SASS Wire Forum

Emergency Food Supply

Usually best to cycle through the preper food periodically.   Keep for 6 months then buy another and eat the older stuff. 

We started keeping a small supply of non-perishable food starting just before Y2K.  We also bought a new garbage can.  We washed it out and filled it water.  We never needed the water it contained, but we needed a new trash can anyway. 

We only buy food that we normally eat so we can rotate newer canned food into the pantry.  Although we always have a case of bottled water on hand, we went with the products below for extended water needs.

LifeStraw Family - Emergency Water Filter & Purifier | Removes Viruses

LifeStraw - The original award-winning straw-filter | LifeStraw Water Filters & Purifiers

We did start keeping a small generator on the screened in porch so we can keep stuff in the refrigerator/freezer good and operate our tankless water heater.  We also keep 5 gallons of gas with STA-BIL in it at all times.  The generator was a life saver when a tornado knocked our power out for over a week two years ago.  The gas grill was a great stove;  I now have a couple of extra propane tanks filled, just in case.

My adult children tease me a little, but my daughter was all to happy to come to our house to take a shower, or two, when that tornado also knocked out her power and she was not prepared.

Weather events are my biggest concerns. My town goy hit by a major tornado several years ago, plus ice storms  knock out the power for up to two weeks at a time. Heck, parts of Memphis went without power for 5 days after the sleet and snow last month. I keep a well stocked pantry with 90 days supply of canned and dry goods. I hunt whitetail and hogs, so the freezers stay pretty full and I have generators to keep them running. I worked hard to develop this Santa body and don't plan to go hungry.  

I have three fresh water springs on the place, all within ~300 yards of my house, a creek about 8/10ths mile away, and the Missouri river about 2.5 miles away. Plenty of big & small game around, plenty of game birds and migratory waterfowl, plenty of brook trout, perch, and rainbow trout, plenty of wheat & barley, and seasonal wild berries, asparagus, and little wild onions. I think I know where there are some wild plum trees down along the creek bottom too. If it gets REAL bad though, it gets REAL bad. During the Great Depression, everything made of meat was pretty much killed off, and weren't seen in these hills again for the next several years.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:47 AM, Dantankerous said:

I too am not so concerned with an invasion but more of a large scale natural disaster (power outage aftermath of a horrible ice storm years ago saw my family eating hot meals cooked on a Coleman camp stove... no problem, just keep plenty of propane bottle around ;)).

I still have my fish cooker that I used in the chili cookoffs.  Before I got my generator I figured my fish cooker and 20# propane bottle would be my emergency stove.

I am not a prepper or anything just a single old fart that eats all his meals out.  There is usually nothing in my refrigerator and one can of 15 year old soup in the pantry.  With riots, covid, the Russians in Ukraine and the ChiComs pressing Taiwan there could be some supply chain disruptions so I just thought I should lay in a supply of ratproof (yeah my new Rugged Gear cart got eaten) emergency food.  Also bought four cases of water.  Land invasion?  No.  (Unless you count the southern border) Incompetent people in Washington, D.C.?  Yes.

Two years ago I bought 6 months of 25 year food. I live on a lake and have a well. I have a hand pump to replace the electric. I also keep 90 to 120 days in can goods. I used to keep rice, but it goes bad to fast. Most rice comes from Asia and I found them to have bugs show up in sealed containers. I do keep a lot of salt. I’m a hunter and I’m very familiar with preservation. Pressure cooker and a lot of cans. Neighbors are all farmers and we have our own plan. 

Getting ready to install all solar powered motion sensor lights. 105 pound 18 month old German Shepard   

Am am I ready. Not likely. But I’ll punish anyone that tries to steal. Word around here right now is to watch gas thieves. They know that most large farmers keep fuel tanks for farm equipment. Everyone around me is highly armed and on guard. Most of us sleep in shifts. My wife is up every night till midnight. I’m usually up by 1:00 am. 

Archived