SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 94 cowboy .38 cartridge oal

Lucky Lawdog

Just purchased a 94 cowboy from a pardner who said it is short stroked and case length sensitive. He had no clues as to what would be proper length ( thats why he was getting rid of it). I will be running .38 tcfp 125gr. in it. Not gonna load .357. Anybody running a short stroked 94, what oal, what do they feed well?

My wife has one short stroked by Carty, I load a 125 gr round nose by Bear Creek to 1.42. Good luck. I like the Bear Creek because they have no crimp grove and I can seat them to what ever length I want.

Dave, it was bought used from someone who bought used. No wat to find iut who shortstroked it. Bob, i will try that length. Kid, thanks, good idea.  J.M., if I feel the need to quit fooling around with oal, (my other 94cs and my 73's run 1.50oal) what parts will I need to change out so all my guns will feed the same length cartridge.

47 minutes ago, Lucky Lawdog said:

Just purchased a 94 cowboy from a pardner who said it is short stroked and case length sensitive. 

You are indeed, LUCKY.   That should be a really nice Marlin.

Marlin's whether short stroked or not, can be OVERALL length sensitive.

Most of the short strokes I have seen, looked at, and owner bragged about, were basically using 1.40,  +/- a few .000

And they were very fine rifles.   If you can find out WHO set up the short stroke, give them a cordial call and see what they advise.

NOTE:  regardless of it being short stroked or factory standard,  the timing will also be critical to function the desired ammo you use.

Good luck.

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Lucky Lawdog said:

Dave, it was bought used from someone who bought used. No wat to find iut who shortstroked it. Bob, i will try that length. Kid, thanks, good idea.  J.M., if I feel the need to quit fooling around with oal, (my other 94cs and my 73's run 1.50oal) what parts will I need to change out so all my guns will feed the same length cartridge.

If it’s been around a while there’s a good chance it’s a spur/Carty action. If so you’ll need a new carrier at a minimum. You’ll lose the short stroke 

Hey LUCKY,

I see that you shoot down in Louisiana.

If you can, let Slick McClade check it out.  He's a good Marlin smith.   He might be able to share some good, useful

info.

..........Widder

Before I removed the short stroke I would find another and sell that one as is.  Short Stroked Marlins usually bring a premium as there are not very many in existence. 

Hombre, do the smiths that do the short strokes mark them ti let you know who did it? Widder, I'm gonna try 1.42 and see how she does before I try to contact Slick.  Dave, short stroke doesnt mean as much to me ( im not fast anyway) as reliability. She is a beautiful JM 94 cowboy.

Lapdog, a very simple procedure and you must own a caliper …

*. Put a reload in the magazine, and keep trying to chamber them with measurements until the nose of of the round clears the top of the chamber and doesn’t hang up on the chamber  ramp.

* load 6 dummies and rack them quickly into the chamber.  If no hang ups, write theCOL number down and adjust your seating die to that number

Any round proper COL is dependent on the length of the bullet and depth it is seated in th case

Archived