SASS Wire Forum

Murdered my 1873 extractor

Double Dutch

So I recently acquired a Uberti 1873 lever gun in 357.  Barely Used in great shape.  Love it.

Anyway, today I did my usual “Ralphie from Christmas story” shoot imaginary bad guys in my bed room and noticed something wrong.  The bolt was hanging up on the way back.  The extractor gets hung up on the little dust cover doodad that the screw goes into.  You have to physically push the extractor down for it to cycle all the way back.  

I’ve been cycling it like crazy for a week but haven’t shot it yet.  Figured instead of dry firing, I’d just run snap caps.  It doesn’t like snap caps.  Won’t feed very well.  I have a few dummy rounds that cycle like butter.

Did the snap caps bend the extractor you think?  I’ve got 2 new ones coming in the mail from Long Hunter.   Any ideas from the lousy pics?  I can put together an AR15 in my sleep but I’m new to the 73s.  The brass elevator is out of the gun in the pics btw.

Cheers!

2CB7459A-1467-4183-A223-5087DC442B99.png

7F1C883B-A7DC-40E8-8121-A2C7A92DB6CD.png

A0391C92-60C2-4225-A125-C271419C2CFC.jpeg

F9E065DA-ABDE-4C91-B6C7-797083CBF422.jpeg

You bent it there pardner… reeeeeaaaal goood!   
get your hands on an extractor pin jig from @Scarlett it’ll make tapping out the pin that holds it in place a cinch.  
When doing the replacement have a set of calipers handy since odds are the new extractors will be wider than the groove. The factory milling in the groove isn’t the same width from front to back.  
Don’t mess with the bolt groove.  

You’ll need to hand fit the extractor to fit the groove.  I lightly filed with a flat jewelers needle file, then polished smooth with polishing stones, 400, 600 emery cloth and flitz.  Take off enough so it fits snug. Then use that jig from scarlett (www.bulletsbyscarlett) to hold things together and tap the pin back in.  
I just redid one at our club for a Pard who bent his just like yours.  It took a couple hours to do with the slowest part being the careful hand fitting.  

Ok here is what you need to do to fix this issue.

Take the butt stock screw out .

Then flip the rifle on it's left side .

With your left hand push forward on the barrel.

With your right hand push back on the stock .

Once the butt stock separates from the fore end , Your just about there.

Go too the gun safe and take out the 1892 rifle .

Now 

Take the butt stock screw out .

Then flip the rifle on it's left side .

With your left hand push forward on the barrel.

With your right hand push back on the stock .

Once the butt stock separates from the fore end , Your just about there.

Ok now the key part .

Put the butt stock off the 1873 on to the 1892 and Tighten screw .

Never happens again .

Problem solved :D

Rooster

03CDB4E6-557E-405D-AAE3-D315C2D257DC.thumb.jpeg.bb76791c026bfe7b1429cab1e459b2e9.jpegI’m with @Captain Bill Burt never seen one bent like that. Here are pictures of the jig that @Not Dead Ed mentioned. They’re handy tools for removing extractor pin and cleaning under extractor. 

hugs!

Scarlett

Original extractor looks like it was ground down too much on the spring leg section in an attempt to lighten the spring tension, weakening spring and allowing it to get bent.   The top of the hook is what grabs the dust cover and pulls it open.  Once open it should not be forcing the dust cover to move back and forth.   But, if the hook is that high, it's probably dragging the cover closed and open each time you cycle the action.   

As mentioned, get a new 73 extractor and install or have it installed.   

good luck, GJ

I have a quick question, which is kind of pertinent to this discussion.

If you need to replace the extractor pin, do you need to order the part or can you make one out of a piece of round stock?

I presume the pin is not hardened steel??

Thanks!

--Doc

For the 'snap cap', you can trim the rim of the .38/.357 case so that the extractor has nothing to 'grab' and the snap cap will stay in the chamber.  This will allow you to dry fire practice without feeding it snap caps and chasing them around the living room to reload them.

They also sell one ready cut with filler in the primer pocket ready to go if you are not comfortable building your own.

photo 3 (2)-228x228.JPG

1 hour ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

If you need to replace the extractor pin, do you need to order the part or can you make one out of a piece of round stock?

No, Yes.  I make mine.  1/16" drill bit shank.   1/16" steel rod.  It holds very little pressure from the spring and the extracting of a case.

I make mine from 0.069" rebar tie wire (hardware store "bailing" wire).    Spin a straightened piece of that wire in a drill and apply sandpaper until it is a light drive fit in the bolt hole.  Yeah, it's real soft.   I can drill it out in 10 years without drifting off into the bolt body.   It's plenty strong enough for this application.  Total cost - probably a couple of pennies and my time.

After installed, file off ends of the pin so nothing hangs out the sides of the bolt body.

good luck, GJ

22 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

Looks like the extractor includes the pin, so definitely going to replace it.  Glad I could win the award for most bent extractor

It's a rather small award but it's all yours :) hang in there

8 hours ago, Not Dead Ed said:

You bent it there pardner… reeeeeaaaal goood!   
get your hands on an extractor pin jig from @Scarlett it’ll make tapping out the pin that holds it in place a cinch.  
When doing the replacement have a set of calipers handy since odds are the new extractors will be wider than the groove. The factory milling in the groove isn’t the same width from front to back.  
Don’t mess with the bolt groove.  

You’ll need to hand fit the extractor to fit the groove.  I lightly filed with a flat jewelers needle file, then polished smooth with polishing stones, 400, 600 emery cloth and flitz.  Take off enough so it fits snug. Then use that jig from scarlett (www.bulletsbyscarlett) to hold things together and tap the pin back in.  
I just redid one at our club for a Pard who bent his just like yours.  It took a couple hours to do with the slowest part being the careful hand fitting.  

Thanks for the tip, Not Dead Ed.  I just ordered one of those jigs from Scarlett.

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

03CDB4E6-557E-405D-AAE3-D315C2D257DC.thumb.jpeg.bb76791c026bfe7b1429cab1e459b2e9.jpegI’m with @Captain Bill Burt never seen one bent like that. Here are pictures of the jig that @Not Dead Ed mentioned. They’re handy tools for removing extractor pin and cleaning under extractor. 

hugs!

Scarlett

This is just what I needed Scarlett so I ordered one this morning, and you've already shipped it before I've even paid for it!  I do appreciate your trust in me!

Best,

Hellbender

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

No, Yes.  I make mine.  1/16" drill bit shank.   1/16" steel rod.  It holds very little pressure from the spring and the extracting of a case.

I make mine from 0.069" rebar tie wire (hardware store "bailing" wire).    Spin a straightened piece of that wire in a drill and apply sandpaper until it is a light drive fit in the bolt hole.  Yeah, it's real soft.   I can drill it out in 10 years without drifting off into the bolt body.   It's plenty strong enough for this application.  Total cost - probably a couple of pennies and my time.

After installed, file off ends of the pin so nothing hangs out the sides of the bolt body.

good luck, GJ

Thank you, GJ.  Great information.

You answered everything I was wondering about.

--Doc

12 hours ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

I have a quick question, which is kind of pertinent to this discussion.

I presume the pin is not hardened steel??

Thanks!

--Doc

A matching size drill bit, ground to length is an easy replacement. 

On 3/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, Double Dutch said:

Looks like the extractor includes the pin, so definitely going to replace it.  Glad I could win the award for most bent extractor

Nice try Grasshopper.   After a train wreck, one my friends walked back shaking his head. The front of the extractor was pointing up at nearly 90 degrees.      GW

40 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Nice try Grasshopper.   After a train wreck, one my friends walked back shaking his head. The front of the extractor was pointing up at nearly 90 degrees.      GW

Goals.  I’ll get there some day

On 3/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, Double Dutch said:

I have removed my extractor several times and have been able to reuse mine every time. They’re handy little gadgets!

Archived