SASS Wire Forum

Jeans Buttons

I found said buttons that have to be hammered together.  Maybe three out of six go together without being destroyed or failing shortly after they are attached. NOT satisfactory.

For less money I found some that screw together but come unscrewed in the wash.  Much better to attach and seem to be stringer.  Would a drop of red Loktite hold them?

The only other solution seems to be to sew regular four hole buttons on by hand, but that takes forever and looks dog crap on a stick.

What say you all?

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Would a drop of red Loktite hold them?

Red loctite is basically permanent.  Especially on something that can catch fire as the only way to loosen red loctite is with heat.

7 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Red loctite is basically permanent.  Especially on something that can catch fire as the only way to loosen red loctite is with heat.

Would that turn the jeans into Hot Pants?:lol:

48 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

My first pistols in CAS were two Colt Cowboys ( I know, I know, many don't consider them real Colts, but that's all I could afford at the time).  Anyway I started having problems with screws loosening up so one day I started using red loctite on the screws..........................WRONG THING TO DO!  When I started on the second one I tried to cock the first one and found the damn thing was frozen shut!  In a total panic I was able to disassemble both guns and totally remove all traces of red loctite.  From then on I became a sworn user of clear nail polish in all screws in all guns.  Red loctite should never come within 100 feet of guns, the same as Dremel tools.  But it probably would work wonderfully on your jeans buttons. 

Just now, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

My first pistols in CAS were two Colt Cowboys ( I know, I know, many don't consider them real Colts, but that's all I could afford at the time).  Anyway I started having problems with screws loosening up so one day I started using red loctite on the screws..........................WRONG THING TO DO!  When I started on the second one I tried to cock the first one and found the damn thing was frozen shut!  In a total panic I was able to disassemble both guns and totally remove all traces of red loctite.  From then on I became a sworn user of clear nail polish in all screws in all guns.  Red loctite should never come within 100 feet of guns, the same as Dremel tools.  But it probably would work wonderfully on your jeans buttons. 

Don't know if they still make it, they had one called Guntite for just that sort of thing!

What brand of buttons are you buying?  Been using Carhartt Bachelor Buttons for years and have never had issues.

I do use an awl to make the hole in the jeans and push the stud through the material before hammering it into the button.

35 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

...  Red loctite should never come within 100 feet of guns, the same as Dremel tools. 

Gunsmiths should send the president of Dremel a Christmas card every year.

I don't use Loctite.  I just keep a watch on any screws that like to loosen up on their own and snug them down as necessary- mostly because I never can remember which one's permanent and which one isn't.

@Rip Snorter,

Off-topic, but thanks for updating your image.png.05c09cc16aafe6641fd697d9d316669d.png. ;)

Never had any issues with hammering Duluth Trading bachelor buttons together.

Like SD said above, as long as spike end has been pushed through a hole in the pants material first

Actually, the white Loctite is the strongest.  It is used to assemble metal parts that are never intended to be disassembled.  We use it on Harley Davidson crank pins and flywheels when they go together for the final time. You often have to cut the crank pin nuts off when you rebuild an old Harley engine.

The red stuff can be loosened with heat, such as boiling water.

I use the blue loctite stick (It looks like a chap stick) on my gun stuff.

Never had an issue so far.

I have a bottle of purple 222 Loctite for hammer, trigger & bolt screws.  It’s a step lighter than blue 242 Loctite.  

We used to have jean looking buttons, that were screw together, though.  Reminded me of chicago screws in a way.  A drop of crazy glue kept these together.

29F4F5CE-DA18-4018-A16B-41DEFAFDC185.jpeg

I open up the hole in the button with a drillbit one size larger than the stud , then press them together with a pair of pliers.

Haven't  bent one since

5 hours ago, WOLFY said:

I have a bottle of purple 222 Loctite for hammer, trigger & bolt screws.  It’s a step lighter than blue 242 Loctite.  

We used to have jean looking buttons, that were screw together, though.  Reminded me of chicago screws in a way.  A drop of crazy glue kept these together.

29F4F5CE-DA18-4018-A16B-41DEFAFDC185.jpeg

These are the kind I got this last time.  I'm gonna Locktite the bejabbers out of then just because I've had such bad lock wth the push in styles...about a dozen brands of them.

Archived