SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Model 66 .22 model not feeding right

Cholla

I bought a used Uberti 66 in .22 LR in case I ever got grandkids. I had it worked on to fix an issue with it not holding the cartridge correctly to feed it into the chamber. That works now but half the time I get a cartridge and a portion of another one from the magazine when I cock it. I don't suppose this is an easy fix? I am this close to selling the thing!!!

Might need a picture?  I don't know what sort of ramp, if any, is on the front of the .22 carrier.  I'll assume you are not shooting shorter ammo.  I would check the magazine spring to be sure it wasn't too long and strong.  That's easy enough.  Good luck.

Is the lifter an original that properly matches a .22 LR cartridge?  Or is it a bubba-replaced lifter that was made for some other (longer, and perhaps fatter) cartridge? 

If the "second cartridge" has a chance to lay crooked or partially overlapping the first one in the lifter, you will need to add some shimming to hold the cartridges in-line (tip of first centered in base of second cartridge) every time the gun cycles.  Or find the correct lifter.

If alignment and lengths look right, then you may have to re-cut the angle on the front of the lifter which pushes the "half" cartridge back into the mag tube when the lifter rises up.   This is the "cartridge return ramp."   If there is not enough brass in the lifter body to make a .22 LR just fit on the shelf of the lifter (what is left after the ramp is cut back), then you may need a spring-loaded flap in the cartridge channel of the lifter which holds the round farther forward.   Like the carriers modified to let a short Cowboy .45 Special cartridge work in a lifter made for .45 Colt. But I'll bet the lifter is wrong one or bubba'd/damaged.

good luck, GJ

7 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

22 cal Uberti's have a spring loaded stop pin on the left side of the carrier to only allow one round at a time . Yours might be missing, bent, stuck, etc.

I see the catch. It does not appear to be spring loaded. It works if I drop one round down the tube. But, when I load up a few and put the follower back in the pressure pushes the round rim past the catch. I assume the channel that the bolt and rounds use is too large for the intended purpose and allows the rim to move over enough to slide past. I already have over $700 in this thing and I assume it requires a new lifter, if they are available.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

Sell it to Dogmeat Dad and buy a Henry?

I've owned an Uberti .22 '66.... And That is Good Advise!

Channel in lifter ought to just be a little larger than the bolt face.  You'll have to check that as a clue to determine if you have a bad lifter.   But most likely that cartridge stop needs a spring.  Finding out how strong a spring could be tough unless you can find a pard with similar gun.

good luck, GJ

ive been wanting one of these , have a fondness for 22s in general , that and a 73 , i have a few henrys - just not the same really , hope you get it fixed , 

Uberti has a new style lifter for the .22LR guns.

The old style lifter has a cartridge stop that basically is a leaf spring with a tab that screws into the side of the lifter.  That's so the bolt can push past it to chamber a round, but stops the round from going to far back.  The spring tension in the mag tube usually is too much and if you load to capacity it will push the round too far, try loading no more than 10 rounds, might work.

The new style lifter has no spring, lifter is machined differently with a shoulder inside to stop the cartridge, works much better.  Try VTI for a new style, the get them in periodically.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=39&cat=Uberti

Code
UB:200007

Description
Uberti Carrier Block .22LR (1866) 2020 No Longer Uses Spring UB:200078 & UB:200125
Check Stock
Price
US$71.50

Quantity 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

22 cal Uberti's have a spring loaded stop pin on the left side of the carrier to only allow one round at a time . Yours might be missing, bent, stuck, etc.

I took the rifle apart. You are 100% right.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:29 AM, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

Uberti has a new style lifter for the .22LR guns.

The old style lifter has a cartridge stop that basically is a leaf spring with a tab that screws into the side of the lifter.  That's so the bolt can push past it to chamber a round, but stops the round from going to far back.  The spring tension in the mag tube usually is too much and if you load to capacity it will push the round too far, try loading no more than 10 rounds, might work.

The new style lifter has no spring, lifter is machined differently with a shoulder inside to stop the cartridge, works much better.  Try VTI for a new style, the get them in periodically.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=39&cat=Uberti

Code
UB:200007

Description
Uberti Carrier Block .22LR (1866) 2020 No Longer Uses Spring UB:200078 & UB:200125
Check Stock
Price
US$71.50

Quantity 

I also see Taylor's has them. Will this require another trip to the gunsmith to make it work?

The closer to factory the gun is now, the better chance the replacement might drop in without work.  You or the gunsmith are in best position to answer that one.  Since this gun seems not to have been short-stroked, that is another point in favor of drop-in working.

But when I buy a cowboy type gun off someone who is not willing or able to give me the full story of its history, I ALWAYS assume that I or a smith will have to diagnose, locate parts and repair until it runs well.

good luck, GJ

OMG! I ordered the newer carrier block. It looks like it would be perfect except for one tiny problem. It's 1/4" too long!!!!

From everything I can find these were made by Uberti for Navy Arms in 1966. I can only guess that they changed the receiver design at some point so that it could accommodate all calibers. So, now I have to return the block and figure the next step. I have contacted Navy Arms to see what they recommend or have parts for.

It looks like I should give up. Mine is one of the four digit serial number versions.

Archived