted is otherwise true to pattern.  Knives in an identical form were made by Collins, Kingfolks and Western.

See the post above yours.

22 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

WW II Case Utility/Fighting knife. image.png.ab2b87e9486d78212392eec29e307e81.png

This was also called the 225Q Quartermaster the blade was stout enough to be used to pry open cases, the steel butt heavy enough to hammer them closed.  Have one, an excellent all around knife.  Interesting to me is that every example I have seen has (if original) a left handed sheath.

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

This was also called the 225Q Quartermaster the blade was stout enough to be used to pry open cases, the steel butt heavy enough to hammer them closed.  Have one, an excellent all around knife.

If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with the 225Q, not the Bowie.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with the 225Q, not the Bowie.

Absolutely!  With the possible exception of actual knife fighting.  The 225Q  is a superb all around utility knife, and virtually unbreakable. Tho it constitutes abuse, it throws extremely well.  I bought my first in a junk shop for a quarter 1n 1962.  If you find a good one now, usually $45 or $50.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Interesting to me is that every example I have seen has (if original) a left handed sheath.

The 1911 and holster goes on the right side of a sailor's web belt.   Knife on left.

good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The 1911 and holster goes on the right side of a sailor's web belt.   Knife on left.

good luck, GJ

Pretty sure that was the case, just no source material.  I try to share more fact than speculation.  Thanks!

19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Better off letting the wife pick out her own costume items.......  -_-    just whistlin'   You can stand by with the buying card.

Boy is that the truth!  I had purchased all my wife's guns prior to her shooting.  After one practice session, she confiscated my 73, my Ruger Blackhawks, and my D model 97.  I still own the NM Ruger Vaqueros I bought for her, but the Marlin and double barrel I bought for her are long gone.  After that, I wasn't brave enough to interfere with her choice of clothing or other kit.

45 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Boy is that the truth!  I had purchased all my wife's guns prior to her shooting.  After one practice session, she confiscated my 73, my Ruger Blackhawks, and my D model 97.  I still own the NM Ruger Vaqueros I bought for her, but the Marlin and double barrel I bought for her are long gone.  After that, I wasn't brave enough to interfere with her choice of clothing or other kit.

I would take that as a positive thing - license to buy replacements!  When first married, I bought the Wife a nice Lama .22, kind of a miniature 1911.  After a couple of trips to the range she confiscated my K 22.  Onward and upward!

i had a USN mk2 KABAR Oneida Cutlery in a gray VPco scabbard and a USN mk1 PAL in a gray VPco scabbard mk1 scabbard , both were WWII vintage , neither of these are handed- they are ambidextrous like a bayonet scabbard , but the one Kabar i had that was in leather was a left handed sheath , 

both came from my 'commander' FIL [not a WWII era] submariner , he used them in his camping gear as they were 'old' , i did the research on them , gave him newer knives he liked better to replace them ,  

Whyaver you decide please purchase from one of the sass sponsors 

like Tucker T Fudpucker 

4 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i had a USN mk2 KABAR Oneida Cutlery in a gray VPco scabbard and a USN mk1 PAL in a gray VPco scabbard mk1 scabbard , both were WWII vintage , neither of these are handed- they are ambidextrous like a bayonet scabbard , but the one Kabar i had that was in leather was a left handed sheath , 

both came from my 'commander' FIL [not a WWII era] submariner , he used them in his camping gear as they were 'old' , i did the research on them , gave him newer knives he liked better to replace them ,  

Still have the identical Kabar - the oldest knife or one of the oldest in my small collection, got it in JR HS  Excellent knife.  Out with the dogs, photo tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Still have the identical Kabar - the oldest knife or one of the oldest in my small collection, got it in JR HS  Excellent knife.  Out with the dogs, photo tomorrow!

guess ill have to see if i still have my photos too , 

i found the mk2 it is in its scabbard tho , i cant find the mk1 , ive not been in these old collection photos in a long time , i miss that winchester M1 garand and the national postal meter M1 carbine that are flanking it , thats an M3 next to it 

072.JPG

mikesphotos-3015_zps5646e4c3.jpg

Without having read all the previous posts...

The most realistic "cowboy" knife was probably a small folding knife he kept stuffed in a vest pocket.

That don't cut it (see what I did there? :rolleyes:) for costuming, especially for the Classic Cowboy category.

Larger Bowie types and other fixed blades probably did not ride well on a belt with the cowboy in a saddle all day. T'would be prone to losing it. But they look cool and can be useful in hanging loading strips, cartridge bags... from while on the line in our game.

I have all sizes and use each.

Who here DOESN'T like knives, after all?

On 3/18/2022 at 5:41 AM, Fretless said:

I need to add one thing. 

Hi Fretless

I gotta add one thing too, nothing to do with this thread but I must say that your interests are among the coolest and most diverse I’ve seen on this site. 

Seamus

I say go for it, if your wife likes it! I almost always wear some kind of belt knife to matches. One of these, usually, along with my screw knife. 

A266A741-3E11-4956-B9C5-5BE96CA41C89.thumb.jpeg.8dfbcdd21234b13ee70d36477644ed00.jpeg

The smallest of them is definitely the one I wear most often, although I’ll still wear the big Bowie occasionally. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 12:08 AM, Buckshot Bear said:

How much (if any) is a knife a PITA to wear?

I have a reasonably sized knife on a belt with loops (that I don't use) and it fits just right between the holster and the loops and keeps the holster in place. I barely notice it, like wearing a watch. 

I bought a knife off a maker in Texas. The picture it looked like a manageable size to use for CC. The picture didn't do it justice, it is more of a short sword than a knife. LOL

I now use a small (~3" blade stamped Damascus pattern) knife on my shotgun belt

Here's mine. I built the knife (mounted the guard, cut the antler and mounted and pinned it) but did not grind the blade. I also did the pre made beadwork inlay on the sheath.

20210104_113844.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 2:28 PM, Tequila Tony said:

Me at my next SASS match. :ph34r:

Fi-M-Top10-Hilariously-Awful-Movie-Fights-720p30_480.jpg

My Father liberated a couple of Katanas in 1945.

A thought for a ladies belt knife is to shop the flea markets for a ladies "dinner knife".  They were small(5"0 or less) double edged sheath knife.  Supposedly carried when ladies were going out to dinner at a place that might have menu items that needed to be cut and she did not wish to use the large cutlery provided.  Some are rather elaborate and since the blade is necessarily small can be found damaged and as such are rather inexpensive.

Sine the knife is primarily for display a broken blade is not a bad thing.  In fact I know of several cowboys have broken the blades off on knives with attractive handles. Cuts the weight in half.

German Replica Hand Forged High Carbon Steel Curved Knife image 1

I saw one like these at a recent gunshow, almost picked it up. To me this would be what a frontiersman may have had. I don't have any details on the design, but I believe it has it's origin in Europe.

Perhaps it's time to add blacksmith to my list of adventures. A true cowboy knife (today) has a fairly short blade for utility work, like cutting bales open, etc. Pre cartridge revolver days, the knife was the first line of defence. One carried a big knife, in plain view, as a deterrent to other ne'er-do-wells.  I see pictures and the knife was worn on the strong hand side, and the handgun was on the off side. Men were a bunch tougher back then. IMHO.

Archived