SASS Wire Forum

I decided to start wearing my retirement watch.

Pat Riot

I bought this watch about 4 years ago and wire it for a while but then decided it is the perfect retirement watch so I put it away until today. I intend to wear it every day until I retire and long after. 

It’s a single handed watch made in Belarus by Luch. I bought it on Amazon. You actually have to wind it. I can actually tell pretty accurate time with it. Well, accurate enough. ;)

Actually, when I retired to the Ranch, I stopped wearing a watch.  Didn't last long, drove me crazy.  On top of that, tho I didn't need the money, I got and kept a retirement part time job for half a dozen years.  Then, I was ready to retire.  I still wear a watch and even bought a new one.  You are entering an interesting transition, at least it was / is in my case! Best wishes!

Retirement cannot get here soon enough. I plan to retire from the company I'm currently with in about 2.5 years HOPEFULLY to go work at something that makes me happy. Watch or no watch, watch me leave this company as fast as I can when that magic date gets here. ;)

Pat, retiremant begs the question...

Do you really need to know what time it is in retirement?

My dad doesn't even care what DAY it is. :D

It’s a symbol. I work in transit where every minute counts (except for this group of morons I work with now). This watch doesn’t have minutes. It shows “close enough”. 

I will always wear a watch. I have since I was a teenager. 

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Some places will pay you for an early exit - not chump change in some cases.

The idiots I work for would take 6 months to process me out. No thanks. :lol:

I always wore a watch before retiring. I felt that something was missing if I did not have a watch on. I have about 10 wrist watches that I alternated between. 

I wore one for maybe two - three months after retiring about 4 1/2 years ago and then quit. There were enough clocks around the house so I no longer needed to wear one.B)

Since I retired I wear and use my good fountain pens daily.

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748,

Can we see it?

Found these on Amazon:

Snip-it_1647485067689.thumb.jpg.c01fe7094ba5f475a52865539077dc9a.jpg

Snip-it_1647485037097.thumb.jpg.c5f588ed8078b62d11a1026fe86085c4.jpg

im in my third year of my second retirement ...yes the story is long enough not to tell , ive not worn a watch in about twenty years , i wore my fathers after he passed for a couple then said that was enough , there was a time when a watch seemed important , today the phone tells me if i need to know , but mostly i dont pay much attention to time unless im on someone else's schedule , like a shoot or an event here with family , i dont really pay much attention to what day it is unless i have to work[ihave a part time-fun job] or its garbage day or a family event , 

if i had my way i would not pay any attention at all to time or what day it is , i know what season it is because of the weather , just hoping to enjoy a lot more of it , 

I have several wrist watches, all very nice, hand, some and accurate.   I seldom wear one.

BUT....

I have thirteen pocket watches (three are not are functional and I keep them for sentimental reasons) and two pocket stop watches, and I wear a different one to fit my mood.

There's an old saying that "a man who has a watch knows what time it is.  A man with more than one watch is never quite sure."

It is very true, but I'm retired now for 21 years and I just don't care.  I simply like the looks of them.

I'm still a ways off from being able to retire.  I haven't worn a watch in well over a decade.  Once I got a cell phone I decided I didn't need it as the phone has a clock.  To be honest, neither my wife nor I tend to wear any jewelry.

Simply, I detest cell phones. Got rid of mine when I retired.   Probably one of a very small group who doesn't own or carry one,  Have considered one to carry in the car or truck, but just not worth the money and irritation.  

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What a goof I am. I meant to post a photo in my first post. 

Here it is:

image.png.5a8051e0e0679302b33cb93ff9089d60.png

Snip-it_1643762103797.jpg.dc4c52c9993cc348fc4aa215062c6bd9.jpg

21 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I’m with your dad…no watch and my week day is Sunday followed by six Saturdays.. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I’m with your dad…no watch and my week day is Sunday followed by six Saturdays.. 

Exactly.

My dad jokingly said his weekend starts on Monday and goes through the next Sunday.

And then I realized he was not joking.

And then I realized how happy he is.

And then I realized how jealous I am.

:D

23 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I'm still a ways off from being able to retire.  I haven't worn a watch in well over a decade.  Once I got a cell phone I decided I didn't need it as the phone has a clock.  To be honest, neither my wife nor I tend to wear any jewelry.

I AM NOT A SISSY!!!! :angry:

Oh!  Sorry.  I didn't read what I thought I did.

4 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I AM NOT A SISSY!!!! :angry:

Oh!  Sorry.  I didn't read what I thought I did.

I don't really know what you read into my post.  I just don't like to wear a watch.  Once I retire and ditch the cell phone, I just won't care what time it is.  I'll get there when I get there!

I retired 7 years ago and have not worn a watch since, I don’t usually know or care what time it is or really what day it is as everyday is now Saturday, if I do have to be somewhere such as an appointment I can’t get out of I put it on my calendar and do check that as I’m pouring my first cup of coffee. I spend a lot of time on my range with my cowboy guns and Buffalo rifles, and archery equipment, fishing and hunting whatever is in season here or hoping to draw another elk tag in wyoming. Lots of time with the grandkids,  the wife retires in Sept, might change up my busy day a bit when she is home all day. Oh and haranguing Dantankerous to come shoot some long range when he gets the time has been another project! Lol!

I retired in 2016.  I don't wear a watch anymore.  I don't carry a phone unless I'm going somewhere.  Most of the time I don't even remember where I put it.  I have to call the cell phone with the landline and hope the thing is still charged, so'se I can track it down.   Do you remember the days when we had to wear pagers?  I'm glad they're gone!  :P

Well, I like wearing a watch.

I like to know what time it is.

I like to know on a cloudy day that trout season or legal fishing time starts 1/2 hour before sunrise and sunrise occurs at 06:00 that at 05:30 I am legal to start fishing. 
I wear a watch so that when I tell someone I will be somewhere at a certain time, I will be there at that time. I do not appreciate people showing up late so I do not show up late unless there is a damn good reason. Being retired is no excuse for tardiness. 

I like this watch because:

It’s manual winding. No batteries. 
It doesn’t beep. I had a watch beep once and it scared a nice buck into running. :angry:
Even with just the hour hand I can still judge time to within a minute or so, if need be. 
I can ditch the phone when I want and still know the time. Remember the beeping watch that scared the deer. Man, that still frosts me. He was a beauty, too. 
It looks nice. 

7 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I don't really know what you read into my post.  I just don't like to wear a watch.  Once I retire and ditch the cell phone, I just won't care what time it is.  I'll get there when I get there!

I was just trying to be funny.  I doesn't always turn out that way.  I wear my wedding band, a Navajo necklace that I have had for forty four years, and one of my thirteen pocket watches.  I also have a medic alert bracelet which is a PITA, but is  barrier against some emergency personnel shocking me and stopping my super duper high tech implanted pace maker.  Trust me, Doc, when I tell you that I was not being serious and would never deliberately say nor do anything to offend nor embarrass you.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:25 PM, Dantankerous said:

My dad does , but just so he can avoid the crowds and traffic 

Archived