SASS Wire Forum

Ever had fun with a real anti meater & no animals should die type?

Buckshot Bear

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From their vast experience, the [Desert] Fathers have determined that vegetarian foods are not appointed for everyone... nor are legumes for everyone; nor can everyone use dried bread for sustenance (only the healthy, but not the ill)... Illness of the body does not come into conflict with purity of heart, when we are careful to give our bodies whatever illness demands and not that which pleasure desires... The moderate and logical use of food ensures the health of the body; it does not detract from holiness.

+Abba Cassian, The Evergetinos, Volume Two, p. 146-147.

4th Century A.D.

An acquaintance of my wife is one of those leftist Berkeley trolls and a hardcore granola eating vegetarian.

One day that woman was showing pictures of her cats. Me being me, I walked over and told her "I love cats..." her face lit up until I finished my sentence, "...they're great on rice" . 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.5d41cd5aff618eea3b6d68eaf3e573dc.png

Let’s not and just SAY we did!!  :rolleyes:  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

All them duck butts that have been immersed in it!  Eewww!

• 1 month later...

A little FLAVOR will convert a lot of sympathetic vegans!!  He’s only a vegan because she says so!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

A little FLAVOR will convert a lot of sympathetic vegans!!  He’s only a vegan because she says so!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can have plenty of excellent flavor without meat.  What's missing is mostly the meaty texture.  When we cooked at church during Lent some people were dubious that we hadn't used any meat or other animal products.  See some of the receipts in the Victuals and Viands thread.

I'll grant that many of them are more satisfying with some meat added, but they don't lack for flavor.  Two things that I do sorely miss during fasts are cheese and bacon.  Nothing vegan quite replaces either one.

51 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You can have plenty of excellent flavor without meat.  What's missing is mostly the meaty texture.  When we cooked at church during Lent some people were dubious that we hadn't used any meat or other animal products.  See some of the receipts in the Victuals and Viands thread.

I'll grant that many of them are more satisfying with some meat added, but they don't lack for flavor.  Two things that I do sorely miss during fasts are cheese and bacon.  Nothing vegan quite replaces either one.

And there is EXACTLY what I’m talking about!!

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

And there is EXACTLY what I’m talking about!!

Um.... not quite.   I miss CERTAIN flavors.  You wrote "A little FLAVOR will convert a lot of sympathetic vegans!!" impling that NO vegan dishes had any flavor.   Big difference.  And I'll note that the guy was eating neither bacon more cheese.

On 10/9/2022 at 8:44 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Um.... not quite.   I miss CERTAIN flavors.  You wrote "A little FLAVOR will convert a lot of sympathetic vegans!!" impling that NO vegan dishes had any flavor.   Big difference.  And I'll note that the guy was eating neither bacon more cheese.

I made no such implication.  However, bacon and cheeses are in no way part of a true vegan diet.

My comment was intended as humor.  The video illustrated the same humor.  I hadn’t even looked at this thread since Sunday and stumbled onto it while looking for another.  It seems that, lately, you’ve decided to occasionally take others to task for their opinions that don’t suit you.  I enjoy the back and forth, but ya’ could lighten up a bit.

57 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

However, bacon and cheeses are in no way part of a true vegan diet.

Agreed.  And I never hinted that they are, just that I really miss them during the fasts.  You can make a decent "cheese" dip with nutritional yeast (interesting thought, can vegans eat yeast products...I'll have to look it up) and a few other things.  But none of the fake cheese comes close.

I won't even go into my opinion of vegan "bacon." Not often do I take one nibble of something and throw all of it away.

Archived