SASS Wire Forum

Referring to a Uberti 1873 rifle as a Winchester

Quiet Burp

I usually say Uberti-Win 73. Almost always  write it that way. 

I just say my '73 or my yellowboy, or maybe my Henry, depending on which one I am shooting. I have a real Winchester '94 in 38-55, just refer to it as my 38-55. Unless I am selling it or having it worked on it is my business who actually made it.

35 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Stump the stars! When Winchester commissions a 1873 from Miroku in Japan, is it a Winchester? 

I certainly think so.

And, my personal favorite…”I load bullets in my Uberti/Winchester/Miroku.” No you don’t. You load cartridges. Or ammunition. Not bullets.  Oh, and 45 Colt. 

I’ve let that go… and when talking about my ‘73 it’s a ‘73 Uberti… my SKB is my coach Gun and my NMV are revolvers though we call them pistols ALL the time… Winter Range/End of Trail is the ONLY match that I’ve been to that says, “revolvers loaded with 5 rounds each…” some things like this used to REALLY bug me…but not so much anymore. :D

Big fat I survived Covid for a second time and might be a little grumpy HUGS,

Scarlett:wub:

Better'n just callin' it a '73... heck you could be talkin' about your pistol!  :P

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

Better'n just callin' it a '73... heck you could be talkin' about your pistol!  :P

NO! My revolvers are ‘75s!!  :lol:

52 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just say “My 73 or my 66”

They’re both Ubertis 

Yep.

Henry ,  66 , 73 , 92 or Marlin Rifle ! 

Nuff said :P

In big scheme of things, unless you are selling it or ordering parts, and thus need to be precise on the manufacturer name, it's a waste of time trying to correct the uninformed.   Sorta like teaching pigs to dance ballet.   ;)

good luck, GJ

Fake cowboys shooting fake guns, seems appropriate. 

It is interesting, the 1897 Winchester shotgun is probably the most used "original" firearm used, for now. I'm seeing more Chinese copies being used every year. 

i borrowed a term from the car guys, and call them "tributes". IOW a '73 Winchester Tribute. 

BB 

15 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Stump the stars! When Winchester commissions a 1873 from Miroku in Japan, is it a Winchester? 

If not the there’s been very few Browning firearms ever produced 

Depends on who I am talking to. 

On the wire and at SASS clubs I pretty much assume any 1860, 1866 or 1873 rifle/carbine is a Uberti.  Miroku Winchesters are easy to spot and anyone shooting an original Winchester is quick to point that fact out.  In my opinion the phrase "Winchester 1873" designates the model with a few possible makers and importers.  

If I am talking to a non-sass person who is expressing mild interest in cowboy guns I will take the time to explain that my rifle is a modern reproduction of the Winchester 1873 produced by Uberti.   

I shoot a Spencer, occasionally. But I don't shoot a Taylor Spencer, or a Chiappa Spencer, or whoever the hell made it. I shoot a Spencer.

I shoot a Sharps. Not a Pedersoli Sharps, or a C  Sharps Sharps. Just a Sharps.

I've got a 95 Winchester. It was made by Browning, and since Browning now owns Winchester I guess it is actually a Winchester 95 Winchester. But I don't care. It's a 95 Winchester. My Browning made 86 is an 86 Winchester.

I refer to my Uberti 73 as a 73, and I refer to my Winchester 73 as a 73.

I've got nine Colts - none of them were made by Colt.

And I thought I came up with strange things to wonder about.

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I shoot a Spencer, occasionally. But I don't shoot a Taylor Spencer, or a Chiappa Spencer, or whoever the hell made it. I shoot a Spencer.

This nails it right here - as in "how far are you going to go"?   I refer to most of my guns as "Cimarron (whatevers)".   But Cimarron didn't make em, they just imported 'em.

I've also got a Henry 1960 made by Henry USA.   If some nit-pickers had their way I'd be calling it "A Henry original Henry replica of an 1860 Henry".   The Triple-H for short!   I call it a Henry rifle.   If folks ask, I elaborate.

My Uberti/Cimarron/Remington New Model Army conversions - I call them Remingtons.    

My Uberti/Cimarron/1866 Winchester - I call it a '66 Winchester

ETC.   If people are in the know, they know these guns are not originals, and have a pretty good idea what they are specifically.   If they aren't in the know, they probably don't even know what a Henry Rifle is.

Remingtons!

I had a pair of .44 #3 Russian replicas, but someone wanted them and was willing to more than double what I paid for them. I was reducing the number of different calipers that I was keeping ammo for, so I took the money!

12 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

7b2a63b8-16e6-4969-b9bf-3f0cdba5aff8_text.gif.dff2274a2709ee6a0442d26f597de0ee.gif

this is my wench, Esther

Archived