SASS Wire Forum

Opinion on knife for CAS

Buckshot Bear

My wife would like to wear a knife on her holster belt. This one is an 8" Damascus blade, doesn't say where its made but I'd guess Pakistan.

Only going to be used pretty much for decoration thoughts?

jhtyru.JPG.8cd57dcb238370da78f0f01859b8f260.JPG

tyutre.JPG.c9817cc59bf45e5283b5c8952ed033df.JPG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure it isn't true Damascus steel. Damascus steel has been folded over and over again. It is very labor intensive and not something that is going to sell cheaply. Most inexpensive "Damascus" knifes are an etched or printed pattern. Other than that, what does your wife think about it? I find I enjoy things more if I find them at matches, that way it is a visual reminder of the event.

Don't believe there was much if any Damascus in the old west.  In recent years it is coming in from a variety of places like Nepal, Afghanistan, etc. where labor is cheap and there are still old time metal workers.  I have several.  The workmanship is good, the items are very attractive,  Absolutely no problem as a prop or costume element, if reasonably period correct.  I have knives used hard for decades and trust absolutely.  Without trying one to the new ones to the  limit, mine will stay a collectibles.

15 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I am pretty sure it isn't true Damascus steel. Damascus steel has been folded over and over again. It is very labor intensive and not something that is going to sell cheaply. Most inexpensive "Damascus" knifes are an etched or printed pattern. Other than that, what does your wife think about it? I find I enjoy things more if I find them at matches, that way it is a visual reminder of the event.

Definitely not true Damascus as its fairly cheap, I haven't shown her as was going to surprise her. I have asked the seller what the width is of the scabbard loop to know if it will fit her belt, but haven't hear back yet.

I don't think (though I could be wrong) that I'd ever luck out getting a knife at a match? Maybe if someone was getting out of CAS?

You're not going to see the blade anyway, and the handle is rather attractive - go for it.

My main two - I've had people tell me the little Ruana on the left isn't legal for Classic Cowboy because it isn't long enough, but there aren't any size limitations in the manual, so...

The D-hilt Bowie came from Mexico some years ago.

Ruana.jpg.3a86158a35b70c9ea4a8ed632eb9bddc.jpgBowieKnife.jpg.9b27ecb955918b0bc4af7c1aefa13d24.jpg

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

You're not going to see the blade anyway, and the handle is rather attractive - go for it.

Its one of the most "Westernish' sort of handle that I could find online and the bit of work on the scabbard looks ok to I thought.

14 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I can get the same knife in 6" and 8" ....what's the recommendation to get? How much (if any) is a knife a PITA to wear?

A belt knife can be "somewhat problematic" if the stage starts sitting in a chair. ;)

That said, I've always worn one on my gunbelt...various sizes from 6"-15".

The larger matches here in Arizona have vendors and sale tents with a wide variety of items. The local match I was at Sunday had two sets of holsters, a screw knife, and a few other items offered.

I am a big boy and I find that as I have aged,  with  mature expansion, keeping a gun belt at the proper elevation has become problematic. I was finishing dressing with my gunbelt when I accidentally solved the problem.  My decorative knife slipped into my hip pocket preventing any loss of gun belt altitude.

Unless you're preparing food, or hacking your way through a jungle, the vast majority of people never need more than an inch or two of the blade.  Everything beyond that is just for looks.  

6 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I got tired of carrying the extra weight. A screw knife is all I carry on my gunbelt now.

Imis

Same here.  When I was starting out I had a belt knife, purely for decorative purposes.  I also wore my revolvers all day during the match.  Like Imis, I got tired of the extra weight, or at least my feet did.  The revolvers now reside in the gun cart when I'm not using them.  I carry only things that are functional. 

I'm currently shooting with a broken bone in my foot, so I'm keeping the load I have to carry as low as possible. 

If the Mrs. likes that knife, then that is the knife for her.  Personally, I don't carry a knife, as I have no room for it on my gunbelt with all the other stuff I hang from it in addition to muy guns.  (Ammo pouches, mostly)   But if this works for her and she likes it, then its the perfect one.

Still, I did wear a "knife" once to a shoot.  That is, if a sword counts as a knife.   :)

My wife wanted a sheath knife.  She went through several before she found one she liked.  Her two big issues were weight and size.  She didn't want any more noticeable weight on her gun belt and she didn't want anything to bulky.   

Her knife is mostly for looks.  She does occasionally hang an ammo bag on it. 

It might be wise to check the applicable laws of where you live regarding knives and sizes.  And just because your firearms permit allows you to transport/carry firearms doesn't mean it applies to knives.

And yes, perhaps I am being overly cautious or even a tad paranoid.

Link to Connecticut's laws regarding knives: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0346.htm

22 minutes ago, Chantry said:

It might be wise to check the applicable laws of where you live regarding knives and sizes.  And just because your firearms permit allows you to transport/carry firearms doesn't mean it applies to knives.

And yes, perhaps I am being overly cautious or even a tad paranoid.

Link to Connecticut's laws regarding knives: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0346.htm

Nothing over 4 inches?  

I guess I can't add this to my costume next time I shoot in Connecticut...

1338519605_CaseBowie.thumb.jpg.c56b8a84fe7759b097ba10afde648131.jpg

Maybe all those years in LE and the associated back pain related to wearing a gunbelt all those years.  Started out carrying a large "Bowie" for visual effect.  Lasted about two matches.  I now carry a much smaller 3" knife that can be used as a tool in  addition to a screwknife.  Still looks period correct with an antler handle. 

11 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

My main two - I've had people tell me the little Ruana on the left isn't legal for Classic Cowboy because it isn't long enough, but there aren't any size limitations in the manual, so...

The D-hilt Bowie came from Mexico some years ago.

I suppose a boot knife would really stir their waters

Carried a belt knife throughout my entire time in SASS; felt 'underdressed' without it! I would look for something better quality for your spouse.  Period correct if she desires it to be, otherwise, fantasy, if she likes it. 5-6 inches blade length would be period correct, BTW, and that is pretty comfortable to carry as well.

PM sent, pard; might have something for your spouse!

thumbnail_IMG_0229.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0230.jpg

1 hour ago, 40Chev said:

I suppose a boot knife would really stir their waters

I don't think it states it has to be a belt/sheath knife, just that it be "worn appropriately", and it would certainly be appropriate to wear a boot knife in a boot. For that matter, would it be appropriate to wear a pocket knife in a pocket? :lol:

13 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

A belt knife can be "somewhat problematic" if the stage starts sitting in a chair. ;)

That said, I've always worn one on my gunbelt...various sizes from 6"-15".

Watched Horace E Rider carry a metal folding chair from station to station. Quite the sight to see...funny as all get out and he didn't miss a beat. :lol:After that, no more belt knife for me.

14 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

My wife would like to wear a knife on her holster belt. This one is an 8" Damascus blade, doesn't say where its made but I'd guess Pakistan.

Go for it!

I can get the same knife in 6" and 8" ....what's the recommendation to get? How much (if any) is a knife a PITA to wear?

I vote for 6" or less blade.  Yes, they can be PITA....literally. 

i agree she should go for it as it makes her happy , i carry a small one because i learned that carrying less weight let me enjoy the event more , i removed the large one i used to carry as well as all but a couple extra cartridges i might need , also didnt like getting poked with the hilt when sitting or snagging the longer blade , but hey one has to go with their own desire 

There's a story that goes with that knife.   

My father knew a guy who had one.   Said it was issued to him when he was in the Navy in WWII for use in the line of duty.  Can't remember if he was a frogman or what, but that's not the point.

Anyway. my Dad wrote to Case and asked about the knife, and they replied saying, "We don't know what you're talking about.  Go away and leave us alone."  So Dad took some photos of said knife, (This was in the early 70's) being sure to get a clear shot of the Case logo, and sent them to Case.   Case showed up at the veteran's shop, and after looking at it, offered him an obscene amount of money to buy it.   He turned them down.   But he did let them "rent" it for a reasonable sum as long as they promised to give it back undamaged.   Anyway, this they did, and started making the knife again.   Dad got this one in the mail.  For free!  If you look on the Case website, you see a very similar knife, but without the brass guard or blood grooves.   I wrote them today to ask about a replacement sheath since the original is so worn out.   I wonder if history is about to repeat itself...

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There's a story that goes with that knife.   

My father knew a guy who had one.   Said it was issued to him when he was in the Navy in WWII for use in the line of duty.  Can't remember if he was a frogman or what, but that's not the point.

Anyway. my Dad wrote to Case and asked about the knife, and they replied saying, "We don't know what you're talking about.  Go away and leave us alone."  So Dad took some photos of said knife, (This was in the early 70's) being sure to get a clear shot of the Case logo, and sent them to Case.   Case showed up at the veteran's shop, and after looking at it, offered him an obscene amount of money to buy it.   He turned them down.   But he did let them "rent" it for a reasonable sum as long as they promised to give it back undamaged.   Anyway, this they did, and started making the knife again.   Dad got this one in the mail.  For free!  If you look on the Case website, you see a very similar knife, but without the brass guard or blood grooves.   I wrote them today to ask about a replacement sheath since the original is so worn out.   I wonder if history is about to repeat itself...

I can't figure out which knife you are talking about.

19 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Wear it!

Archived