SASS Wire Forum

USS Kitty Hawk

Buckshot Bear

I got to tour her back in the later 80s.  Wife's nephew was on board and the KH was in San Diego.  He got us below decks in the hanger bay amongst other places.  He said the crew would play football down there.  It was huge.  He served in the officers mess.  He found it enjoyable.

James Melka, a boilerman on carrier in the '60s, led an effort by the Kitty Hawk Veterans Association to get the ship turned into a museum, like other carriers including the Intrepid in New York, the Midway and Hornet in California, the Yorktown in South Carolina, and the Lexington in Texas.

I'm sorry, but if this ship can be sold as scrap:

972529293_USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)_in_Puget_Sound_September_1945.thumb.jpg.71f1c177d7173fc15b27697a5728371c.jpg

Any ship that followed can.

8 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I'm sorry, but if this ship can be sold as scrap:

972529293_USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)_in_Puget_Sound_September_1945.thumb.jpg.71f1c177d7173fc15b27697a5728371c.jpg

Any ship that followed can.

The Big E.  Served the entire Second World War.  Sunk three times by the Japanese (so they thought.) Her battle record reads like a summation of the War in the Pacific.  She SHOULD have been preserved. 

1 hour ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

The Big E.  Served the entire Second World War.  Sunk three times by the Japanese (so they thought.) Her battle record reads like a summation of the War in the Pacific.  She SHOULD have been preserved. 

Exactly. Let's not forget that at one point, after USS Hornet was sunk, she was the ONLY U.S. carrier operating in the Pacific, fighting despite her battle damage.

my FIL did a bit of time on her when he was leaving VN about that 72 time period , he never said exactly what or why but he was a submariner so it was always a curiosity to me , he is gone now 20 years so i can no longer quiz him further on the topic , he might not have said anyway , i might get an answer from a BIL two of them were navy too , 

Archived